Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #2311
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Wow! I want to be where that (inside) security cam was!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #2312
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Batman out driving in his batmobile
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #2313
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Was that the real Batman, or just some wannabe dressed up like him?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #2314
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
C'mon, Stitch. Who else would dress like that in public except for the real Batman?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #2315
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
C'mon, Stitch. Who else would dress like that in public except for the real Batman?
Yeah... I guess you're right.
Besides, for a 'civilian' to do that it would be really impolite, and you do NOT want to piss off Batman!

Stitchawl
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #2316
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or Superman, either. I once went out dressed as Superman, and like to never heard the end of it. You'd think I'd offered him a kryptonite doughnut.
Spoiler:
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #2317
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

This woman is just plain nuts, but so is the biker. Someone should tell him that cars are bigger than bikes.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #2318
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Whole lot of really stupid people in this world...

Stitchawl
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #2319
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Tell me about it! I always roll my eyes when I see movies and TV shows that show a biker gang terrorizing someone in a car. As any biker knows, all the car has to do is swerve and the problem is solved.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #2320
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Re: Motorcyclists. Years ago when I commuted across the SF Bay Bridge everyday it was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic at intervals interspersed with periods of near bumper to bumper speeds of 30-40 mpg. Everyday I would see motorcyclists try an zip though traffic between lanes at speeds 10-20 mph in excess of prevailing speeds. It was no big deal when traffic was at the stop and go pace, but very dangerous during the intervals of higher speed. Some drivers in cars just cannot resist trying to move a small amount ahead in traffic by switching lines at every opportunity at those higher speed intervals. It is very difficult to even see a motorcycle coming up between lanes, especially when the driver is concentrating on checking for a car in the other lane. I observed a few motorcyclists get taken out this way. It was never clear to me what traffic regulations were regarding that; that is motorcyclists driving between lanes.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #2321
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'll bet most of them were kids with a new muscle-bike. Older riders drive with more sense. That's how they stay around to become older riders. I don't trust folks that buy these bikes that you need to crouch forward like a racer just to ride. Generally when you see someone on a cruiser, they're pretty careful riders.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2322
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It was never clear to me what traffic regulations were regarding that; that is motorcyclists driving between lanes.
Californian highway law permits lane splitting. Japanese law doesn't 'permit' it, but doesn't specifically state against it. But most roads here have small scooter lanes along the curb, which significantly help during the massive traffic jams we get. On weekends it might take a car driver 3 hours to cover the same distance I can cover in 45 minutes on a motorcycle. And that's normal. Holidays are much worse for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll bet most of them were kids with a new muscle-bike. Older riders drive with more sense.
We teach that when lane splitting, never exceed 10kph faster than the traffic is moving, and to always keep aware of the front tires of the cars ahead of you. They move before the car moves. But even with that, it's still dangerous. As a rider with more than 750,000 miles on a bike in 17 different countries on three continents, I will say categorically that riding a bike 'can' be safe. It just isn't 'always' safe.

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #2323
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Re: Motorcyclists. Years ago when I commuted across the SF Bay Bridge everyday it was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic at intervals interspersed with periods of near bumper to bumper speeds of 30-40 mpg. Everyday I would see motorcyclists try an zip though traffic between lanes at speeds 10-20 mph in excess of prevailing speeds. It was no big deal when traffic was at the stop and go pace, but very dangerous during the intervals of higher speed. Some drivers in cars just cannot resist trying to move a small amount ahead in traffic by switching lines at every opportunity at those higher speed intervals. It is very difficult to even see a motorcycle coming up between lanes, especially when the driver is concentrating on checking for a car in the other lane. I observed a few motorcyclists get taken out this way. It was never clear to me what traffic regulations were regarding that; that is motorcyclists driving between lanes.
I have heard, but can't confirm that splitting lanes on a motorcycle is legal in California. Having been a biker for nearly 40 years now, I still wonder about that. Do California legislators hate bikers, or are they just stupid?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #2324
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Awesome! You MUST watch it in fullscreen!

http://rutube.ru/tracks/4013673.html
BeTePoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #2325
wodin
Illiterate

Sorry, cannot! Mordred, The Preventer of Information has Russian sites blocked.

Tags
cats, kindle, tax, vincent price