Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
bigeyes
bigeyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Fire HD 8 Plus
Format for Oasis

I have a current generation Oasis on the latest firmware.

On older kindles, I had no problem converting EPUB files to MOBI and loading the resulting files directly to the Kindle.

On the new Oasis, some old MOBI files did load. But newer files, especially form News Sources downloaded from Calibre, do not appear.

I have tried using AZW format but that does work either.

Any tips on best formats for latest generation Oasis?

I did try letting Calibre do the file management and conversions and that did not work either.

For what its worth, none of the files are encrypted.

I can't use these files on the Fire HD 8 either. Realistically I never did figure out what format works for the Fire HD and the Kindle app. I did purchase Moon Reader and that works. Of course that is not an option for the Oasis. But if anybody has ideas for the Kindle while they are at it I will be open to thoughts.

Last edited by bigeyes; 02-05-2021 at 09:35 PM.
bigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...id-not-show-up
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use the azw3 for my Oasis. No issues.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make sure your Calibre is fully updated.Then stop converting to Mobi. That's just so very wrong. Convert to KF8 (AZW3) instead and send that to your Kindle. It will be a closer match to the ePub that you are converting from. Plus, on the Kindle, you can use fonts of your choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
bigeyes
bigeyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Fire HD 8 Plus
So based on the information shared here, with emphasis from our developer, I have decided to clean out the Oasis, reset, and reload my books.

I have two sources of files; those from Amazon and those from Calibre.

Is there a smart way to separate the two when doing backups?

Basically I want to first remove the Amazon books, then back up the remaining Calibre books. I did not use Calibre to load all books in the first place; I had just copied the books over to the Kindle. For the rebuild, I would import everything that is not from Amazon into Calibre and use Calibre to load books on to the Oasis.

Does this new plan make sense and is there a smart way to do this?
bigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
So based on the information shared here, with emphasis from our developer, I have decided to clean out the Oasis, reset, and reload my books.

I have two sources of files; those from Amazon and those from Calibre.

Is there a smart way to separate the two when doing backups?

Basically I want to first remove the Amazon books, then back up the remaining Calibre books. I did not use Calibre to load all books in the first place; I had just copied the books over to the Kindle. For the rebuild, I would import everything that is not from Amazon into Calibre and use Calibre to load books on to the Oasis.

Does this new plan make sense and is there a smart way to do this?
Why separate the two? Unless you sync your Amazon books between different devices and therefore need the Amazon Cloud, or have extensive cloud collections you'd hate to lose, or use the Kindle Unlimited, the smartest way is to download your Amazon purchases to your PC, import them to Calibre and remove the DRM (if they have it). Then you can sideload all your books to your Oasis, without any need for separating, and have back-ups of your purchases as well.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, calibre, firmware, mobi, oasis