Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #16
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Ditto for anti being pronounced ant-eye .
Ooh! And quaze-eye.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sigh. You know it of course. "Saul." Like it was French or something!
Ha. When I first saw that as a kid, I said Salt Saint Marie. Yeah, I didn't even get Sainte right.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's got a soft c. It comes after the hard c. Seriously, just like accident. Or coccyx. I'm sure there are other examples. If it were spelled flacid, like acid, that would be different.

ETA: Or vaccine!

Flaccid is pronounced like flasid.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Flaccid is pronounced like flasid.
Nope. Like flaxid.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Issybird mentions Xe Sands. She does seem to be popular, but in the series of books I've listened to which she narrates, her "breathy sexy kitten" voice drove me crazy. That's the voice she uses for the non-dialog. Her dialog voices fit the characters, as best as I remember.
I'm not a fan of Xe Sands, not because of anything specific; I just don't care for the sound of her voice. Ditto Tavia Gilbert. Cassandra Campbell is getting on my nerves lately too.

I LOVE Madeleine Maby. She's my current favorite female narrator.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Cassandra Campbell is getting on my nerves lately too.
Hah! Another in my Hall of Infamy, after mangling Mrs. Adams in Winter: A Journey in the Last Days of Napoleon.

Why can't these narrators read, or at least skim, a book before they record it and if a word or place or name is unfamiliar, find out how to say it, instead of winging it?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Checked my Canadian Oxford English Dictionary and the only pronunciation it gives for flaccid is 'flasid'. 'Flaksid' has got to be a U.S. pronunciation.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #23
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Ooh! And quaze-eye.
LOL. That one is doubly bad.
And sem-eye and mul-teye, etc. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Last edited by llcj; 03-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
llcj
Addict

Quote:
It's got a soft c. It comes after the hard c. Seriously, just like accident. Or coccyx. I'm sure there are other examples. If it were spelled flacid, like acid, that would be different.

ETA: Or vaccine!
Often? Silent 't' or is it vocalized? Language is like that, isn't it?

My apologies for going of topic.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
When it comes to locations, unless it's near me, I probably wouldn't know the difference. I have no idea where "Sault Ste. Marie", let alone that it's said "Soo", not "Salt". I probably personally butcher all kinds of placenames. I listened to a book that recently had a bit of Welsh dialog and names in it. Assuming the narrator was right, I can only say I wouldn't have gotten any of the pronunciation right!
I personally don't care what they use, as long as it's consistent.

Quote:
Back to the original post, I'd have to say to some degree, whether a narrator was "good" or "bad" would be subjective.
Not always. I've listened to a book (can't remember which one it was...), or rather tried to listen, but it was so badly narrated, in a monotone, that I just couldn't hear where one sentence ended and the next one started.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Often? Silent 't' or is it vocalized? Language is like that, isn't it?.
Often is an excellent analogy. Frequently mispronounced and still wrong. . Another case where everyone says similarly constructed words (hasten, soften) correctly, but some inexplicably go awry when it comes to often.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #27
llcj
Addict

. So true.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Often is an excellent analogy. Frequently mispronounced and still wrong. . Another case where everyone says similarly constructed words (hasten, soften) correctly, but some inexplicably go awry when it comes to often.
It's an acceptable alternative, per Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary. Which also lists "flassid" as the first pronunciation for flaccid, with "flaksid" as the alternative.

So ... you want the narrators to use the secondary pronunciation for flaccid but the primary pronunciation for often?

Me, I don't care, as long as it's a legitimate pronunciation. Spelling, though--that's another matter. Maybe that's why I have become a convert to audiobooks--no spelling horrors to make me cringe.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For pronunciations, one that always takes me out of a book is Helo (like, "We have a Helo in bound). So many narrators pronounce it Hello (as in the greeting) when it's military jargon for helicopter and pronounced Heelo.

As for worst narrator. One that comes to mind is Ellen Travolta who did some of J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady books for Books In Motion ages ago. It was pretty obvious she'd had no training (or had and was just bad at it), but she would pause in odd spots to breathe or swallow and it just made things feel off. You could also faintly hear her turning pages as she read which is probably more of a general production quality issue than the narrators fault. AFAIK all of those books have been redone and put out by another publisher at this point.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Nope. Like flaxid.
Flaccid is mostly pronounced flas-id with the secondary pronunciation being flak-sid. Given that flas-id is the most used pronunciation, that what I would go with. Also, it sounds better.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-08-2017 at 03:48 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote