Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Interestingly, I never get the word "more" on my screen anywhere. But just messing around, I've found if I do a search for, say, Modesitt, and it gives me the three random books, if I click on the search icon on the keyboard at the bottom, it gives me all the books by that author!! Who knew? And it doesn't try to connect to wi-fi.

Can someone else confirm?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Interestingly, I never get the word "more" on my screen anywhere. But just messing around, I've found if I do a search for, say, Modesitt, and it gives me the three random books, if I click on the search icon on the keyboard at the bottom, it gives me all the books by that author!! Who knew? And it doesn't try to connect to wi-fi.

Can someone else confirm?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Glad your got your device to search for you.

I was looking at the new model (NOOK Glowlight 3). Is that what you're using?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My post about the search facility in the Glowlight 3 referred to the in-book text search. I rarely use it to find books. I use it a lot to recall character names.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hi Jim,

Glad your got your device to search for you.

I was looking at the new model (NOOK Glowlight 3). Is that what you're using?
Yes it is. I left a review of it on the initial Nook Glowlight 3 thread. I'm still figuring things out, obviously. It's great to read on, and the battery lasts a while (unlike my Oasis, which needs to be charged every other day.)

I still don't have any takers on my Fintie cover, so if you decide to buy the NG3 and feel comfortable giving me the particulars, I'd be glad to send it your way. Not expecting compensation, it just seems a shame to throw it away (I've explained why I'm not using it in that initial review.)

I've ordered a sleeve from St. Petersburg Russia, though it wasn't until I'd placed the order that I realized where it had to come from. Hopefully I won't be poisoned by it when it gets here.

Thanks for your help, by the way, which sent me searching for a solution to my problem. No such instructions in the manual, of course.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
It thinks you're searching for products to purchase.

We need to face the fact that B&N only cares about the NOOK as a marketing device. Our side-loading doesn't make them any money, so they can't justify investing any expense in improving that aspect. There's a certain logic to it.
I understand that. But then Kobo and Amazon feel exactly the same about their e-readers. B&N isn't unique there.

But those other manufacturers don't have the nag messages to turn your Wi-Fi on, the way the Glowlight 3 does (well, at least Kobo doesn't. I'm assuming Kindle doesn't either).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote