Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Would also be excellent to hear if people have enjoyed audiobooks over the literature equivalent of said book(s)
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks; I forgot about this series. I think I might start it this year. A quick check finds all 21 books available at my libraries. So cost will be zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This gets a hearty second from me, of course.

I pretty much was forced to start this series at virtual gunpoint. Ah, what I had missed all those years! But it doubly worked to my advantage, as I have the pleasure of them now and they came at a time when I was open to trying audiobooks. In fact, the second book of the series was my first audiobook and what a wonderful introduction to the pleasures of listening.

As good as the books are to read, they're an even better listen. Pure enjoyment.
I couldn't agree more. I've read them as regular books, and they're excellent, but they're even better as audio books. The only one I haven't read is the 21st, since it is really only an unfinished fragment.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Would also be excellent to hear if people have enjoyed audiobooks over the literature equivalent of said book(s)
I really enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire Audible version. But I just can't get started in the books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #19
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
I think autobiographies read by the actual person would be cool.
This is really interesting. I've never heard of autobiographies made as audiobooks myself. What I mean is I have known that they exist, but I've never purchased such. I really like Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, but sadly I can never hear it read by the actual person. Haha. It must be pretty awesome listening to it, like you're having a personal conversation with the author even if it's totally one-sided.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Simon Winchester reads his own books, including his somewhat autobiographical "Outposts". He's really quite good and has a very rich voice.

Audiobooks over the years have improved so much. While some of the non professional readers are pretty good, voice talent really is, well, a talent as well as a skill/craft. It's amazing how a really good voice talent can spice up a just ok book. It's also amazing how a bad voice talent (or perhaps I should say an inappropriate voice talent) can ruin a great book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I really enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire Audible version. But I just can't get started in the books...
I will check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
This is really interesting. I've never heard of autobiographies made as audiobooks myself. What I mean is I have known that they exist, but I've never purchased such. I really like Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, but sadly I can never hear it read by the actual person. Haha. It must be pretty awesome listening to it, like you're having a personal conversation with the author even if it's totally one-sided.
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Simon Winchester reads his own books, including his somewhat autobiographical "Outposts". He's really quite good and has a very rich voice.

Audiobooks over the years have improved so much. While some of the non professional readers are pretty good, voice talent really is, well, a talent as well as a skill/craft. It's amazing how a really good voice talent can spice up a just ok book. It's also amazing how a bad voice talent (or perhaps I should say an inappropriate voice talent) can ruin a great book.
Luckily I have not listened to any bad audiobooks, yet!
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:46 AM   #22
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the thread!! Hahaha. I was looking for this thread, for that Stephen Fry autobiography recommendation. I thought it was in "What are we listening to" thread which is n pages long. Hahaha.

I'm curious about the crime books on audiobook though, if it should be more thrilling that way. (I like the thought of trying out ASOIAF in audio but it would take too much time, the books itself took me a while)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #23
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
When you say Crime books are you talking about True Crime or Mystery/Crime Fiction?
For fiction I really enjoyed J. A. Konrath's Jack Daniels series.
I don't have any True Crime recommendations, sorry!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #24
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress

Both, silverraven! I could spend hours reading a mystery/crime fiction because those are the types of books where I just couldn't put down until I know what happens next (and no, haha. I don't go over the last page just to find out the ending.)
I'll look into the Jack Daniels series, thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #25
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Both, silverraven! I could spend hours reading a mystery/crime fiction because those are the types of books where I just couldn't put down until I know what happens next (and no, haha. I don't go over the last page just to find out the ending.)
I'll look into the Jack Daniels series, thanks a lot!
I mainly listen to mystery/crime fiction too. Love it! Fair warning, the Jack Daniels series is pretty graphic. So if you like more of the cozy mystery type this will not be for you.
S

Louise Penny (I just discovered this series, am enjoying so far)
Patricia Cornwell
Janet Evanovich (Cozy, funny)
Sue Grafton
Susan Hill (graphic)
Lisa Jackson (more romance)
Kathy Reichs (nothing like TV series)
Karen Rose Daniel Vartanian Series
PJ Tracy (wish they would write another one)
Sandra Brown (more romance)
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #26
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I mainly listen to mystery/crime fiction too. Love it! Fair warning, the Jack Daniels series is pretty graphic. So if you like more of the cozy mystery type this will not be for you.
S

Patricia Cornwell
Sue Grafton
Susan Hill (graphic)
I love Patricia Cornwell (Scarpetta Series) and Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan series)....working my way through both now. Have a few of the others mentioned on my list, but figured I'd better clear a series before I start another
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #27
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
S

Patricia Cornwell
Sue Grafton
Susan Hill (graphic)
Thanks Silverraven! I'm going to go through their books and find ones I can start to add to my 2015 books challenge!
Janet Evanovich seems to be more of my cup of tea so far, I'll have to take note to purchase her books first.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #28
kaaist
kaaist began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I listen to a lot of novels, biographies and non-fiction books as audiobooks. Here are some of my favorites:

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Autobiography of a Yogi (Paramahansa Yogananda)
Freedom From The Known (Krishnamurti)
Dharma Bums (Jack Kerouac)
The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

I put together a list of my favorite free audiobooks that has 100s more if you guys are interested:

100+ Classic Free Audiobooks For Listening Anywhere You Go

Last edited by kaaist; 02-26-2015 at 10:32 PM.
kaaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #29
kaaist
kaaist began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I highly recommend listening to Benjamin Franklin's biography. The way he thought, how he approached self-education and the unique way he lived his life is really inspirational. You can download it for free on LibriVox:

https://librivox.org/the-autobigraph...oodworth-pine/
kaaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, narrated by Steven Crossley
I've listened to this multiple times

Moby Dick narrated by Frank Muller.
I love it. Muller was born to narrate this one.

The Golden Apples of the Sun: And Other Stories by Ray Bradbury, narrated by Michael Prichard

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, narrated by Ron McLarty

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller narrated by Jay O. Sanders

Jurgen by James Branch Cabell, narrated by Robert Blumentheld
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote