Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #31
orangpelupa
Enthusiast
orangpelupa began at the beginning.

Device: none
If we can get it rooted, we should be able 5o modify the key bindings.

Glad your front light getting better. Hopefully it stays okay
orangpelupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #32
Ryogo
Enthusiast
Ryogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Anyone has an update.zip to share?
Ryogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #33
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryogo View Post
Anyone has an update.zip to share?
yours doesnt get it thru the OTA/Auto update?

mine still shipping. will try to get the zip when i have the tablet on my hand
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #34
Ryogo
Enthusiast
Ryogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangpelupa View Post
yours doesnt get it thru the OTA/Auto update?

mine still shipping. will try to get the zip when i have the tablet on my hand
I do not own the device. Need that update.zip for different purpose.
Ryogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #35
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

Device: Icarus Illumina
They said a couple of weeks ago an update will be out in a month. I think that will be the first update. Try the inkbook site.

Screen light is still behaving. No isses. I hope they allow you to switch the buttons around in the update. I tried page rotation but the buttons don't switch/
carltonbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #36
dxwt
dxwt began at the beginning.

Ordered mine from amazon a couple of weeks back and so far it's been pretty good.

Battery life is decent, but not awesome. So far it seems slightly less good than my primary reader (kepler pro), but a better than my previous favorite (c67ml2). No problems with backlight,

It came with ADB server running as root already. No need to root, just adb shell in. I never bothered to install a superuser app, since I could do everything i wanted to do can be done from command line.

The system image includes the usual "toolbox" multi-call binary, but in a pleasant twist, it has busybox 1.22.1 as well. A quick remount of /system as rw and busybox --install /system/xbin and you've got a usable environment.

Hardware keys work fine with FBReader, but you do need to create a keymap.xml, see https://fbreader.org/content/documen...dings-settings for instructions.

The keymap.xml on that page will work with no modifications , but the four buttons on this device return only two keycodes--both page up buttons return the same keycode, as do the page downs. This means that you won't be able to (easily) map the right hand two as page up page down and the left two as (for instance) menu/hjome. Not as big a deal with this device as it has a hardware return button, and a helpful home button on the top bar

Side buttons are slightly clicky if noise is an issue. Addionally they seem to be easy to double trigger, can't tell quite whether thats hardware or software. May be my imagination but they seem to be more reliable with a very light touch.

No complaints about screen quality.

Works with (sideloaded) calibre companion, and recent versions of coolreader. Due to the influence of Onyx, ive become a fan of Alreader lately, but as previously mentioned it explodes on this device trying to call some onyx api that doesn't exist. Really hoping this one gets fixed.

Didn't fiddle much with the included apps.

Overall I'm happy with this device.
dxwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #37
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxwt View Post
Ordered mine from amazon a couple of weeks back and so far it's been pretty good.

Battery life is decent, but not awesome. So far it seems slightly less good than my primary reader (kepler pro), but a better than my previous favorite (c67ml2). No problems with backlight,

It came with ADB server running as root already. No need to root, just adb shell in. I never bothered to install a superuser app, since I could do everything i wanted to do can be done from command line.

The system image includes the usual "toolbox" multi-call binary, but in a pleasant twist, it has busybox 1.22.1 as well. A quick remount of /system as rw and busybox --install /system/xbin and you've got a usable environment.

Hardware keys work fine with FBReader, but you do need to create a keymap.xml, see https://fbreader.org/content/documen...dings-settings for instructions.

The keymap.xml on that page will work with no modifications , but the four buttons on this device return only two keycodes--both page up buttons return the same keycode, as do the page downs. This means that you won't be able to (easily) map the right hand two as page up page down and the left two as (for instance) menu/hjome. Not as big a deal with this device as it has a hardware return button, and a helpful home button on the top bar

Side buttons are slightly clicky if noise is an issue. Addionally they seem to be easy to double trigger, can't tell quite whether thats hardware or software. May be my imagination but they seem to be more reliable with a very light touch.

No complaints about screen quality.

Works with (sideloaded) calibre companion, and recent versions of coolreader. Due to the influence of Onyx, ive become a fan of Alreader lately, but as previously mentioned it explodes on this device trying to call some onyx api that doesn't exist. Really hoping this one gets fixed.

Didn't fiddle much with the included apps.

Overall I'm happy with this device.
Thanks a ton! That bindings xml and root access info would be handy
Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #38
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

NO UPDATE for inkbook explore.

Firmware says 2018 and it's the latest
Old 06-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #39
dxwt
dxwt began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangpelupa View Post
Thanks a ton! That bindings xml and root access info would be handy
My keymap.xml is simply:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
<binding key="92" action="nextPage"/>
<binding key="93" action="previousPage"/>
</keymap>

Stick it in whichever directory you've got fbreader configured to use as the book directory (e.g., mine is /sdcard/Books). You can reverse the key numbers if you prefer to swap the direction of the buttons.

As for root, once I enabled devloper mode (by the usual android tap the build number 7 times method) and connected with "adb shell" I got a # prompt immediately:

$ adb shell
root@evk_6sl_r6801:/ # id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:shell:s0

Factory-rooted, but only visible if developer mode is enabled. I've seen that behavior with a couple of chinese android devices before, so it's always worth checking whether you actually have to root it before spending a lot of time trying to.
dxwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #40
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

I couldn't get the keymap to work. Maybe it was my xml, I used an online converter. Definitely in the book directory. Not that bothered though.

Ereader is still behaving itself.
Firmware update should hopefully be any day now.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #41
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

i keep getting ghost touch. feels like a hardware defect as i can fix it by turning it to standby, then rubbing the screen with hand. then turning it on again.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #42
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

it seems inkbook explore = chinese iReader Plus

if we look at this https://github.com/seven332/EhViewer/issues/244

both devices are evk_6sl_r6801

can we use iRead's firmware on inkbook explore?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #43
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

Anyone able to run inkbook explore with ART?

It's on the developer option. Mine will not respond after a few minutes idle in home screen
Old 06-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #44
carltonbp
Connoisseur

That's taken a while for you to get it. Better late than never.

Sounds like the screen cover registering as a press. iirc in developer mode there's an option for each press to show a response, sorry I don't know how best to explain but every time you press there's a visual response where you pressed to show that you pressed. Perhaps turn this on and it might show where the issue is on the screen?

Ireader plus doesn't have buttons plus this is inkbooks new software so I'd be wary. Smaller screen too.

I have no idea what art is.

When I emailed inkbook about my issues they were very helpful. They couldn't solve the font size issue and the backlight issue solved itself but they were proactive.

I've bought a bluetooth remote, you never know it might work.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #45
orangpelupa
Enthusiast

Yes it shows random touches all over the screen.

ART is in the developer option. It should gives 10-20% performance boost.

How do you contact arta tech?