Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 PM   #1
cwalls
cwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (Europe)
Jailbreak not installing dispatch.sh

Hello,

I noticed that jb.sh neither installs "${ROOT}/usr/bin/logThis.sh" nor "${MKK_PERSISTENT_STORAGE}/dispatch.sh". (However the bridge still executes 'install_log')

I guess that there is a good reason for this, but I can't find it on the forums.. :/
The closest I found was in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564 :

Quote:
If [..] you're currently running FW >= 5.12.2, things get a little dicey: ;log may be gone.
But why?

Also I wonder what a 'OTA package' is, and how it is different to the normal update_*.bin files.

And what is the technical difference between 'Update_KUALBooklet_44a61b6_install.bin' and 'Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_44a61b6_install.bin'?
I realize that 'hotfix' variant was made to be used as UYK (Update Your Kindle), but what allows this?

Thank you
cwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Which jb.sh would that be? (There are... a few of them. Almost all of them historical remnants).

(None of 'em are current, the standard, not-a-maintenance-nightmare setup being a jb should basically just be "copy the pubkey, kthxbye". The heavy lifting is left to the bridge).

TL;DR: You're probably looking at old, frozen code left in maintenance mode.

----

I don't actually remember what 5.12.x did, but, yeah, it broke the command somehow. Hence, bridge and version checks.

----

The rest is all because of different package types and subtypes, see the KindleTool doc/code.

OTA goes through UYK, Recovery goes through the initrd updater. "Hotfix" packages are OTA & versioned, while (most) MRPI packages are OTA but unversioned (again, to ease maintenance).

Amazon hasn't actually shipped OTA packages in years. The closest OTA-ish stuff they actually still ship Over The Air are the language/font stuff. Official updates are fulll images, in a RecoveryV2 package.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-17-2022 at 04:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
cwalls
cwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheesecwalls can extract oil from cheese

I uesd the "K5 KindleBreak JailBreak (5.10.3 - 5.13.3)" from the snapshot thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030).

It was the newest I could find ("2021-Nov-15"), however i did use the files from "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip", not the Update*.bin files.

----

Something I noticed is that /etc/profile does not seem to get sourced, so e.g. DISPLAY is unset. I don't know if that changed in 5.12, but I think some years ago DISPLAY got set.

--

Btw, I think the kindle resetted my settings (or maybe "just" appreg.db), so kual failed to start ("Application Error, The selected application could not be started").

I tried to reinstall the kual-hotfix-update, but UYK stayed gray this time. Is it because its versioned and it knows it already installed this update?

I also wonder if there is a (quick) way to manually (from serial/ssh) install Update*.bin files?
One way I found is to extract the .bin file, and run the install.sh file.
I guess OTA packages always have such an install.sh script, right?
Old 01-22-2022, 12:30 AM   #4
cwalls

Is there a command to trigger "reboot + installation of recovery packages"? Would that work even in cases where UYK is gray?

I see that full/recovery update*.bin files contain uboot + main-kernel (uImage).
How/When do they get flashed? From initrd's recovery-util?

If that's the case, one can't create custom "full updates" without editing the initrd, since the keys are hardcoded there, right? Also how does the recovery-util know it's supposed to flash the update. Is there a flag file or the like?

And what is the recommended way to flash a new kernel? Can I just use dd from the main system?
Old 01-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalls View Post
Is there a command to trigger "reboot + installation of recovery packages"? Would that work even in cases where UYK is gray?

I see that full/recovery update*.bin files contain uboot + main-kernel (uImage).
How/When do they get flashed? From initrd's recovery-util?

If that's the case, one can't create custom "full updates" without editing the initrd, since the keys are hardcoded there, right? Also how does the recovery-util know it's supposed to flash the update. Is there a flag file or the like?

And what is the recommended way to flash a new kernel? Can I just use dd from the main system?
There's a lot of questions here that aren't really relevant to your original query, you should probably make threads for each of them as well, it would be good if you could explain what your original goal was in your first post so that we can avoid X/Y problem hell.

These threads cover recovery-util and patching the public keys within. It mounts the userstore early during boot and checks if an update is stored there. If it's valid for that device and signed with the correct keys, it will be flashed to the device.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak