Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
looking at lights for e-reader

Hi,

I am a new 505 owner, and I used my booklight last night with my e-reader for the first time, and noticed it has a glare . Which is not good. I was considering the lightwedge, but was reading in the accessories forum about how it was known to scratch the screen of the e-reader. I also found the PageLight by Verilux, which is ALOT cheaper at only $19.95. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I would also be interested to hear about anything similar to the lightwedge or the pagelight.

I also saw where people have the mighty brightlight and looked at those, but it looks like the same type of light as the one I have already.

Thanks,

Kelly
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I've had the lighted cover since Christmas, and I haven't had any scratches on my screen. Neither has my husband, but my 13-year-old daughter did get a scratch on hers. The scratch was completely her fault because she had gotten some sort of sticky crap between the light and the screen and let it dry in there instead of cleaning it off.

I think the lighted cover works wonderfully. The screen is fairly uniformly lighted, and I find it helps me read even in daylight hours. (We have a less-than-sunny house.) The lighted wedge never gets in my way, and I like the little extra heft and size the lighted cover gives the reader. Makes it feel more like I'm reading a hardcover book, you know.

As for that PageLight, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. You'd have to move it every time you wanted to press a page-turn button. You'd also have to find a way to hold it flat against your reader while using it. I tried using a travel-sized stand-alone lightwedge - so basically the same thing as the PageLight - and it was such a bother that I just wouldn't read with it.

Last edited by JanetCinNC; 03-28-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: to fix spelling
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I've had the lighted cover since Christmas, and I haven't had any scratches on my screen. Neither has my husband, but my 13-year-old daughter did get a scratch on hers. The scratch was completely her fault because she had gotten some sort of sticky crap between the light and the screen and let it dry in there instead of cleaning it off.

I think the lighted cover works wonderfully. The screen is fairly uniformly lighted, and I find it helps me read even in daylight hours. (We have a less-than-sunny house.) The lighted wedge never gets in my way, and I like the little extra heft and size the lighted cover gives the reader. Makes it feel more like I'm reading a hardcover book, you know.

As for that PageLight, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. You'd have to move it every time you wanted to press a page-turn button. You'd also have to find a way to hold it flat against your reader while using it. I tried using a travel-sized stand-along lightwedge - so basically the same thing as the PageLight - and it was such a bother that I just wouldn't read with it.

I love your avatar! Obviously I'm a huge art nouveau fan..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Thanks, lilac_jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I love your avatar! Obviously I'm a huge art nouveau fan..
It's a picture of an Arts & Crafts tile I found. I love art nouveau and art deco, too. Before I learned the name for Arts & Crafts, I used to describe it as the transition period for nouveau to deco. It uses a lot of the floral and plant motifs of nouveau, but they are becoming more angular and streamlined like deco. Didn't mean to sound to teachy, there!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
It's a picture of an Arts & Crafts tile I found. I love art nouveau and art deco, too. Before I learned the name for Arts & Crafts, I used to describe it as the transition period for nouveau to deco. It uses a lot of the floral and plant motifs of nouveau, but they are becoming more angular and streamlined like deco. Didn't mean to sound to teachy, there!

No I know the difference I took a lot of art history in college.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Kelly--
I also have the light wedge and haven't noticed any scratching. Like Janet, I like the little bit of extra weight the wedge gives the reader--does feel more like a hardback book.

I've had my light wedge since early January and have kept my reader in that case ever since getting it. It is fairly expensive though compared to other book lights.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yeah I was thinking about the sizing of the pagelight vs. the ereader...it seems like that would cover the entire e-reader, thus, risking scratches. I will probably get the lightwedge. I just need to 1) wait for a little bit and 2) shop around for the best price. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay.

I also think that if I was careful enough with the lightwedge and didn't bang it around (which I don't plan to do with my reader anyway) everything should be fine. I'm

Thanks!!

Kelly
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I just purchased a Xtraflex2 Booklight and I love it! It clips on nicely (I clip it on the left hand side of the cover, its not perfect but I have no problems with it!) and you can flex the light around to provide the best light without any glare.

Its pretty small and light since you can kind of fold it up, and I find the light very bright and even. I also love the 2 brightness settings.

No idea about battery life yet but it takes 3 AAA batteries

I bought this over the lightwedge cover because its almost $100 AU to get the lightwedge shipped here (ouch!) and I don't often need a light so I'm happy to keep a separate booklight around

*edit for grammer!*
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Hi Cassy,

I have a few questions, if you don't mind :
  1. does the light cover all the reading surface ? Or is it more like lighting with a flashlight (a big bright spot with shadows around it) ?
  2. if one uses rechargeable batteries, does the included adapter charge them ?
  3. do you feel the additional weight of the light ?

Thanks,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a look at the buglight. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12668 with photos showing it in use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I got the Sony lighted cover when I got my 505 at Christmas. It works fine, and I've had it flap over and slap the screen a million times without issues. (Still cringe each and evrey time!) It uses 2 little AAA batteries that slide up a hidey hole in the "spine" of the cover. Reading with the light lit for about an hour per night means the batteries last me about 3 weeks, so it must be drawing very little power to make such a bright light.

It works best for me because it takes up the same space in my purse as the original cover and is all in one piece with no clip-ons or spare parts to keep up with.

EDIT: I wish the cover had a pocket for cards, cash, etc.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-22-2009 at 10:30 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Cassy
Zealot

Hi Dpierron,

1. I find the light to be really even and cover the entire surface. I angle it around so that the direct spotlight glare if on the top of the reader and not on the screen (if that makes sense) I'll try and take some photos of the light in use tonight

2. It doesn't come with an AC adapter but you can buy one seperately. I think this just powers the light but doesn't charge.

3. I don't really feel the extra weight at all- when I'm lying down in bed its a little harder to hold up but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Hope this helps a bit!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #13
Cassy
Zealot

Ok here are some photos with the Xtraflex 2... they're a little fuzzy (one handed no flash light photographing!) but you get the general idea

First one is the high setting with both LEDs on. It looks like a lot of glare in the photo but I don't really notice any irl

Second one is with one LED

Third is how it looks attached to my reader

Sorry the photos are huge >.<

Let me know if you need me to resize!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
  1. does the light cover all the reading surface ? Or is it more like lighting with a flashlight (a big bright spot with shadows around it) ?
  2. if one uses rechargeable batteries, does the included adapter charge them ?
  3. do you feel the additional weight of the light ?
I have a similar light, also from Mighty Bright http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html although I only ever use one of the lights.

1. The lens in front of the LED does a splendid job of giving a circle of even light without a bright spot in the middle.
2. It can use rechargable batteries (3xAAA), but you'd need a separate recharger - it doesn't come with one.
3. I only use it in bed, resting on the pillow, so the extra weight isn't a factor. But it isn't very heavy.

I'd recommend the single led/single head version, http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

or perhaps the smaller, lighter version that only uses one AAA battery
http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

rather than the dual-LED versions, as if it's bright enough that two LEDs are needed, it's probably bright enough to read the page anyway!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #15
Cassy
Zealot

I saw the Mightybright too but I didn't like the clip. I couldn't work out if it would leave any indents on the leather case so I went with the big clip instead ^^