Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
Amazon won't let you download the files?
Amazon only allows Kindle ebooks to be downloaded if you own a Kindle device or a Fire tablet. The ability to download is so that the book can be copied to the device via USB if a network connection is unavailable.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:13 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
Just wondering, the books you want to read are not available as epub in some other store than Amazon?
I still buy from Amazon because they have quite a few old (public domain) history and religious books that have been cleaned up and republished for the Kindles (for $0.99 cents or $1.99, which I think is fair for "cleaning up" the book). Very few of these are published at ePub sites. That's mostly what I buy from Amazon (unless something is on sale).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:00 PM   #18
BalooRJ
BalooRJ began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
Sorry for bumping this thread, but just to be clear: No one has gotten Kindle for PC 1.17 working in WINE, correct?
BalooRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalooRJ View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread, but just to be clear: No one has gotten Kindle for PC 1.17 working in WINE, correct?
This is why Windows is best for eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, Jon, that's just ONE application, that needs to be crippled to even work with Calibre. The Solution is any Kindle with FW 3.4.3 or later, oldest a Kindle Keyboard 3rd Gen (B006, B008 or B00A), not the slightly later DXG (model B009). Go Content and Devices and "Download to PC for USB Transfer". As long as the Kindle is registered you can copy serial number from Devices page and paste into the suitable Calibre plugin. Once registered the Kindle NEVER needs to have WiFi, or even work at all. It needs to not be blacklisted and work long enough to register via Wifi or Mobile (depending on model) once. A S/H needs to be deregistered and not blacklisted by previous owner.

People have had plenty of trouble with K4PC.

I used Windows for nearly 25 years. I only used k4PC for a short while on XP. I use all the same software (except they are later version) that I used on XP and Windows 7 (till 2016) that I use now on Linux. Last version of Office on Windows was Office XP. Switched to LO Writer on XP. I did buy Office Basic 2003 and 2007 (old stock) and registered them with MS (on WINE on Linux) out of curiosity and only used Office 2007 long enough to install classic menu instead of nasty Ribbon.

I appreciate many have to use Windows and some prefer it. But Win10 & 11 are so incompatible with older Windows some programs work on WINE and NOT on Win10 or 11 64 bit. MS offers XP or Win7 on the same VM software as comes with Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just tried it. 1.17 installed without issue under Wine but it won't connect (see attachment). I don't know if this is a general problem with version 1.17 or a problem with Wine specifically. I guess I could try the newest version of Kindle for PC to see if it would connect.

Since I own an old Kindle, this isn't really an issue for me (personally) but I'm curious if this can be used.

UPDATE: Tried 1.29 in Wine, it exited with a Runtime Error. I then reinstalled 1.17 and it actually asked for a login (twice) at this point, but rejected my login both times. Now it's back just saying "Unable to Connect."

So that's probably as far as I'm going to go on this. Unless someone wants me to try something else. I don't normally keep Wine installed but I don't mind doing so for a while (for testing solutions).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4pc.png
Views:	489
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	194542  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-25-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My understanding is that, even with Windows, you have to jump through hoops to keep version 1.17 working.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just tried it. 1.17 installed without issue under Wine but it won't connect (see attachment). I don't know if this is a general problem with version 1.17 or a problem with Wine specifically. I guess I could try the newest version of Kindle for PC to see if it would connect.
Yeah, that's the same issue I've had. I just gave up and stuck to K4PC on Windows.

Quote:
My understanding is that, even with Windows, you have to jump through hoops to keep version 1.17 working.
Unchecking 'automatically update without asking' is about it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, that's the same issue I've had. I just gave up and stuck to K4PC on Windows.
I can't even ping from Wine, so I probably don't have something set up right in the Wine networking. I've never had much luck with Wine and, worse, it has the "stench" of Windows all through it. For now I've just uninstalled it.

Quote:
Unchecking 'automatically update without asking' is about it.
I thought I read that Amazon was overriding that setting? Well that's good news for those who use Windows. Glad to hear it.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:20 AM   #25
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Incorrect. The above is exactly the setup I run. Kindle for PC version 1.17, running under Wine version 1.9.19, managed by PlayOnLinux version 4.2.12, on LinuxMint version 18, based on Linux kernel version 4.4.0-21. Works perfectly, although I choose to use "Download and Transfer via USB" instead. I have several systems - the one that I have K4PC installed on is an old one, as you can tell by the software versions I listed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K4PC.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	194543  

