Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Paper books still have an advantage

Click image for larger version

Name:	upload1d714db.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	200487
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Those same paper books are also unreadable in the dark, unlike charged e-readers, and they're not waterproof, unlike modern e-readers.

These endless, and endlessly unfunny, memes are sad reflections of the desperate need to feel superior shared by many who read only paper books.

Despite being active on many social media forums in reading-related contexts, I've yet to come aross any reader of ebooks (or audiobooks) peddling the "my preferred medium is best" line. That exact argument is VERY common from those who read only paper books though. The fact that someone posts this kind of defensive "paper is best" bakvaas in a forum explicitly focused on other reading media nicely illustrates the point. There is no "best" - reading matters, not the medium.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2023, 10:14 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
I like the convenience of eReaders, but I like the feel of a paper book in my hands. The experience is definitely different (for me anyhow).

I honestly don't think it has to be one or the other.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:16 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
These endless, and endlessly unfunny, memes are sad reflections of the desperate need to feel superior shared by many who read only paper books.
Don't you think you're overreacting a little? I thought the meme was humorous. Doesn't mean I'm going to throw out my eReaders any time soon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:59 AM   #5
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
eBooks have to be downloaded from a cloud system based in Internet services (MZN, Kobo, other e-bookshops, libraries, etc.), or sideloaded via USB to be read in an eReader, which, in turn, needs a computer or another device. All these things are common in our developed world today. This might change in a future, near or not. On the other hand, physical books just remain on the shelves waiting to be picked, and that's all.

I still keep my paper-library, although the chore of maintaining it (dust! dust! dust everywhere!) was my main reason to migrate to e-readers.
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also, when going on vacation, it's a real hassle to have to lug around all those pBooks. Plus, they'll add weight to your luggage. My Kobo take the same weight with 1 book or 200 books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, when going on vacation, it's a real hassle to have to lug around all those pBooks. Plus, they'll add weight to your luggage. My Kobo take the same weight with 1 book or 200 books.
As I've mentioned in several other threads, dropping an eReader containing 300 books on your foot is a lot less painful than dropping 300 paper books on your foot.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Everyone reads as they like. Ebook or eBook that is in the same book there are always the same words inside. I prefer ebooks unless there is a good reason to prefer printed books ie books with big important pictures such as art books, landscape books or large map books.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new forthcoming edition of Eragon by Christopher Paolini is coming out in a deluxe edition for color images. This is one case where the pBook is better unless you are reading with a large screen tablet and even then, I cannot say the Pbook is not better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post

Wow! I chuckled a little and moved on. I am confident enough in my way of doing things to not have a problem if those ways are being joked about. Hey, I might even crack a joke myself. (Not limited to how I read! Heaven knows...)
I have yet to meet (IRL or online) anyone acting "superior" because they read paper books vs ebooks. I have stumbled over discussions about listening to vs reading books and in those discussions there can be a hint of "superiority", but never over paper vs ebook.
Sometimes people ask me about why I don't want to read paper books (usually because they are kind enough to offer to lend me their copy of something they've read recently) and when I tell them about font adjustments and getting away from the hassle of holding books they always say words to the effect of "Ah, that makes perfect sense! Let's hope you can find the ebook!" And that's that. They go on reading paper books, I read ebooks and a third person listens to books and we share thoughts about the books. Not the media. Absolutely nothing about "superiority".
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I have yet to meet (IRL or online) anyone acting "superior" because they read paper books vs ebooks. I have stumbled over discussions about listening to vs reading books and in those discussions there can be a hint of "superiority", but never over paper vs ebook.
Wow. You must not get around very much. I certainly don't hear it as much as I used to. But the "real" books superiority crowd were/are very real.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wow. You must not get around very much. I certainly don't hear it as much as I used to. But the "real" books superiority crowd were/are very real.
Let's call me "selective" in what I engage in. If I find a Facebook group or forum to be populated with narrowminded loudmouths I just move on. I move on a lot...
(Over here in Swedden audiobooks have more or less taken over from reading. So maybe the few of us that prefer reading really don't care HOW the reading is done. Just a thought.)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:30 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. I've met enough people who say "I like to read REAL books". They may not consciously feel superior, but the fact they use the word "real" speaks pretty loudly.

I've even seen people using the phrase "real books" (meaning paper) among the MR members.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Claims that pbooks and ebooks are superior both have vocal crowds supporting their opinions. Though I'm not certain that either group is large enough to be called a crowd, they certainly generate verbiage.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I've met enough people who say "I like to read REAL books". They may not consciously feel superior, but the fact they use the word "real" speaks pretty loudly.
Oh, I hear people saying they read "real books", but often they use that term because they don't have a better one. They don't do it because they think it's "superior", but because they haven't tried any alternative besides audiobooks. Maybe they've tried reading on their cell phone, and if that would be the only alternative to paperbooks I can totally understand why they prefer "real books". I probably would too! As soon as they understand how a dedicated eReader works they tend to realize that it's pretty much the same thing as reading a "real book" and that's it. We can then move on to arguing/discussing about what genres or authors are "worthy" of our attention...