Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
congrats Moejoe! I'm just a little over 3 years smoke free! and I was a very dedicated 25 year smoker! I soaked a bunch of toothpicks in cinnamon oil and always had one in my mouth for the first couple of months to help with the oral addiction.

I need to lose some a swell *sigh* between quitting smoking and blowing out my knee, I've some unanswered poundage. the Doc wants me to swim not walk. I need to find a pool.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #32
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
My pool's open, but only 70 degrees this morning. It keeps you moving if you get in, that's for sure.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #33
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Forgive me father for I have sinned...
I stoped smoking on may 18th, but just had a ciggy...extremely bad day. I found out I have absolutely no self-control when in a bad mood. The rest of the time I'm holding on though!
I did also quit smoking in January for two whole months (started again after a few nights out), started yoga and better eating, and lost 40 pounds in the last 5 months...it was my first reflex after a bad breakup. Since quitting my job is also a "breakup", lets start again the good habits!

I'm with you all, let's change our lives right now!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Forgive me father for I have sinned...

I'm with you all, let's change our lives right now!
there you go!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #35
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
My pool's open, but only 70 degrees this morning. It keeps you moving if you get in, that's for sure.
that's a hell of a drive for a morning swim!
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #36
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Hooray for all the freshly-minted non-smokers! My wife's father died of lung-cancer when she was 14. She's a rabid proselytizing anti-smoker for some reason. (I wonder what it could be?)

Anyway, I'm all in favor of anyone who's quitting, working on quitting, or successfully quit. And the rest of you who've embarked on other improvements are doing great things too.

I'll be sending the conga rats in your direction!

Xenophon

(What, me? Pay no attention to the extra 15 pounds behind the curtain...)
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #37
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
::::sigh::::
I was about to get up from my desk to go smoke, when i decided to check the llounge....

::chin in hands::

I've quit soooo many times... i've won at pretending i love myself
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #38
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
that's a hell of a drive for a morning swim!
Well, it's shorter for me...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #39
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Well, it's shorter for me...
and here I thought it was an invitation!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I know...........I need a 'patch'.

You know. Like the smokers get.

Only mine would flood my senses with the taste of mashed potatoes, or fried potatoes, or cheezeburgers and fries.

I'd pay biiiiig.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #41
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Confession time?

I smoked for 44 years; 46 years if you count the first 2 not yet totally addicted years. Well, I did manage to quit once for 14 months in my 20s, but started back up again.

Chronology:

I was 12, my sister was 15. She decided if she's gonna get in trouble for smoking, then so am I. So she had me smoking right along with her and her friends. What the *ell do I know at that age! Big sister (who beats me up once a day whether I need it or not) giving you cigarettes, Mary Tyler Moore & Dick Van Dyke advertising cigarettes on TV, Marlboro Man on billboards and magazines, and every TV show and movie actor/actress smoking, and your dad smokes too. It's easy to get cigarettes from your dad (Pall Mall unfiltered no less) and back then storekeepers had no problem selling cigarettes to a 12 year old.

From age 12 to 14 my smoking was sporadic since I wasn't with my big, bad sister constantly and wasn't "hooked" yet.

By age 14 I was smoking pretty steady. It was easy to make excuses for doing it. It was cool, everybody did it, it was socially "expected," smoking was still advertised extensively. You could smoke EVERYWHERE: department stores, grocery stores, all municipal buildings, buses, airports/airplanes, Dr.'s offices, hospitals (even in patient rooms,) EVERYBODY smoked EVERYWHERE.

Like RWood said, cigarettes were under 25 cents/pack, under $2/carton. Even a kid could afford them. There was no Surgeon Generals Warning telling of the health risks.

I've heard many times that drug addicts who smoke cigarettes and also do cocaine have found it easier to quit using cocaine or other drugs than kicking nicotine.

Not only is it the addiction you must conquer, but the BEHAVIOR as well. You need to totally alter your behavior. It's hard to stop unconsciously reaching for that cigarette after dinner, when you get in the car, when you walk out of a store, when you leave work, when you walk the dog, when you're sitting on the deck with a cool drink, etc.

Well, to keep a long story from getting much longer, I managed to quit again 20 months ago.

I REFUSE to be one of those recovering smokers who PREACH to current smokers about quitting. That's the LAST thing a smoker needs, is to be preached to. It's been my experience that preaching hurts more than it helps, and it doesn't INSPIRE one little bit.

So all I can say is GO MOEJOE! CONGRATS.

And to everyone else who is tackling the challange as well.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
pshrynk

Quote:
and here I thought it was an invitation!
No, no. The invite stands. I just checked with the Montsnmags Legion of Undead Lawyers, Inc., however, and they told me I wasn't responsible for geographic dislocations, no matter how much of it I actually created. So, come on in! The water's freaking COLD!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Congrats Moejoe. I quit in November last year. My last promise to my father so I had to try. Once you get past the 3rd week it gets a lot easier.

Oh and I have really noticed the money difference too. Ciggies are over £5 a pack and I used to do 8 packs a week. In fact I just realised my quitting has more than paid for my PRS 505 - whooot.

Anyway Congrats again and go for it Sir
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #44
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
No, no. The invite stands. I just checked with the Montsnmags Legion of Undead Lawyers, Inc., however, and they told me I wasn't responsible for geographic dislocations, no matter how much of it I actually created. So, come on in! The water's freaking COLD!!!!!
ahhhh! tain't nuthin! I'm used to glacier pools! when I'm ready for a cheese fix, I'll stop by for a dip!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #45
pshrynk

Quote:
ahhhh! tain't nuthin! I'm used to glacier pools! when I'm ready for a cheese fix, I'll stop by for a dip!
Towels are in the smaller of the boxes if I'm not in or conscious. Never mind the screaming woman, that's just SUmkIII, whom I always forget to inform of the "invitations" that I scatter around. She's really very nice. Just use the password "Harv and Vera in Morocco."