Last edited by haertig; 06-26-2022 at 12:25 AM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:22 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I thought I read that Amazon was overriding that setting? Well that's good news for those who use Windows. Glad to hear it.
When first installing it, there can be a problem where K4PC will 'helpfully' download the newer edition while you are first logging in, before you can go uncheck that option. So you close and restart and bang! newer version. But if that happens, just reinstall 1.17

For me, K4PC has been a 'set it and forget it' thing. Once you have it set up, you never touch the options again.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:53 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
When first installing it, there can be a problem where K4PC will 'helpfully' download the newer edition while you are first logging in, before you can go uncheck that option. So you close and restart and bang! newer version. But if that happens, just reinstall 1.17

For me, K4PC has been a 'set it and forget it' thing. Once you have it set up, you never touch the options again.
Okay. I misunderstood. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:02 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Incorrect. The above is exactly the setup I run. Kindle for PC version 1.17, running under Wine version 1.9.19, managed by PlayOnLinux version 4.2.12, on LinuxMint version 18, based on Linux kernel version 4.4.0-21. Works perfectly, although I choose to use "Download and Transfer via USB" instead. I have several systems - the one that I have K4PC installed on is an old one, as you can tell by the software versions I listed.
I'm using Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon (kernel 5.4.0-121) on this computer, which (by default) installs Wine 5.0.3. I haven't tried PlayOnLinux so I'll see if that makes a difference. Is there anything I need to know about Wine networking?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:06 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, 1.17 and 1.19 wouldn't log in for me on Windows.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:45 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I'm using Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon (kernel 5.4.0-121) on this computer, which (by default) installs Wine 5.0.3. I haven't tried PlayOnLinux so I'll see if that makes a difference. Is there anything I need to know about Wine networking?

Thanks for any advice.
I'm using Mint 20.1, Kernel 5.4.0-121-generic x86_64 and Mate 1.24 with a somewhat Server 2003 style theme.

The only issue I've had with 64 bit Linux is to add the x86 arch or else install of WINE is 64 bit only. IMO only the 32 bit WINE is worthwhile. Old programs where maybe author is dead, no 64 bit version of Windows and no similar Linux. My WINE is Wine-5.0 I only use it much now for Orbitron.

Orbitron is "cardware", he likes a postcard. It's 32 bit windows and uses the Internet to update TLS for the satellite positions. It just works. Nothing needed to be done for WINE. On WINE you can map USB parallel port and USB com ports to Windows ports, or indeed actual parallel & serial ports if you have them. The cheap "Windows" USB serial adaptor and cheaper (charity shop) USB to Parallel Adaptor, Wacom USB or Serial digitisers, Trust Webcam, Soundblaster USB audio box all just work on Linux without explicit install (on Windows some of those automatically load the wrong driver) A VM hosting a full copy of Windows needs the Guest Utilities for USB & Networking, that's true for XP & Win7 on W.n10 or 11 too. I have a 2002 Sony USB Web Cam with ONLY XP drivers. It works on XP on a VM on Linux (my 2002 laptop converted to an image or a fresh XP install on a VM) even though it doesn't work on Linux.

All the USB connected digital Cameras (inc Canon EOS 70D) just work on Linux. I have a PCIe Firewire card and the Sony 8mm Digital Camera works (nice NL video edit on Linux now, better than Adobe Premiere back on WFW3.11 & Win 98). My 2002 Epson SCSI Flatbed and an 17 year old SCSI PCI card work on SANE (Linux equivalent to TWAIN) as does last years networked scanner on a Brother full Duplex Colour laser printer. The Brother drivers for Linux seem good.

Orbitron

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-06-26 10-19-37.png
Views:	300
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	194552
It's ages since I ran it, so the sat & ISS positions unknown

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-06-26 10-20-08.png
Views:	70
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	194553
Downloading TLS from internet. No special configuration needed, so don't be running vulnerable Windows Server applications with no Firewall!

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-06-26 10-21-45.png
Views:	76
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	194554
And the ISS shown on the right

Now a four minutes later its on the left. Fast orbit

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-06-26 10-25-34.png
Views:	66
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	194555

And Orbitron does work full screen on my 3840 x 2160 monitor via HDMI from my Lenovo E460 laptop (The option GPU I bought on that adaptively runs for games and video etc that need it otherwise the integrated Intel graphics is used. I did have to download and install AMD drivers from AMD for the GPU on Linux, but I had to do that on every Windows ever with a high end Nvidia or AMD for games).

The one Steam game I ever bought on Windows 7 has Linux version, so when I installed Linux Steam (simple) and logged into Steam it installed and worked natively.