Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 (retired), Kindle Oasis 3
Having a difficult time on downgrading

Hi there!

I am relatively new at Kindle modding and just got KOreader working.

I might have missed steps here and there but I ended up with Amazon getting latest firmware on my device.

So now I DO have the jailbreak but KUAL would not open and even though log mrpi installs KUAL it does not show up.

I tried navigating online for similar issues but none were like mine, since they all had KUAL working.

I am now trying to downgrade my kindle oasis 3 to a previous version, but log runme does nothing since kindle deletes the bin file if it is an older version. Porting the KUAL icon simply ends up with application cannot be started error

Downgrader does not open since KUAL would not open and manually running the sh script from log runme only reboots the kindle.

Any advice? It is jailbroken, but I need to somehow access the options menu that normally would show up in KUAL to downgrade this kindle to a usable state.
nicknackpaddywak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Sounds like you may have the Kindlet version of KUAL installed when you need the Booklet version. Get hold of the latest "coplate" version of KUAL and install it using MRPI.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Sounds like you may have the Kindlet version of KUAL installed when you need the Booklet version. Get hold of the latest "coplate" version of KUAL and install it using MRPI.

Dave
I think you might have misunderstood what I meant.

I am very sure I have the coplate version of KUAL. As I said, MRPI shows it is installing but KUAL does not show up. I then ported the KUAL from my PW2 but it failed to start.

The downgrader extension was for KUAL but now since kual is not available but I AM jailbroken I need a way to run it from log runme to downgrade the device to a version compatible with KUAL and prevent it from upgrading.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
This thread describes the steps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=downgrade

Do you have ssh access? If so you could run the script logged in from a computer.

Or you could install kterm and run the script from that.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:49 PM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknackpaddywak View Post
I think you might have misunderstood what I meant.

I am very sure I have the coplate version of KUAL. As I said, MRPI shows it is installing but KUAL does not show up. I then ported the KUAL from my PW2 but it failed to start.

The downgrader extension was for KUAL but now since kual is not available but I AM jailbroken I need a way to run it from log runme to downgrade the device to a version compatible with KUAL and prevent it from upgrading.
I believe I saw you note in another thread that you are now on 5.15.1.1 firmware. If that is so, your jailbreak may have been disabled as that version has relocated the keystore.

I believe NiLuJe is working on this, as I imagine the bridge code will need to be updated to take the change in location into account.

It may be possible to copy the jailbroken keystore to the new location, but that may only be possible during the boot phase when the bridge code runs.

Hopefully there will be word on this soon.

Dave
Old 03-29-2023, 11:16 PM   #6
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
This thread describes the steps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=downgrade

Do you have ssh access? If so you could run the script logged in from a computer.

Or you could install kterm and run the script from that.
I do not think it is that complicated

I now have the extension. What I a trying to figure out now is how I use log runme to run the script that normally would be run within KUAL

It seems that normally in kual they would have to choose their device. Now I am trying to do that by using Log runme.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:36 AM   #7
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
If you’re new to this, you’re not the best judge of what is or isn’t complicated. Classic example of the XY problem.

Personally, I’d just install USBNet via ;log mrpi, SSH in and edit the file manually.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:36 AM   #8
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
If you’re new to this, you’re not the best judge of what is or isn’t complicated. Classic example of the XY problem.

Personally, I’d just install USBNet via ;log mrpi, SSH in and edit the file manually.
Yes I appreciate your help but I spent half a day trying to set up USBnet and it proved to be too complicated. I believe the jailbreak is half broken as I only have the log commands now and log mrpi shows it is installing USBnet but I am left with a blank screen after a minute or so. Then I have to force restart the kindle and nothing changed.

In other words, I think mrpi is not working after this update and I need the log runme to do what downgrader would usually do.

I tried using filebrowser but log runme would give me a blank ip and using ;711 is giving me an ip would end up with cannot connect

One thing is certain: Amazon needs to go to hell for wasting my precious time on such an update.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknackpaddywak View Post
Yes I appreciate your help but I spent half a day trying to set up USBnet and it proved to be too complicated. I believe the jailbreak is half broken as I only have the log commands now and log mrpi shows it is installing USBnet but I am left with a blank screen after a minute or so. Then I have to force restart the kindle and nothing changed.

In other words, I think mrpi is not working after this update and I need the log runme to do what downgrader would usually do.

