Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #406
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
^^^ That sums it up.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #407
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbar View Post
Let's face it, the thing is:

- The issue is not an issue of production quality but design/technology used

- Amazon won't be able to produce a device that does not have this issue

- Amazon won't admit this but when people complain about the issue amazon says the issue isn't expected and they send a replacement

- Many people are able to use the device without a problem in spite of this issue

- Many people are not able to use this device because of this problem

- It is disappointing that an expensive e-reader like the Oasis has an issue that prevents many people from using it even though they'd love to use it

- We can only hope for them to eliminate this issue in their next device, if there'll be any
+1 Not sure why so many others have trouble comprehending the issue.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #408
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Because we have seen or we own multiple units without the defects you claim are on all Oasis. Again, not doubting some have legitimate issues but they do not exist on all units. Not sure why some have trouble comprehending this.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #409
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
The goodereader review device had issues to me that went completely bypassed in their review, even though they acknowledged it in the video. Perhaps they don't care?

Shinytop, could you post a couple pictures of your Oasis in different conditions here? Maybe we could help you... It took me about six tries before I got a perfect kobo... And even then, its not perfect, but not flawed enough for me to be annoyed...
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #410
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

LOL, I don't need help, remember.
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #411
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Let's face it, the thing is:

- The issue is not an issue of production quality but design/technology used

- Amazon won't be able to produce a device that does not have this issue

- Amazon won't admit this but when people complain about the issue amazon says the issue isn't expected and they send a replacement

- Many people are able to use the device without a problem in spite of this issue

- Many people are not able to use this device because of this problem

- It is disappointing that an expensive e-reader like the Oasis has an issue that prevents many people from using it even though they'd love to use it

- We can only hope for them to eliminate this issue in their next device, if there'll be any

But it isn't only people's perceptions that differ. Screens differ too. I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant of normal quality control procedures but for such an expensive device I would have thought there would be a way to check for, and weed out, units with obviously bad screens.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 AM   #412
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
LOL, I don't need help, remember.
Apart from the gradients on the screen, most units also have these weird shadows and scallops going down the side too. Honestly, those are much more visible than the gradient. I would just love to see just ONE perfect screen. Even 5 star amazon reviews have photos attached that are clearly defective. I wonder if you look through the photos there - and look hard - if you can you see any of these artefacts amongst the pictures. As for seeing the faults in the flesh, I will admit it is hit and miss - when the screen appears 'blue', which was whenever I started using it, I had a perfect screen. But after my eyes adjusted, the screen faded to a yellow, with the blue becoming more and more drawn out and annoying. It's kinda like those magic eye things, its hard to find but once you see it youll never miss it. I guess I'm just gonna have to boil it down to one of those trans dimensional metaphysical anomalies :/

Anywho I'm out of this thread, this gradient scallop thing has been discussed to death. You either see them or you don't and it looks like either way, you lose. Excited for the kobo.

Last edited by cerem0ny; 06-28-2016 at 04:53 AM.
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 AM   #413
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
But it isn't only people's perceptions that differ. Screens differ too. I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant of normal quality control procedures but for such an expensive device I would have thought there would be a way to check for, and weed out, units with obviously bad screens.
+1

I'm sure that it would cost Amazon a lot of money to drastically improve their quality control. With so many blissful people in the world, they really don't have much impetus to change.

It's too bad that Amazon hasn't bought Kobo yet. Kobo's hardware is VASTLY superior to Amazon's but their CS, bookstore and basically everything else lags far behind. A combination of the two would be welcomed by many.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #414
Shinytop
Connoisseur

Agreed that better QC is needed. But it should be pointed out that many cell phones have QC issues where most receive trouble free devices but enough receive phones with various problems that QC is an issue there as well. From my experience as a programmer sometimes the faults just don't show up until in the hands of many users.

Although screen defects would appear to be one of the easier to identify, could even be automated. And it may be with their standards are just not high enough.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #415
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Normal quality control procedures of mass-produced items like this work by checking a few items in a batch and assuming them to be representative, but it appears that with e-ink screens there is so much variation within each batch that often a pile of really bad stuff gets through even in apparently good batches. You'd think they could at least have increased the check frequency with something that costs as much as an Oasis, but given that most of the Oasis's increased cost is accounted for by the case cost I'm not sure they actually have much left over to improve QC.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #416
Superbar
Superbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheeseSuperbar can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
So I really wanted to know it and today got the Paperwhite3 as well in order to be able to compare it to the Voyage and the Oasis, gradient-wise, as my impression from comments so far was that the Paperwhite3 got no gradient problem but cloudy effects at the bottom.

The Paperwhite3 surely has the lowest display quality in regards of font sharpness and screen whiteness compared to the two others, being more yellowish all over. Which must be the reason why the gradient across the whole page stands out less compared to the Voyage or the Oasis, and I would imagine the gradient would be really tough to see on a picture.

Overall I'd say..

Degree of gradient distraction
Paperwhite3 < Voyage < Oasis

Font quality:
Voyage > Oasis > Paperwhite3

Screen whiteness:
Oasis > Voyage > Paperwhite3

Who claims there is a Voyage or Oasis with a gradient that you cannot notice, pic or it didn't happen.. (for the Oasis a light level 19 in darkness on a full text page with the thick side of the device to the left should prove the gradient)

Last edited by Superbar; 06-28-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Superbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #417
kobayashi
Groupie

Quote:
Who claims there is a Voyage or Oasis with a gradient that you cannot notice, pic or it didn't happen.. (for the Oasis a light level 19 in darkness on a full text page with the thick side of the device to the left should prove the gradient)
That will never happen.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #418
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't need to claim that I have a Voyage without any gradient, because I know I have one like that. I know this because my Oasis does have that gradient, although its only visible at higher than 11-12 light settings which is above how I use it. I never go above 8 in almost total dark and never above 12 in bright light.

I know what I have and I know I can see those things as I had a horrible PW1 and I know its there on the Oasis like I said. Its not on my Voyage. My Voyage is even and clean on all light levels, any light conditions. Those are the facts.

I cannot take pictures to save my life, so that isn't an option. Not only can I not take pictures that aren't blurry, I don't have a setup of a room where there wouldn't be light coming in from one side or another. Its just not something that is possible for me. I can't even take a pic of a squirrel without blurryness.
Not that I would play this game with some of you guys anyway. I know what the facts are and that is all that matters to me. And since I know what that stuff looks like, you can't use the silly stuff about me not being able to see those things.

So there is that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #419
kobayashi
Groupie

Told you so. Blissful.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #420
Shinytop
Connoisseur

"Who claims there is a Voyage or Oasis with a gradient that you cannot notice, pic or it didn't happen.. (for the Oasis a light level 19 in darkness on a full text page with the thick side of the device to the left should prove the gradient)"

By golly we have found the king of the internet.