Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Calibre for 1st gen iPad mini?

I'm looking for a way to provide ebooks to my grandchildren (live in the boonies far from any library) without having to root a Nook. I do not want devices that connect to Amazon or any other retailer.

I read an article that suggested using a 1st gen iPad mini as a dedicated e-reader. They say there are apps, in addition to the Kindle app, for reading epubs, too.

I would prefer using Calibre; the children could use the reader without knowledge or worry about the format of the book.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Are older versions of Calibre available (assuming the current ver likely would need a more powerful os)?

Thanks!
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There isn't a version of Calibre that runs on tablets or mobile devices. There is an app called Calibre Companion which can interface with Calibre on a computer to transfer books via a direct wireless connection or the Calibre content server, but it doesn't contain a reading app.

Some of the more popular non-store reading apps (for DRM free content) for iOS that I can think of would be MapleRead, Marvin, Hyphen & tiReader. All of them do ePub. tiReader is supposed to do a bunch of formats, but I'm unsure how well it handles all of them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre doesn't run on the iPad/iPhone operating system - IOS. It runs on Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

There's an IOS version of the Calibre Companion app, but as its name implies its dependent on having access to the calibre library management application. Here's the MR Calibre Companion forum.

If you look in the MR Apple Devices forum you'll find info about reader apps.

Tip: make sure you look in the sticky threads at the top of those forums

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Unless you already own a 1st gen iPad mini, I would suggest a different device. Even navigation is very slow on it. Also, the way iOS works, each application is sandboxed and there's no direct access to the file system. I would recommend an Android tablet of some sort.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There isn't a version of Calibre that runs on tablets or mobile devices. There is an app called Calibre Companion which can interface with Calibre on a computer to transfer books via a direct wireless connection or the Calibre content server, but it doesn't contain a reading app.

Some of the more popular non-store reading apps (for DRM free content) for iOS that I can think of would be MapleRead, Marvin, Hyphen & tiReader. All of them do ePub. tiReader is supposed to do a bunch of formats, but I'm unsure how well it handles all of them.
I've never owned an Apple device. I was interested because it would have been relatively inexpensive and in color. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre doesn't run on the iPad/iPhone operating system - IOS. It runs on Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

There's an IOS version of the Calibre Companion app, but as its name implies its dependent on having access to the calibre library management application. Here's the MR Calibre Companion forum.

If you look in the MR Apple Devices forum you'll find info about reader apps.

Tip: make sure you look in the sticky threads at the top of those forums

BR
Thank you. I think I will stay away from Apple devices. The cost factor and color viewing seemed attractive, but , , ,
Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Unless you already own a 1st gen iPad mini, I would suggest a different device. Even navigation is very slow on it. Also, the way iOS works, each application is sandboxed and there's no direct access to the file system. I would recommend an Android tablet of some sort.
Can Calibre be installed on an Android tablet or would I still need to use reading apps?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
Can Calibre be installed on an Android tablet or would I still need to use reading apps?

Thanks for your help.
Same things apply to Android devices as Apple devices. They are COMPANION devices (just less pricey )
You still need a Windows / MAC / Liniux box to host the Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
There is no Calibre on Android but there are a number of ebook reader apps available. There's Calibre Companion on Android and this version is actually more advanced than the iOS one.

However, there are usually plenty of ways to transfer books from Calibre (on Linux/Mac/Windows) to Android tablets (USB, SD card, wireless, cloud storage). You also have access to the file system similar to your computer. Lack of file system access can be a deal breaker for some users that they wouldn't even consider iOS.

Note, I do use iOS devices for reading (primarily with Marvin) but I've learned to work around its limitations. I use Calibre's Content Server or Dropbox to transfer content.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
lburg801
Enthusiast

Smile Thanks folks!

I'm learning.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's important to note that Calibre Companion itself is NOT a reader. If you use it you'll still need reader apps, and you may need more than one, e.g. I have different reader apps for comics, ePubs and PDFs.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It's important to note that Calibre Companion itself is NOT a reader. If you use it you'll still need reader apps, and you may need more than one, e.g. I have different reader apps for comics, ePubs and PDFs.

BR
Thank you. I understand, and it will be a bit of a problem with the younger kids. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a Calibre app?!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Thanks to you and everyone who responded. I am choosing either an 8" (probably) or 10" Lenovo tablet and will use an sd card.

Any recommendations for android reading apps for drm free content?

Regards
lb
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
Thanks to you and everyone who responded. I am choosing either an 8" (probably) or 10" Lenovo tablet and will use an sd card.

Any recommendations for android reading apps for drm free content?

Regards
lb
Moon+ Pro
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Moon+ Pro

DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote