Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
belektro
belektro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5 (Paperwhite 2 w/touch)
Kindle Freetime Daily Goals on jailbroken device broken?

Hi,

I have a K5 (PW/Touch) that I jailbroke following the hints in this forum.

As my son is going to school now and he learns reading I set him up a daily goal in Freetime and deployed two books for him.
While he today read at least for 10 minutes in one of the books, the Freetime app accounted only 4 minutes.

I didn't find any official information about how the reading time is being calculated nor did I find anyone who noticed a similar problem.

Is it possible that this phaenomenon is being caused by the jailbreak?

Cheers,
b.
belektro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by belektro View Post
Hi,

I have a K5 (PW/Touch) that I jailbroke following the hints in this forum.

As my son is going to school now and he learns reading I set him up a daily goal in Freetime and deployed two books for him.
While he today read at least for 10 minutes in one of the books, the Freetime app accounted only 4 minutes.

I didn't find any official information about how the reading time is being calculated nor did I find anyone who noticed a similar problem.

Is it possible that this phaenomenon is being caused by the jailbreak?

Cheers,
b.
Short answer: No
Long answer: Nnnnooooo
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
belektro
belektro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5 (Paperwhite 2 w/touch)
Ok. I first thought the kernel may had been replaced by installing the jailbreak and the replacement kernel might lack some reliable clock source/event timer or the HZ value might have been fiddled with. But that's obviously nonsense.
belektro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@belektro: This is not Android Lollipop . The jailbreak is fairly inert in and of itself.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belektro View Post
Ok. I first thought the kernel may had been replaced by installing the jailbreak and the replacement kernel might lack some reliable clock source/event timer or the HZ value might have been fiddled with. But that's obviously nonsense.
You could have read what the JB does in the "what does it do" section of the first JB thread post.
OR
in the README file in the Jailbreak archive.
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You could have read what the JB does in the "what does it do" section of the first JB thread post.
That section only says "JB opens the doors to pretty much everything". It says what it does, not how it does, for a non techie it could have been a legit question.
How course it should also be pretty clear from the ops you do to jailbreak that this is not a kernel replacement
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
That section only says "JB opens the doors to pretty much everything". It says what it does, not how it does, for a non techie it could have been a legit question.
How course it should also be pretty clear from the ops you do to jailbreak that this is not a kernel replacement
Nice to be corrected when necessary.
(Even when I did not suggest it was not a legitimate question.)

Many places here **do** mention that the only (primary) thing done is add a single file, our (Mobileread's) signature certificate to the certificate store.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
NiJuLe, just in case you're interested it would appear that a modified kernel is no longer necessary to root Lollipop.
Chainfire manged to find a way.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Many places here **do** mention that the only (primary) thing done is add a single file, our (Mobileread's) signature certificate to the certificate store.
Maybe not the right place to ask, and maybe it isn't even easy/possible for you to answer, but how/why the new firmware makes this jailbreak no longer viable?
If it is too off topic then never mind.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Maybe not the right place to ask, and maybe it isn't even easy/possible for you to answer, but how/why the new firmware makes this jailbreak no longer viable?
If it is too off topic then never mind.
Not hard to answer, in fact, you can see for yourself how the (prior-to recent firmwares) JB does its thing by looking at the filenames of the files you copied to JB the Kindle.

See that one with the very strange name?
The one whose filename looks like a shell command?
Guess what, it is.
What in the *nix world is called a: "poison filename".

The most recent versions of the series 5.x firmware goes through a filename check and rename process that avoids letting the shell actually execute the filename.

Which is actually more convoluted than the system built-in method of avoiding poison filenames - but we have stopped giving Lab126 Linux lessons.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
(with an early exit in case of failed rename, in case someone had any bright ideas ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

[QUOTE=knc1;2991227]
See that one with the very strange name?
The one whose filename looks like a shell command?
Guess what, it is.
What in the *nix world is called a: "poison filename".

The most recent versions of the series 5.x firmware goes through a filename check and rename process that avoids letting the shell actually execute the filename.[quote]
A poison filename, cool.
I have always read about hacking tecniques - though not specific to kindle - and always wondered how one could discover them... poison filenames, stack overflows
Just playing around ramdomly? In this case, creating filenames at random?

Quote:
Which is actually more convoluted than the system built-in method of avoiding poison filenames - but we have stopped giving Lab126 Linux lessons.
You mean there's some modification in the linux kernel the Kindle uses that checks for filenames not being... don't know, longer than a set length, before executing them?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(with an early exit in case of failed rename, in case someone had any bright ideas ).
Bah, the second I read the statement about rename I immediately jumped to the simple write protect the file. :'(
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
A poison filename, cool.
I have always read about hacking tecniques - though not specific to kindle - and always wondered how one could discover them... poison filenames, stack overflows
Just playing around ramdomly? In this case, creating filenames at random?
- - - - - -
In this case its just *nix history.

You've heard of "K & R" ?
Designed/wrote the "C" programing language and then used that to write (well, actually re-write) their Unix operating system.

Ken Thompson also wrote the first command shell.
That was already a standard feature of the first release of Unix in 1971.

The Thompson shell was not actually intended for scripting.

J. R. Mashey wrote an "enhanced" Thompson shell that was intended for scripting. The Mashey shell introduced shell variables.

System control by scripting was clearly becoming a useful technique and A.T.&T. wanted to replace the Thompson shell in support of that trend.

Steve Bourne wrote the Bourne shell as the system replacement command shell in the mid to late '70s.
The Bourne shell shipped with, and replaced the existing shell programs in both Unix Version 7 and in 2BSD.
Both of those operating systems where released in 1979.

"Poison filenames" was a feature of the Bourne shell, I am fairly certain (I.E: as best as I can recall).
They where actually used as a "shortcut" to writing a full script.

I don't recall if they existed in the Thompson shell (or in the contemporary C-shell or Korn-shell).
(My memory's failure, I **should** know! K&R where both still in school when I got my start in C.S.)

- - - - -

I can't claim any part of their use in jailbreaking the Kindle.
Someone else had to remember the technique.
I only recognized it for what it was when the JB that used it was published here.

Last edited by knc1; 12-02-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
NiJuLe, just in case you're interested it would appear that a modified kernel is no longer necessary to root Lollipop.
Chainfire manged to find a way.
Sorry to go OT, but seriously? I haven't been taking updates because of lack of further JB on my Android. Good to know. Chainfire's my go-to.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freetime, goal, jailbreak, kindle