Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #91
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have decided to keep my defective PaperWhite, and live with the lockups.

Why? Because of another thread here on our forums, "Amazon behaving badly (again)"
If it was me that influenced you in your decision, then I apologize for that. I am assuming since you quoted me. For your sanity you could do 2 things now that you are writing the one PW off as loss. First try to fix it yourself by replacing the battery. And second, bite the bullet and buy a new PW (they are still on sale for $80 for Prime members).

And please don't come to the wrong conclusion that I am defending Amazon. I have been lucky with Amazon CS so far, especially every time I end up on a higher tier in support. If it was something simple, I would have already fixed it myself. My secret? I don't demand right away to get to tech support, but let the first person figure out that they are at the end of their rope. Sometimes it is refreshing that the first person I talk to has enough technical knowledge to understand my problem. But alas, the last time I still needed a higher tier because of insufficient rights to view my whole account info.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #92
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
It's been about 3 months since my last post in this thread, and since then, my Paperwhite has NOT locked up again. I've probably read 5 books in that time frame. My Paperwhite has been in airplane mode continuously, so it was not a firmware update that might have "fixed" the problem.

So why does it appear "fixed" at the time? I have no idea. Corrupted books? We'll never be able to prove or disprove that. It would seem unusual that all the books I was reading several months ago just happened to be corrupted, every one of them, and now all the books I am reading are not corrupted. But that is at least theoretically possible. All of the books I've read this year have been library checkouts via Overdrive (AZW3 format) except for one that was an Amazon Prime free download. So while each book is unique to itself, the source of where I'm getting them from remains the same.

So, for whatever reason, my Paperwhite has been well-behaved these last 3 months. Now that I've posted this, it will probably lock up again tomorrow. That would be just my luck!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote