Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
“My trouble is insomnia. If I had always slept properly, I'd never have written a line.”
― Louis-Ferdinand Céline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
since it's his birthday:

what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
- Charles Bukowski
One of my favorite authors.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club.
- Jack London
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"We slip into a dream, forgetting the room we’re sitting in, forgetting it’s lunchtime or time to go to work. We recreate, with minor and for the most part unimportant changes, the vivid and continuous dream the writer worked out in his mind (revising and revising until he got it right) and captured in language so that other human beings, whenever they feel like it, may open the book and dream that dream again."
-- John Gardner
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
kennyc

The historical truth is a fiction. OK, I did whatever I could to find out what happened from
surviving friends, family and media, but that is simply a skeleton upon which the story is draped.
This is the unmasking of the myth, and, as Jean Cocteau put it: “Man seeks to escape himself
in myth, and does so by any means at his disposal. Drugs, alcohol, or lies. Unable to withdraw
into himself, he disguises himself. Lies and inaccuracy give him a few moments of comfort.”
I wanted to go beyond a recreation of the past to discover meaning in the degradation of my
addiction experience. The past is another country and not my prime interest. It’s more what
the past can tell us about how we deal with the present moment.
- William Pryor

(writing about: Survival of the Coolest: A Darwins Death Defying Journey into the Interior of Addiction)

Last edited by kennyc; 12-31-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
Marcus365
The Bayou Classic1
Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: none
I Decline To Accept The End Of Man

The poet, the writers duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage, honor and hope, and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice that have been the glory of the past. William Faulkner
Marcus365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #21
MichelleLouring
Owl Lady
MichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Android Tablet
“When writing a novel, that’s pretty much entirely what life turns into: ‘House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.”
― Neil Gaiman
MichelleLouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
This is a great thread! Thanks guys!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #23
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm reminded of Robert Newton Peck.

"Fiction is folks."
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #24
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
"I was going to write like James Branch Cabell, which would have taken a lot of doing. Before that, I was going to write like Rafael Sabatini, and like Talbot Munday, and like Rider Haggard, and even, God help us, like Edgar Rice Burroughs. . . . Eventually I decided to write like H. Beam Piper, only a little better. I am still trying."
— H. Beam Piper, The double:bill Symposium interview

(I got that from here, I presume it's authentic.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #25
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Neil Gaiman often has interesting things to say. On this 2004 link is the fairly well known quote:
Quote:
There's no magic answer, I'm afraid. This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until it's done. It's that easy, and that hard.
But I also found this bit further down, which strikes a chord with me at the moment (more in another thread):
Quote:
Most people can start a short story or a novel. If you're a writer, you can finish them. Finish enough of them, and you may be good enough to be publishable. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
"I worked in the Hallmark public relations department for a man named Conrad Knickerbocker, the public relations manager, who had already begun publishing book reviews and fiction. After I got to know Knick a little, I asked him timidly how you become a writer. . . . He said, "Rhodes, you apply ass to chair." I call that solid gold advice the Knickerbocker Rule."

From: How To Write: Advice and Reflections (Richard Rhodes, 1996)
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #27
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Gaiman's quote above reminds me of the supposed Strauss quote about playing the piano: "You just hit the right keys at the right time and the thing plays itself."

Regarding the Knickerbocker rule and advice from Gaiman above, sure it's good advice, but so is "get out of bed each morning" or "eat your vegetables." It's a bit obvious and has nothing particular to do with the topic of writing. Sure it's important to be reminded that doing anything takes applied effort, but that could come from any successful person in any field.
If I were to attend a writing workshop with an author I admire, and I only got advice like "work hard" I'd ask for my money back.

I fully understand that an interview is not a workshop, authors are not our personal writing teachers, and they are not obligated to tell anything. And indeed, whatever they might have to say can give you interesting insight into the person, but when ever I hear that kind of "eat your veggies" advice when I was hoping to actually get some insight into the craft at the foot of a master, I'm disappointed.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
but when ever I hear that kind of "eat your veggies" advice when I was hoping to actually get some insight into the craft at the foot of a master, I'm disappointed.
There is no secret ingredient in Secret Ingredient Soup.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
[...]If I were to attend a writing workshop with an author I admire, and I only got advice like "work hard" I'd ask for my money back.[...]
Sure, there is an element of "you get what you pay for" in all this. But the reason why this rule comes up repeatedly is that it is the first and biggest stumbling block of would-be writers, and it is very often the answer to many questions regarding writing: How do you get past writer's block? How do you improve your writing? Where do you come up with your ideas? How do you finish a story?

Even the quote I posted earlier from Stephen Donaldson (about giving himself permission to write badly) boils down to this oh-so basic first rule. Yes, it is basic, yes, it applies to all such skills, and no, you wouldn't want to pay for the advice. But until it sinks in and you start using it, no writing workshop is going to be much use to you.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #30
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Another one from Mark Twain:
"I can't stand a man who can only spell a word one way!"
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote