Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Just because you don't know a bug exist doesn't mean there are no bugs.

There are always bugs.
No, there are not. The more complex the software, the more likely this statement is true. However, it is absolutely not true 100% of the time.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I'm a computer engineer. This is not true.
Do you have any examples of a piece of software that doesn't have any bugs?
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
ifonline
Connoisseur

I can write you one if you wish. Give me about five minutes. Just so you know... it will run, display "Hello world!" and then stop. I can guarantee no bugs. It is software, and it will be bug free.

And before you brush this example off, just bear in mind that it proves that there is software with no bugs. As I said earlier, the more complex the code, the more likely there will be bugs. But there is no way to say, with absolute certainty, that all software has bugs.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I can write you one if you wish. Give me about five minutes. Just so you know... it will run, display "Hello world!" and then stop. I can guarantee no bugs.
Any program that does non-trivial tasks is likely to have bugs.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Yeah, I was just about to add in that "Hello World" doesn't count. I think it's apparent that we're talking about a reasonably complex piece of software, as opposed to one that does a single very basic task.
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #21
ifonline
Connoisseur

Ah... so now you need to qualify your statements so that they can be made true. Got it.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
3 December 2009 - Linux 2.6.32 was released (12,606,910 lines of code) via
12 million lines of code in the kernel alone. Is that big enough for a bug or two?

So yes, a small hello world "application" that prints one line could be free of bugs.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
It's a correlary of Murphy's law. Everything takes longer than you think it will. The computer works perfectly for the tech you called to repair it. And there are ALWAYS, always, always, bugs.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
jmaloney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Ah... so now you need to qualify your statements so that they can be made true. Got it.
I assumed that given the context of my statement that such a clarification was not necessary. Clearly I misunderstood the need for absolute precision in every comment I make here. I'll do better in the future.

Wait, I mean I'll try to do better in the future, because I'm obviously not a psychic, so I can't predict everything I might do at some indeterminate point in the future.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #25
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
I assumed that given the context of my statement that such a clarification was not necessary. Clearly I misunderstood the need for absolute precision in every comment I make here. I'll do better in the future.

Wait, I mean I'll try to do better in the future, because I'm obviously not a psychic, so I can't predict everything I might do at some indeterminate point in the future.
I'm not sure there is enough forum space for that level of precision I think your comments were very clear in the context of the discussion. As a past and current software industry executive, there are always bugs if the application does anything relevant or useful
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #26
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
That's why I still use my Sony 500. No buttons. No gadgets. No gizmos. Just reading. There are times when I think device evolution hit its peak with that unit.
I might agree, the Sony 500/505s are pretty simple devices that do what they set out to do pretty well... the downside is that their hardware engineers need to take an ergonomics class. The nook and Kindle both blow the Sony Readers out of the water in that area, and it isn't anything you have to drastically change the complexity of the device to fix, either.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I'm not sure there is enough forum space for that level of precision I think your comments were very clear in the context of the discussion. As a past and current software industry executive, there are always bugs if the application does anything relevant or useful
There's an awful lot of tech geeks in the room here. I think I count at least 3-4 people who claim to be part of the software industry (not including myself, so that makes 4-5).

And the point you bring up gets worse the more hands you have in the pot. In practically all eReaders on the market, you have some variant of Linux. Then you have Adobe's SDK on a chunk of them too. And then in the case of the nook, you have Google's GUI render and other bits on top of Linux... and then you have B&N's code.

So not only is B&N responsible for working on their own code, but they are likely responsible for understanding Google's code and fixing it if needed, as well as finding patches/etc for the Linux code. And if there's a bug in the Adobe SDK? Well, you just gotta work around that. It's a mish-mash.

I know when I first got hired by the company I work at, it took nearly 6 months for me to get familiar with the code that my team worked on that was already written. It took a year before I was nearly as productive as the rest of the team. Software development on this scale (even for such a small and 'simple' device) is maddening at times at just how much can go wrong, and no one person will ever understand it all.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
If you can manage to go anywhere in the world except for Africa or Antarctica for 6 days without finding a power source I'd be surprised.
Well, when I go camping I do appreciate that my reader can last a week without charging.
There IS power available at camp, yet, there is no power socket where I can leave my reader to charge for a few hours *unattended*. I guess, I could ask somebody in main office or in pub if I could leave my device for charging there but ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #29
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
There's an awful lot of tech geeks in the room here. I think I count at least 3-4 people who claim to be part of the software industry (not including myself, so that makes 4-5).

And the point you bring up gets worse the more hands you have in the pot. In practically all eReaders on the market, you have some variant of Linux. Then you have Adobe's SDK on a chunk of them too. And then in the case of the nook, you have Google's GUI render and other bits on top of Linux... and then you have B&N's code.

So not only is B&N responsible for working on their own code, but they are likely responsible for understanding Google's code and fixing it if needed, as well as finding patches/etc for the Linux code. And if there's a bug in the Adobe SDK? Well, you just gotta work around that. It's a mish-mash.

I know when I first got hired by the company I work at, it took nearly 6 months for me to get familiar with the code that my team worked on that was already written. It took a year before I was nearly as productive as the rest of the team. Software development on this scale (even for such a small and 'simple' device) is maddening at times at just how much can go wrong, and no one person will ever understand it all.
You are absolutely correct. The complexity of even relatively simple devices is staggering these days, especially when you add in the wireless carriers and associated certifications.

An interesting thing to think about is the progression of "code" in the average automobile. Cars are quickly becoming just another distribution model for software!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Imagine you go to a restaurant and the waiter brings you your plate and tells you: "It will be best if you take it home and reheat it tomorrow. The flavors come together better that way."

Why serve your guests a dish thats not at its best when you bring it to the table?
I guess thats why they came out with Kindle 2
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote