Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
pubudupg
pubudupg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Post Unicode Support in Tolino

Hello All, I am new to the forum. If something is amiss with my post please let me know.

I have the following problem. I currently have a kindle paperwhite 3. There are some webpages I have downloaded and want to generate an ebook out of. Those pages are in my native language, which is Sinhala. I tried converting the html to AZW3 using Calibre and embedded the font. But the kindle doesn't use the embedded font and shows some gibberish https://ibb.co/ZHDSzf5 while a correct display should be like so https://ibb.co/PGxzr2n

I am considering switching to a different ebook reader which will support embedded fonts (for example a reader that can handle epub). I also considered jailbreaking the kindle to find a solution but unfortunately my kindle firmware is not supported by the jailbreaks.

What I would like to know from you is, what ebook reader will support this font? I would prefer if it's on the more affordable side (for example Tolino Page 2) but all suggestions welcome.

The following is a link to the files as AZW3 and EPub, with embedded font, in case you can try them out and see if it works on the readers that you have. If it does, plesae share a picture with me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1N?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pubudupg; 03-19-2021 at 03:43 PM.
pubudupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubudupg View Post
I have downloaded and want to generate an ebook out of. Those pages are in my native language, which is Sinhala.
All Android E Ink tablets should be able to handle it.
Boox Poke 2/3 ......, Likebook P6 .......
I couldn't show it with Tolinos.

Edit: to me it looks like the Likebook P6 could do it by default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0110.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	186045  

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-19-2021 at 04:41 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Both tolino and Kobo will do it. The attached screenshots are taken using my tolino epos and my Kobo Glo. The two screenshots for the Kobo are of epub and kepub. The first is your book unchanged and uses the Adobe RMSDK. The tolino will be using this as well, but, I don't know if they use the same version.

Kepub is Kobo's own format. It is basically an epub but Kobo has their own renderer which is based on what was once called ACCESS, but, whose current name completely escapes me. There are plugins for calibre to support the format so it is no harder to use than any other format.

In each case, the font choice on the device is "Publisher default" which means to use the built-in fonts. I fiddled a little with the size, margins and line spacing, but, mainly because I had set these on the Glo to something ridiculous the last time I was testing something.

The filenames should tell you which is which, but:
  • tolino-epos-test-sinhala.png - tolino epos - epub
  • kobo-epub-test-sinhala.png - Kobo Glo - epub
  • kobo-kepub-test-sinhala.png - Kobo Glo - kepub
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tolino-epos-test-sinhala.png
Views:	375
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	186050   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-epub-test-sinhala.png
Views:	347
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	186051   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-kepub-test-sinhala.png
Views:	483
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	186052  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
tolino-epos-test-sinhala.png - tolino epos - epub
Looks very different from my picture and also very different from Kobo's.
Kepub also looks different from epub.
But I can't Sinhala.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210320-111140[1].jpg
Views:	346
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	186058  

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-20-2021 at 06:15 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
pubudupg
pubudupg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Thanks @davidfor and @ottischwenk for your useful answers. I posted the question on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...09#post4104409 where I think it fits best, so that users with other eReaders can also help me out.
pubudupg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, reader