Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #31
Patitapetit
Connoisseur
Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Patitapetit knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle e Ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patitapetit View Post

I've used size 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Pie works as well. The Android 11 might not work because it is still in beta, who knows.
what is PIE?
Patitapetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patitapetit View Post
what is PIE?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

(For some reason this page is making me hungry...)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2023, 04:17 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And if you believe that more that 1 or 2 people in the world would do so, I have a bridge you might like to buy.
A very sad comment on humanity.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
(Although, for me, all the text in Patitapetit's posts is default size, but is huge in the posts of others quoting Patitapetit.)
When Patitapetit removed the size directives for which I thank them, it would not have affected posts in which those directives were quoted before the removal.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:03 PM   #35
Smitmiller
Smitmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And if you believe that more that 1 or 2 people in the world would do so, I have a bridge you might like to buy.
Chuckle. Raises hand. I am one of those maybe two people. Because I hated Amazon changing the Kindle UI, I side loaded everything, including KU books, and then I'd go to my Kindle4Mac and jump to the end of the book so that the KU author would get credit. When I found out that that didn't work anymore, I'd scroll through a KU book while doing something else until I got bored. That petered out over time until I was borrowing only a few books a month.
Smitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #36
cearp
cearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enough

Device: 📚
Clever trick!

Do we get the full quality / high resolution images when doing this?
Worded a different way:
Does the filesize as shown on the book's page on Amz's site roughly match the output file?
cearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #37
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Instead of installing Bluestacks you could just use the Windows Subsystem for Android.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearp View Post
Clever trick!

Do we get the full quality / high resolution images when doing this?
Worded a different way:
Does the filesize as shown on the book's page on Amz's site roughly match the output file?
No. You get the same version as eink Kindles get, but in color -same asthe download and transfer via USB Only K4PC or K4MAC gets full resolution.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #39
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Instead of installing Bluestacks you could just use the Windows Subsystem for Android.
Have you tried this and made it work?

I am not an Android expert and may be missing something but I have been unable to get "adb backup" to work under WSA. It gives the message "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation..." but I don't see any way to do that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

I am not an Android expert and may be missing something but I have been unable to get "adb backup" to work under WSA. It gives the message "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation..." but I don't see any way to do that.
That popup shows up in the virtual machine (or device). The Windows version is more akin of running android apps alongside windows, just like a chromebook runs android apps seemingly native (but it doesn't).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:19 PM   #41
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That popup shows up in the virtual machine (or device). The Windows version is more akin of running android apps alongside windows, just like a chromebook runs android apps seemingly native (but it doesn't).
I receive that output from ADB but there is no pop up anywhere that I can find to accept it. ADB always exits immediately and produces a zero length backup.ab file.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #42
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I did some time ago. I don't remember which guide I used. Maybe this?
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-t...on-windows-11/
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #43
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@jhowell Alternative to doing ADB backup and importing that resulting .ab file into DeDRM plugin config window would be having a rooted Android OS emulator (easily done when using BlueStacks (via https://bstweaker.tk ), but IIRC there are also custom Windows Subsystem for Android installer images that are pre-rooted and usually also come with Play Store and other Google apps included) and copy the /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/databases/map_data_storage.db (or whatever exactly was used at the time for that particular version of Kindle for Android app, I don't recall the details only that there used to be something before map_data_storage.db) and import that into DeDRM plugin config.

As I've done when I've had this particular idea (= using old Android app to get deDRM-able book files):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...12#post4287212

Only my testing wasn't done with as old Android app as @ownedbycats, I've tested with v7.6.0.39 (that downloads KFX files.

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-20-2023 at 01:11 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I receive that output from ADB but there is no pop up anywhere that I can find to accept it. ADB always exits immediately and produces a zero length backup.ab file.
I had trouble on a Nook HD and kept getting a 0 byte file. Then I noticed the nook had a full screen diaglog that had 2 buttons at the bottom of the display, one of which was to perform the backup. This was complicated by the top of the screen by a request for the key to unlock the device encryption, which I had trouble figuring out how to specify no key. I fumbled around starting from scratch a few times and finally the "do backup" button got enabled and I tapped it, resulting in a 41 byte file. Unfortunately, I the calibre dialog to import the key failed, claiming no file selected even though I went through all the steps to import a key, including selecting the file and clicking open.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:22 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I had trouble on a Nook HD and kept getting a 0 byte file. Then I noticed the nook had a full screen diaglog that had 2 buttons at the bottom of the display, one of which was to perform the backup. This was complicated by the top of the screen by a request for the key to unlock the device encryption, which I had trouble figuring out how to specify no key. I fumbled around starting from scratch a few times and finally the "do backup" button got enabled and I tapped it, resulting in a 41 byte file. Unfortunately, I the calibre dialog to import the key failed, claiming no file selected even though I went through all the steps to import a key, including selecting the file and clicking open.
My backup file is 222 MB. I don't know if it's supposed to be this big, but it worked.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote