Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
Ellio
Ellio began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Seriously? You removed the back cover and didn't just hold down the power button for 10s or more?

I'm not convinced I'm getting 6 hrs battery life but its certainly a decent period of time. I tend to charge with it off, and overnight. I haven't experienced any battery issues.
I hold the power button down for 10s or more and nothing happens.

I've been having nothing but problems so far. I had the kobo animation (book unfolding and displaying "kobo") looping for all eternity and being unresponsive. I contacted customer support and they were useless, telling me to hold the power button for 10s, when that wasn't doing anything, they told me to reset on the back, and that did nothing either.

Eventually I managed to get it out of that infinite loop, I don't even know how I did it, and now the yellow light is constantly on, my battery indicator says "?", and if it ever goes to sleep, I have to pop off the back cover to restart it in order to get it to wake up again.

This is insanely frustrating.

EDIT: Power button doesn't even do anything for me, doesn't turn it on, doesn't put it to sleep, nothing.

Last edited by Ellio; 11-08-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Ellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellio View Post
I hold the power button down for 10s or more and nothing happens.

I've been having nothing but problems so far. I had the kobo animation (book unfolding and displaying "kobo") looping for all eternity and being unresponsive. I contacted customer support and they were useless, telling me to hold the power button for 10s, when that wasn't doing anything, they told me to reset on the back, and that did nothing either.

Eventually I managed to get it out of that infinite loop, I don't even know how I did it, and now the yellow light is constantly on, my battery indicator says "?", and if it ever goes to sleep, I have to pop off the back cover to restart it in order to get it to wake up again.

This is insanely frustrating.
Sounds like the issue with the battery firmware that KoboJW noted earlier. Have you tried updating the firmware again?
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
SoulTrain
SoulTrain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
SoulTrain - thanks for your patience. We are actively investigating this issue, and hope to a resolution soon. Hopefully, this is not a constant thing for you. Of course, ideally it never happens to anyone. But we are listening, and working to make it better.

James
I guess my question is, if I keep this device and this problem is not resolved, will Kobo give me my money back after the store return period is over? I am not satisfied if the solution is to completely shut down in order to charge the battery.
SoulTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I had the same issues with my Coby 7022 I sent back. It could not decide what level the battery was. It was like a yo-yo. The Vox and Coby tablets seem to have the same issues.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Ellio - you need to run the firmware update app in the app tray. The ? battery indicator is a clear sign that your firmware did not update correctly. When you run it, please make sure the device is sitting flat on a table. We have heard some (very, very few) reports that the updater can fail if orientation changes at a certain point during the update.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

You should not be satisfied, and we certainly are not. We expect to be be able to resolve the issue very soon via a software update.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTrain View Post
I guess my question is, if I keep this device and this problem is not resolved, will Kobo give me my money back after the store return period is over? I am not satisfied if the solution is to completely shut down in order to charge the battery.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
tuner45
tuner45 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Battery issue

I tried everything hard reset ( 10 second hold ) etc wiped data and restarted, the only way the charger shows the right amount of charge is to pop the cover and press the button next to the battery. I am going to the store today to exchange, I think I have a bad one.
tuner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #23
Michael Sherman
Michael Sherman began at the beginning.

Well, this is the second Vox in a month to totally die on me today. Can't boot up, no lamp on unless charger is plugged in, but not charging it seems. I had 25% remaining charge when I left it charging in the sleep mode. No apps besides system running. I really like the Vox, but don't want to go through this again, especially because of all the time wasted just setting it up right.

Not sure where I'm headed with this, but a store return is essenntial.
Michael Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
Michael Sherman

Hold on! I decided to try popping off the back cover and hitting the reset button like tuner45 and others have tried, and Voila!- it came back to life. I am a happy camper again, but wary to more unknown issues. If this is the equivalent of rebooting your computer to restore things, I don't have a problem with this. We are constantly rebooting our computes and consider that just the price we pay to live in "computer heaven". If I had known about this feature, I would have likely not had to replace my first Vox, as it did the same thing. Why is this feature not listed in user documents as a restorative measure? Why is there not a pin hole aligned with the cover to allow a paper clip reset? I think most of the frustration people are getting is due to the poor documentation of features and processes with this device. Kobo should reissue an entirely new User Manual to all purchasers of the Vox.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Had you tried the 10 second hold on the power button then a usual press on it before this?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #26
Michael Sherman

Yes, I new about that, and had tried it about 300 times! I learned that "routine" from a customer support person who attempted to help me with my first Vox. Then I learned another "routine" which includes hold down the top button of the volume control while hitting the on/off button briefly which provides another level of rebuild, from Darrell at Kobo in Toronto. None of these worked in any case. I would consider the 10 second hold-down as Option #1, the quick start with volume + hold-down as Option #2, and if either of these don't fix a problem, then go to Option #3 -reset with button on back panel. Option #4 is return to seller/toss out the window/burn it/etc.!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
Michael Sherman

One last question I have is whether there is a secure way to recharge the device and avoid the power up problems. There are a few suggestions floating around, and I would like to try to get a handle on the safest way. I plan to proceed on the basis that the device will be completely shut down with normal shut down procedure before connecting the charger and see how that works out in the long run.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Michael - I would advise a revision to your ordering. The Volume and power on combination is a factor reset. The back panel button is just a forced reboot. The former will wipe your data, the latter will not. I would try the back panel reset option first.

James

p.s. This issue should not be a problem for very much longer #hint
Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
p.s. This issue should not be a problem for very much longer #hint
Love those hints.

And your servers are going to be rather busy when the OS update is available. I assume that the upgrade is going to be spaced out over at least a day as otherwise your servers and connection will be swamped.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
Michael Sherman

Thanks James. I didn't realize that. A data wipe is exactly what I have been trying to avoid!

So to clarify, I would list Option 1 to be the 10 second power switch hold-down, Option 2 as reboot via button on back panel and if either of these don't fix the problem, then go to Option #3, the quick start with volume + hold-down, which wipes data.

Is Option 3 the same as clearing the device to factory defaults as found in the Privacy settings?