Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
newbie: PW2 with FW 5.6.5 experiencing some freezes - upgrade device? FW?

Hi all,

Something of a newbie here. I have a PW2 Kindle that I have left in airplane mode for the better part of a decade. Great battery life FW is 5.6.5, which I think is quite old. Books loaded via USB via Calibre (from library, gutenberg, amazon, etc.) pretty much exclusively.

My kindle has been freezing up a bit more often and I'm wondering/hoping if a FW upgrade would help it.

So the question is would you recommend monkeying with the FW to see if that fixes my issues, or just look for a new gen PW on the next sale? If a firmware upgrade should I JB instead? Not entirely sure what that gets me, but I generally like to take that route when offered.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
Hi all,

Something of a newbie here. I have a PW2 Kindle that I have left in airplane mode for the better part of a decade. Great battery life FW is 5.6.5, which I think is quite old. Books loaded via USB via Calibre (from library, gutenberg, amazon, etc.) pretty much exclusively.

My kindle has been freezing up a bit more often and I'm wondering/hoping if a FW upgrade would help it.

So the question is would you recommend monkeying with the FW to see if that fixes my issues, or just look for a new gen PW on the next sale? If a firmware upgrade should I JB instead? Not entirely sure what that gets me, but I generally like to take that route when offered.
I'd try a factory reset as the first step. If that doesn't help, upgrade the firmware. As to jailbreaking, no idea, as I've never jailbroken my Kindles.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If the current firmware has been working fine for almost 10 years I do not see how a firmware update will do anything about freezing.

A reset might clean up crud buildup. If that doesn't work, I suspect the emmc (flash memory) is getting worn out and a newer reader is in order.

I always recommend jailbreaking even as a just in case measure, but doing that would not address freezing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Thanks, got a plan. And yes, emmc death is the most logical. At least the new ones add waterproofing. So that's a bonus along w/ screen, proc, etc.

If I let the FW update doesn't seem like there's a lot of new/better functionality. I haven't needed anything from a jailbreak yet although playing with fonts is always nice.

Last edited by tagtag; 01-03-2022 at 05:22 PM.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware 5.6.5