Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Which Kobo's can run Android / rooted linux?

I'm interested in the lighted models--Glo, Aura HD and Aura. Can they all be over-written with Android? I understand the new Aura doesn't have an internal SD-card.

Also, which one's can operate as a Linux tablet using the technique developed recently?

In addition, is the light functional for each device / OS combination?

Thanks up front.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I primarily want to know about the Aura 6" (not the HD). Is it possible to install Android on it? And maybe Linux? And if so, how well does it work?
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I know of one person who said that their 6" aura did have an internal SD card. If it does, then it could definitely operate as a Linux tablet, and maybe android could be gotten to work. But I don't know how many people have actually opened their aura to see what kind of internal storage it has.

The glo and aura HD can both run just about every hack here, including android and Linux. The frontlight can be controlled in android, but I haven't tried in the Linux tablet hack.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I primarily want to know about the Aura 6" (not the HD). Is it possible to install Android on it? And maybe Linux? And if so, how well does it work?
Judging from some photos of the internals of Aura 6" (Go here and get the Internal Photos.pdf), there is no internal SD card.
At page 2, you can clearly see the Sandisk chip they using.

Thats the reason I bought the Glo.

Last edited by embryo; 05-09-2014 at 09:30 PM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired

From what I've read about the Aura 6", it probably can be overwritten with Android, but it's harder to do than on the other models, and more dangerous. In addition, I have yet to see a post from someone that has actually done it...

I was interested in the Aura 6" because it's on sale for less than the Glo at the moment(!) and I believe the light can be turned down lower. I have sensitive eyes and this is a big deal for me. I might get a Glo at some point, and use the night-view mode with the light.
Advert
Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I was interested in the Aura 6" because it's on sale for less than the Glo at the moment(!) and I believe the light can be turned down lower. I have sensitive eyes and this is a big deal for me. I might get a Glo at some point, and use the night-view mode with the light.
For me the night mode doesn't make it darker, because the light (coming from the side) turns Black to Gray.
I use night mode all the time with my phone, but it has an AMOLED screen, and Black is Black.

There are two hardware versions of Kobo Glo.
The serial on the box is 613Axxxxxxxx for the older and 613Bxxxxxxxx for the newer one.
They have a different hue of white, and the newer can turn the light lower.

There is also a hardware hack that someone can do if s/he has some experience.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

That's very useful info. Thank you. Could you say how the light in the later model goes? Does it go down as low a PW (which is to, almost all the way)?