I tried using filebrowser but log runme would give me a blank ip and using ;711 is giving me an ip would end up with cannot connect

One thing is certain: Amazon needs to go to hell for wasting my precious time on such an update.
I would suggest you download the log files from your Kindle and inspect them. My suspicion is that you have been bitten by the 5.15.1.1 move of the keystore and thus your attempts to install anything signed with a developer key is being aborted as the key is not in the new keystore.

Dave
Old 03-30-2023, 12:37 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, MRPI should, ironically, be the *only* thing working (in terms of being able to install custom packages) on a salvaged JB on FW >= 5.15.1.1

The post-MRPI blank screen softlock is a known (and documented) issue on newer firmwares, too, so it's not (necessarily) an indication of failure. Trust what MRPI displayed *before* it attempted to restart the UI.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-30-2023 at 12:39 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:40 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can check both MRPI's log (in extensions/mrinstaller/log) or the syslog (;dm in the searchbar) for more details.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:11 AM   #12
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, MRPI should, ironically, be the *only* thing working (in terms of being able to install custom packages) on a salvaged JB on FW >= 5.15.1.1

The post-MRPI blank screen softlock is a known (and documented) issue on newer firmwares, too, so it's not (necessarily) an indication of failure. Trust what MRPI displayed *before* it attempted to restart the UI.
Alright. Thanks for your reply. I was not expecting such a fast reply...

So from what I understand, MRPI is working? But without KUAL how am I able to start USBnet? Or filebrowser? Or the downgrader? I am a bit confused.

And does the ;log runme command still work? I think it does, because it displays hello world, but how do I run the downgrader or other extensions from log runme? Copying the downgrade.sh and renaming it runme only reboots the device, and does not change its version number for downgrading.

I prefer UI to coding, so that is why I have been nagging about the idea of running it from ;log runme

I am an Android Geek from XDA, and I am a bit new to Kindle tinkering. I first came here to let more people know about the project to install Android forks on Kindles... So please bear with me (and treat me with a patience I did to XDA noobs who did not even know about ADB)

Last edited by nicknackpaddywak; 03-31-2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:00 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

MRPI working means you *should* be able to reinstall KUAL and have it work. I *think* people have successfully done that, but I have no personal experience with that (my own PW5 is happily sitting in airplane mode at its out-of-box FW ).

Once again, just check the logs.

The ;log stuff should work (barring the usual post-update couple of reboots), but doesn't really help you run KUAL stuff without basically writing a whole lot of boring wrapper scripts. ;log mrpi is a specially crafted shortcut built entirely as a QoL feature to ease some of the insane amount of hoop-jumping involved in the JB process.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-31-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 AM   #14
nicknackpaddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
MRPI working means you *should* be able to reinstall KUAL and have it work. I *think* people have successfully done that, but I have no personal experience with that (my own PW5 is happily sitting in airplane mode at its out-of-box FW ).

Once again, just check the logs.

The ;log stuff should work (barring the usual post-update couple of reboots), but doesn't really help you run KUAL stuff without basically writing a whole lot of boring wrapper scripts. ;log mrpi is a specially crafted shortcut built entirely as a QoL feature to ease some of the insane amount of hoop-jumping involved in the JB process.
Thanks for your reply.

I actually remember a similar blank screen...

Last year I was trying to get alpine Linux chromium using a guide on this thread. It was working on this KOA3 but it seems that that repository has not been updated since a few years ago and it was meant for slightly older devices. Trying to update chromium and extend the system extension space from 1GB was painful and in the end I just gave up and deleted the whole system.

What really annoyed me the most was the infamous blank screen when I tried to restart from alpine. I either had to force restart it, or, as I found out later, I could simply let it hibernate and then after a really long time (about a whole night of 10 hours) the UI restarted after it exits hibernation.

I'll try that and see if it works, although I believe the reason for causing the blank screen is different in this case.

But all this is by the assumption of me that the Kindle OS would render KUAL useless after the restart. Perhaps I am terribly wrong.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:23 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Completely different blank screen, yeah (there are *a lot* of ways to softlock the Kindle UI ;o)).

Because maybe third time's the charm: check the MRPI logs (at the *very* least! On the upside, they're much much more human-readable than the syslogs, and they won't have rotated the important stuff right when you need it ;p).