Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Albert Anton
Albert Anton began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
vox footnotes not working

Right now I have to read the footnotes on my itouch kobo app for the book I am reading on the vox. This seems odd. Also, fairly irritating. I received a follow-up asking for details by email for a phone enquiry I made about this on December 31 from someone called Katrina B. At first this cheered me as it came the same day as I made a phone call but I have heard nothing back since then.

I did a factory reboot. I downloaded the current kobo reader to the vox but footnotes did not work on that either. I have the kindle reader on the vox. Footnotes for the same book work on the kindle reader on the vox but not on the native vox kobo reader (I bought a second copy of the book just to test this.)

I wonder if somehow an early kobo reader version that cannot handle footnotes is bundled on the vox? I see that the kobo reader version on the vox is 1.0.717. The itouch kobo reader version is 5.2. But this is a long shot I think.

Anybody else have this problem?
Albert Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yes, the footnotes are not linked in the Vox reader, even though they show in blue. I also use Overdrive and Kindle Reader on the Vox and I believe footnotes work in those. Reading the same books I have in my Kobo Vox library on my PC using Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre, the footnotes also work. You have to realize that the Vox is still quite new and works on a different operating system than the Touch. The Nov17 build reader was very bare bones. The Dec17 build had a lot more features, but it's not there yet. I'm sure Kobo is working to bring the Vox reader up to par with other readers out there, but they have more pressing bugs right now. The way things are progressing, I'm expecting another update before the end of this month. Meanwhile, I'm using the annotations to bookmark where I'm at and the footnotes at the end of books so I don't get totally lost. Annoyingly, the top right-hand corner of my screen seems quite insensitive and I have to poke it half a dozen times to bring up the annotations.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Albert Anton
Albert Anton began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I see what you are saying oldyellr. It's a bit irritating but still very happy to have the vox - not living in a place where there are alternatives. Rather pledge allegence to the kobo.

Interesting use of annotations there. I will keep using the itouch as a footnote machine until the feature is added to the vox.
Albert Anton is offline   Reply With Quote