Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
EPUB2 vs EPUB3

Not sure if I should be posting this to the EPUB forum or the Kindle threat, so if anyone thinks it would be better in the Kindle forum, please let me know.

Now that Amazon has implemented EPUB for Send-to-Kindle and will discontinue the MOBI format for that feature eventually for Send-to-Kindle (legacy files are okay):

(1) do I convert my files to EPUB2 or EPUB3? My EPUB output is currently set to EPUB2 in Calibre as a default, but I'm wondering if I should set it to EPUB3 when I'm converting an older EPUB file or an AZW, AZW3, or MOBI file so that I can send it to my Kindle via email.

(2) is there a way to look at the metadata of an EPUB file in Calibre to check if it's EPUB2 or EPUB3? I can't seem to find how to do that.

Thank you.
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by langshipley View Post
(2) is there a way to look at the metadata of an EPUB file in Calibre to check if it's EPUB2 or EPUB3? I can't seem to find how to do that.
Yes, see image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epubv3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	198960  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
langshipley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yes, see image...

Thank you.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Also, if you want to see which of your books are still in epub2, you can use the Quality Check plugin. Bring up its commands, do a Search Epubs and have it search for 'version="2.0"'. I have it ignore case and look in the HTML and OPF.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:47 PM   #5
langshipley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Also, if you want to see which of your books are still in epub2, you can use the Quality Check plugin. Bring up its commands, do a Search Epubs and have it search for 'version="2.0"'. I have it ignore case and look in the HTML and OPF.

That's great, thank you. I'll need to check out the plug-in. As of right now, I do not use many plug-ins.
Advert

Tags
calibre, epub, epub2, epub3, kindle