Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your maximum for what you will pay for an ebook?
$5 or less 32 17.49%
No more than $10 90 49.18%
No more than $12 16 8.74%
No more than $14 15 8.20%
No more than $16 6 3.28%
No more than $18 0 0%
No more than $20 1 0.55%
I have no maxiumum, it depends on the book 20 10.93%
Other 3 1.64%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Depends. The price of the ebook must be equal or less than the cheapest paper version. That's my only absolute.
This. When I see the pbook version is cheaper, I won't buy the ebook version (and most often, simply buy another book...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #32
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
95% of the books that I buy are (paperback) below $10, so that's what I expect to pay for ebooks. One of the greatest advantages to having an ereader was that it was supposed to "pay for itself" in the long run since ebooks are a tiny bit cheaper than pbooks. For a new title I'll pay up to $20. I religiously follow about 20 authors, so if new book of theirs came out I'd have no problem paying that price. When the ebook is more expensive than the pbook on a regular basis? That's not cool, and stop being so greedy.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I feel $10 is about right for a new ebook. I used to buy some hard back books new with my member's discount and it brought the price to around $12-$15 and that was my upper limit. Most of the time I would wait for it to hit the bargain table just before the paperback was released and buy it for around $6. Cost and storage space were two of th major reasons I wanted to switch to ebooks, and in no way in my mind should they cost more than a printed edition.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #34
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I feel $10 is right.

Although I may have been conditioned by the $9.99 pricing but also because that is the discounted/sale price for most trade paperbacks and what I paid before e-books. Part of the reason I justified buying an ebook reader was because books wouldn't cost me more (I had long held off buying an ebook reader earlier because of prices I saw in the Sony bookstore).

I also have this rule of thumb that even if its below $10, the ebook must also be at least $1.00 cheaper than the current sale price of buying it new in paper. Because I can't pass it on (which I do with my paper books).

Sadly, I am buying a lot more paper lately
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #35
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I am amazed at the number of people who say $10. If I want the book, I'll buy it. To me an eBook is worth more than a pBook.

I think that placing a "I won't pay more than X price" on a book is a great way to kill the eBook market. If a publisher can make more selling a hard back than an eBook, they'll just delay the release of the eBook.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #36
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
I think that placing a "I won't pay more than X price" on a book is a great way to kill the eBook market. If a publisher can make more selling a hard back than an eBook, they'll just delay the release of the eBook.
But I don't generally buy hardback books either. I am a book junkie, I typically read 8-12 books a month and buy even more. So price is not irrelevant or I couldn't afford to read.

Do I have exceptions? Occasionally, but very rarely is there a "must read now" where I can't wait.

And if the ebook doesn't fall within my price limit, I will buy used so the publishers get the message.

I could pay more if I were more selective in what I buy, but I'm not that well behaved
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #37
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
But I don't generally buy hardback books either. I am a book junkie, I typically read 8-12 books a month and buy even more. So price is not irrelevant or I couldn't afford to read.

Do I have exceptions? Occasionally, but very rarely is there a "must read now" where I can't wait.

And if the ebook doesn't fall within my price limit, I will buy used so the publishers get the message.

I could pay more if I were more selective in what I buy, but I'm not that well behaved
So how about a system that sold an eBook for $20 on release day and eased it down to $5 over five years (like what they said the agency model would do).

Buying a book when it hits the price you want seems like a better way to send a message to publishers than buying a used book. At least that way you are supporting the Author, and letting the publisher know exactly what price you are willing to pay for the content.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
So how about a system that sold an eBook for $20 on release day and eased it down to $5 over five years (like what they said the agency model would do).

Buying a book when it hits the price you want seems like a better way to send a message to publishers than buying a used book. At least that way you are supporting the Author, and letting the publisher know exactly what price you are willing to pay for the content.
As I stated, my threshold is that the ebook at least $1.00 cheaper than what I can get the trade paperback (because that is what I used to pay). Because the cost of an ebook is slightly less to produce and I can't share it. It's principle for me.

I just looked at my wishlist...most books in trade format are only cents more than the ebook. In 2 cases, the ebooks is more than the trade paperback Most books still only in hardback are now $14-$15 in e-book. One was priced at $9.99 and even though it wasn't at the top of my reading list, I just bought it for positive reinforcement that I liked the pricing.

Like your earlier post, my fear is that the ebook market will go away. If paper sales go up, that is what the publshers want. If you don't buy from the publisher at all, then maybe they will realize they are impacting overall sales by doing this...not just the ebook sales. You and I have different ways of sending the same message based on our buying criteria, that's all.

I'm don't want to hurt the authors either but I would like to see they need to send a message to the publishers as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #39
Boston
Fanatic

I should also mentioned that I just bought an ebook when it dropped to $9.99. The publisher delayed the ebook release and then it originally priced it at $13. They dropped the e-book price when it announced the tradebook release date. As the ebook was still available 2 months before the announced release date of the trade version, I bought it.

It's all about personal price tolerance which is different for all of us (as the poll and posts show).

Last edited by Boston; 04-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #40
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Just curious, in light of the new price-gouging agency model (decade-old paperback $1 cheaper than print! They're all heart) if anyone has bought any books yet under the new pricing and what your thoughts are on how high they can take you for. I have still been adding books to my wishlist (mostly at Kobo since Fictionwise doesn't have anything good anymore) and some books I would have impulse-bought in the past (e.g. books to replace a paper version taking up shelf space in my tiny home) I am wishlisting and not buying. With the exception of maybe 1 author where I really would be willing to pay to have it right away, I just can't see myself paying more than $12 for an ebook---$10 is my limit but Canadian books seem to be $2 higher so I have bumped it a little. But more than that, I'll wishlist it and wait.

So, do you have a ceiling? What is it?
I still pretty much buy books by the "lowest price gets me." If the used copy is too high, I try interlibrary loan. For ebooks, I haven't paid over 5 dollars yet. BUT I have passed up at least two books that I really, really wanted...they were in the 7 dollar range. That instant gratification is hard to turn away...and someday it will get me. But most of the time I can find a lower price. Seven isn't out of the question, I just haven't bought an ebook yet at that price.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #41
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
$10 unless it's something I really, really want.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #42
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I said $10 but I think a ebook should cost less than a paperback copy of the same book. So I would not pay more for an ebook than I would a paperback. I would expect the ebook to be at least a few dollars less since it must cost them less to produce an ebook than it would a paperback.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #43
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For me it depends what book it is. For fiction I don't like to pay more than 10 US dollars, Euros or Pound Sterling for it depending on where I buy the ebook (I'm lazy and don't want to check exchange rates every time I buy a book). I might make an exeption for something I really really want but that hasn't happened yet.

For non-fiction I'm willing to pay more because those tend to be more expensive as pbook also. I haven't really set a maximum for these books I only buy a book when I think it's worth paying the set price for it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
For me it depends what book it is. For fiction I don't like to pay more than 10 US dollars, Euros or Pound Sterling for it depending on where I buy the ebook (I'm lazy and don't want to check exchange rates every time I buy a book). I might make an exeption for something I really really want but that hasn't happened yet.
Off-topic.... You can use Google to check exchange rates very easily. Just type, for example, '9.99 USD in EUR' (or in GBP - Pound Sterling).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #45
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
$0 is my price point. I have 700 e-books on my machine, and every single one of them was free. I don't see the need to pay for books when there are so many great classics out there free of charge.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote