Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Body should just be <body> The rest of the rubbish you have there can go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Did your previous books work? Copy what you know works...

This is what you'll want:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">

<body>

Epubcheck >>> Flightcrew.

Epubcheck is THE important one (it's what the storefronts use for sale).

If epubcheck says the book is fine, the book is fine.

Flightcrew is older/outdated, and was really only there as an easy GUI in Sigil to quickly check some basic code issues. It squaks at some things that are correct because it hasn't been updated to handle such cases.

Note: In the future, attach images using MobileRead's built-in attachments. When you post, the icon looks like a little paper clip. This makes it so appear within posts fine, and makes sure they don't break the layout:

Attachment 171572

Also has the advantage of not disappearing if those external image sites die. So many older topics have busted images, and the information gets lost.
LOL I just changed it all over to

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-US">
What does the below mean?

Code:
Now I'm going to make flightcrew unhappy again. I'll probably be grounding the whole crew.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Body should just be <body> The rest of the rubbish you have there can go.
Thanks Jon. Yeah, I'm just going with <body>
Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #19
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
LOL I just changed it all over to

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-US">
Use both lang attributes. Why?
http://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/html/lang.html

Quote:
What does the below mean?

Code:
Epubcheck "is better than" Flightcrew
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Gregg,
If you are submitting to the Big A, only KDP approval counts in the end.
AFAIK passing the real standards does not count with many publishers. You must pass theirs. (I still recommend passing epub check, anyway, but you may need to de-tune your work for a specific platform)

Note also:
Passing anyone's standards, does not insure the work:
looks decent on the target device
Is free of spelling or word choice errors
does not contain <1,000 of other publishing faults >

Hitch mentioned a long time ago, her table full of various devices that are used for Eyeball Mk I checking That is the ultimate test of YOUR product
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Gregg, don't worry about making Flightcrew happy. You need to make epubcheck happy as that's the standard by which the ePub will be checked. Flightcrew is old and is not going to find as much as epubcheck will. Make sure you have the updated epubcheck plugin as it's been updated epubcheck 4.2.1 that was recently released. Publishers use epubcheck and not Flightcrew.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #22
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post

Side Note: And a single > is "greater than". Everyone knows that one.

In certain Maths, a double >> (≫) is used as "much greater than":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...ater-than_sign

Quote:
Gregg, don't worry about making Flightcrew happy. You need to make epubcheck happy as that's the standard by which the ePub will be checked. [...] Make sure you have the updated epubcheck plugin as it's been updated epubcheck 4.2.1 that was recently released. Publishers use epubcheck and not Flightcrew.
Exactly.

And Gregg has already submitted many books cleanly to all the stores. He just sometimes likes to go back and question old wisdom... and see if there's any more modern/better ways of doing things.

And sometimes there are, like now I'm incorporating a lot of the WCAG knowledge in my recommendations (like <html> with lang + xml:lang).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-23-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And Gregg has already submitted many books cleanly to all the stores. He just sometimes likes to go back and question old wisdom... and see if there's any more modern/better ways of doing things.
I always enjoy when Gregg pops in for a tune-up.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Beats me. One of these guys should answer.

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Gregg,
If you are submitting to the Big A, only KDP approval counts in the end.
AFAIK passing the real standards does not count with many publishers. You must pass theirs. (I still recommend passing epub check, anyway, but you may need to de-tune your work for a specific platform)

Note also:
Passing anyone's standards, does not insure the work:
looks decent on the target device
Is free of spelling or word choice errors
does not contain <1,000 of other publishing faults >

Hitch mentioned a long time ago, her table full of various devices that are used for Eyeball Mk I checking That is the ultimate test of YOUR product
Thanks Ducks. Yeah, I hear you. In fact, I just bought a Fire tablet to get a different perspective than just the Touch ereader. If KDP doesn't kick it back to me and it works good on my devices that's got to be good enough.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Gregg, don't worry about making Flightcrew happy. You need to make epubcheck happy as that's the standard by which the ePub will be checked. Flightcrew is old and is not going to find as much as epubcheck will. Make sure you have the updated epubcheck plugin as it's been updated epubcheck 4.2.1 that was recently released. Publishers use epubcheck and not Flightcrew.
Thanks Jon. I just got the latest epub check. (I didn't know it was there.) It shows up in the Plugin prefernece box as 0.4.1.3, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigilpreferences.png
Views:	150
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	171590  
Old 05-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:

Side Note: And a single > is "greater than". Everyone knows that one.

In certain Maths, a double >> (≫) is used as "much greater than":
But what is >>>?

Quote:

Thanks Tex. You're right, but it's also I don't want to screw up. And stuff changes so fast. Like I just opened Kindle Previewer 3 on a Windows 10 computer and it says there's a new version 3.30.0. I usually convert my .epub on my Linux computer in the terminal via kindlegen. But that kindlegen is only 2.9. So is the Kindle Previewer conversion better? (Stuff like that.) (And that question about the conversion wasn't rhetorical if you happen to know.)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #28
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I always enjoy when Gregg pops in for a tune-up.
Thanks Diap. I needed to smile. This stuff is fun but it also breaks my brain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headache.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	171591  
Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks Ducks. Yeah, I hear you. In fact, I just bought a Fire tablet to get a different perspective than just the Touch ereader. If KDP doesn't kick it back to me and it works good on my devices that's got to be good enough.
Unfortunately, that does not even guarantee a 100% win. (but I don't think they can reject your work for their error)
I have things lat pass and look good in Kindle Previewer3, Calibre and even K4PC and don't work out on my K4NT.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #30
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Beats me. One of these guys should answer
lol, a certain genius already answered it in Post #2!

Specifically the bolded "Another way of explaining:".

Quote:
But what is >>>?
"Much much greater than":

Epubcheck >>> Flightcrew

"Epubcheck is much much greater than Flightcrew".

Meaning exactly what JSWolf said, follow epubcheck over anything Flightcrew says, since epubcheck is what's actually used to validate in the stores.

Quote:
Like I just opened Kindle Previewer 3 on a Windows 10 computer and it says there's a new version 3.30.0. I usually convert my .epub on my Linux computer in the terminal via kindlegen. But that kindlegen is only 2.9. So is the Kindle Previewer conversion better? (Stuff like that.)
Probably just some bug fixes on their end.

Usually when it updates, there's a little popup window which states what changed.

Here's their official changelog:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleprevi...seNotes_EN.txt

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-23-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote