Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember, for Kobo format you also need Mariissa installed.

Also no need to install python if you have calibre installed. From the command line just use calibre-debug.
Quote:
You can also use calibre-debug.exe to run standalone scripts. To do that use it like this:

calibre-debug.exe myscript.py -- --option1 --option2 file1 file2 ...

Everything after the -- is passed to the script.

Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-debug.exe that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. For example "C:\some path with spaces"
ie
Code:
calibre-debug penelope.py -- -p fr-tr -f fr -t tr --output-kobo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #62
Teom@n
Enthusiast
Teom@n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Also no need to install python if you have calibre installed. From the command line just use calibre-debug.

ie
Code:
calibre and marisa is installed with phyton. Thanks PeterT, I will try this as soon as possible.
Teom@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #63
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:

ie
Code:
Thanks a lot again PeterT Result is ok with some errors.
[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

How could I convert dicts another folder?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-30-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #64
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You DID update the penelope.py script with the location of marissa? See lines 43 to 56 in the script:
Code:
### Path to working MARISA executables ###
#
# Please modify according to your OS and installation path.
# Remember that each of the following variables
# points directly to the respective executable,
# not to the directory containing it.
#
# Examples:
# MARISA_BUILD_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-build"
# MARISA_BUILD_PATH="C:\kobo\marisa\marisa-build.exe"
#
MARISA_BUILD_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-build"
MARISA_REVERSE_LOOKUP_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-reverse-lookup"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #65
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:
You DID update the penelope.py script with the location of marissa? See lines 43 to 56 in the script:
Code:
#
# Please modify according to your OS and installation path.
# Remember that each of the following variables
# points directly to the respective executable,
# not to the directory containing it.
#
# Examples:
# MARISA_BUILD_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-build"
# MARISA_BUILD_PATH="C:\kobo\marisa\marisa-build.exe"
#
MARISA_BUILD_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-build"
MARISA_REVERSE_LOOKUP_PATH="/home/alberto/.bin/marisa-0.2.0/tools/marisa-reverse-lookup"
It is done

Thanks, it was my fault that you showed me PeterT. I have been edited penelope.py but I have missed it to re-edit for new destination. Thanks a lot again.
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #66
raziel_401
raziel_401 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello folks. I tried with the penelope and the instruction according to this site: http://sweetpepperspray.blogspot.com...s-to-kobo.html. After hours and hours of tries I still am unable to convert those dict to kobo with crashes coming up and sth like *.ifo file not found or wrong format. Can anyone explain to me the procedure for converting a monolingual dict and the cmd input to it? I would be even better if someone posted a monolingual dict like 'Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English' or 'Collins'. Please help a noob in need here...
raziel_401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #67
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
@rmreader : thank you for converting the English <-> Arabic and the Italian <-> German dictionaries. I added them to the first post. Apologies for the delay, I have seen your post only now.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #68
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dear all, you are all welcome for Penelope.

I just want to emphasize that I would like to keep this thread for listing custom dictionaries only, so that I can update the first post more efficiently.

Hence, I encourage everyone to post enquiries for new dictionaries or solving problems related to Kobo dictionaries in a separate thread, thank you.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #69
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone know how easy it is to convert a Kindle format dictionary?
Quite complex in general, and I gave up supporting the conversion of (DRM-free) Kindle dictionaries in Penelope, due to complexity and my lack of time.

The good news is that if you want to convert a "simple" Kindle dictionary (i.e., you are able to "easily" convert it into a CSV-like file), you can use Penelope from there. It really boils down to the complexity of your input Kindle dictionary, how much structured information you want to retain, and the time you might want to allocate on the task.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #70
DeuxExMachina
DeuxExMachina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Help with conversion

I having some trouble converting dictionaries with a MacBook.
Can someone convert a Russian-English dictionary? I found these two websites with free dictionaries:
http://wiktionary-export.nataraj.su/en/
http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/lingvo/

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Thank you Alberto for creating such an useful tool.
DeuxExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #71
rmreader
rmreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi DeuxExMachina,

I've converted the one found in the first link. Please report back if it is ok. Then Alberto can add it to the list.

Kind regards,
Ruud
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-ru-en.zip (1.06 MB, 3603 views)
rmreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #72
DeuxExMachina
DeuxExMachina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thank you very much rmreader.

The dictionary works like a charm.
DeuxExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #73
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Added, thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #74
rmreader
rmreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
English-latin and back

Hi Alberto,

I converted dictionaries english-latin and back. To use them in Holland you have to change latin to italian for some reason. It's completely unclear what language codes are accepted by the Kobo Glo and beyond me why they do not allow all language codes.

Kind regards,
Ruud
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-la.zip (201.2 KB, 1106 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-la-en.zip (10.77 MB, 1787 views)
rmreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #75
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Added, thanks.

As far as I understand, Kobo devices will load dictionaries only if the language (monolingual) or language-language (bilingual) correspond to one of the official language/language-language. In your case, you had to fake e.g. "English-Latin" as "English-Italian" because only the latter is officially available from Kobo.

About why Kobo does not support custom dictionaries: I have no decisive clues, as I do not work for them, however I guess it is just a matter of business opportunity: they decided that implementing the feature will not bring in enough cash to cover the associated costs (developing the code, integrating it, documentation and support), and they simply have not done it.

From time to time I bug them on Twitter, linking to the first post of this thread and asking at least for official documentation of the dictionary format, and I have never heard back. E.g.: https://twitter.com/acutebit/status/555299571832979456

Tags
kobo dictionaries