Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
eisendm
eisendm began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
PRS-505

Hi all,

I recently got a "new" PRS-505 fron SONY because my first device stopped working. I installed the new bookstore software, registered my new book, and then attempted to upload my books to the new reader. Every time I try this, it either freezes the software, or downloads all of the books and then I can't open them. All of my books show up in the list, but when I attempt to read one, it says "locked file" or something similar. Does anyone know how to fix this? All of my books are from the sony bookstore, so I am not trying to upload any other format.

Thanks!
Dawn
eisendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sounds like you've been DRMd, Dawn. Hold for an expert. Good to have your company. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yep, you're a victim of DRM restrictions.

You have to authorize your new 505. Unfortunately, despite being a 505 owner myself, I can't tell you how to do that, because I don't buy DRM-restricted ebooks -- partly as a matter of principle, and partly so I don't have to deal with situations like you're in now. However, someone will undoubtedly be along soon who can do something much more useful than prattle about DRM. Until then, possibly a check of your owner's manual (it's an ebook) or the Sony website might help.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, I hate it when the answer is "It depends", but ...

If you have bought protected stuff from Sony, then you need to go to the Sony store and associate your new Reader with your account. You might want to remove your old one, just to conserve your available slots.

Same sort of deal with Adobe DRM Editions. Under the Library function click on authorize computers and follow along with the Wizard.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There are ways and means of stripping the detested DRM, Dawn, but we're not allowed to discuss them openly here because they're only borderline legal. My advice would be to chalk up your earlier purchases to experience and to avoid in future ebooks that carry any type of Digital Rights Management restrictions as you re-build your library. Best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
eisendm
eisendm began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Thanks for your help. I did authorize my new one, and can't figure out how to deauthorize the old one. Can anyone help with that?

Thanks
Dawn
eisendm is offline   Reply With Quote