Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #196
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I started A Town Like Alice yesterday and I'm with those who really like the book. It is much better than I had expected after reading some earlier comments. Without the book club, I doubt I ever would have read it and that would have been a loss.

Keep reading, Jon. There is romance ahead.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #197
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
... I'm with those who really like the book. It is much better than I had expected after reading some earlier comments. Without the book club, I doubt I ever would have read it and that would have been a loss.

Keep reading, Jon. There is romance ahead.
all of the above!

The romance is not blatant, but present; specifically in "act 3".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #198
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This is absolutely a romance. Just keep going.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #199
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I started Alice last night and finished it this morning. Very interesting story.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, I do plan to keep going as I am (so far) liking the story even though I've yet to find any trace of romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #201
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm a bit over half-way in A Town Like Alice, and I now realize it's that film I was so fond of back in the 70s (yeah, the film is older, but I didn't see it until in the 70s), that I was so happy when it came a mini series back in the 80s. The reason it didn't click until now is that the title is something completely different in Swedish (Five Black Chicken).
I am so thrilled to revisit this story again, this time in book form!
And it is definitely in the right category! Even though there is a lot more in it, the romance is the foundation of the book!
Loved the old movie - loved the Tv series - love the book (so far)!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #202
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'm a bit over half-way in A Town Like Alice, and I now realize it's that film I was so fond of back in the 70s (yeah, the film is older, but I didn't see it until in the 70s), that I was so happy when it came a mini series back in the 80s. The reason it didn't click until now is that the title is something completely different in Swedish (Five Black Chicken).
I am so thrilled to revisit this story again, this time in book form!
And it is definitely in the right category! Even though there is a lot more in it, the romance is the foundation of the book!
Loved the old movie - loved the Tv series - love the book (so far)!
I really liked that BBC mini series. I am glad that I read the book, as there were many aspects in the book that did not make it into the production for television. Unfortunately most of those were things that I disliked. Looking forward to the discussion.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #203
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The discussion thread for A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute has been posted.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote