Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Obligatory Introduction Thread

Howdy. My name is Kevin and this is my obligatory introduction thread. (Seems most discussion forums have them)

I don't have an ereader as of yet. I really wanted a Kindle, but now I'm researching the Sony PRS-505 (it replaced the Kindle on my wishlist at Amazon). My main goal is to support my book addiction, I mean habit, er, I don't really have a problem, I can quit anytime I want. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Anyway, I'm looking into ebook readers that will allow me to move to a digital library and conserve physical space. I have an hour and a half train ride for my commute everyday, so I do a lot of reading. I ride a motorcycle to the train station when the weather permits, I only have so much space to carry stuff, so I don't read as many hardcovers as I used to because they're such a pain to cram into my bag with all of my other crap. I take good care of my books and hate seeing them damaged. I refuse to let my wife borrow anymore books after she creased the spine and dog eared the pages...wow, was she suprised when I freaked out over that. So, something light and portable fits the ticket.

I live in Maryland, and the public library does have ebooks available for check out in the Adobe Digital Edition format. From my lurking on here I found out it is compatible with the Sony readers. That's a big plus for me since I've been told to stop buying so many books.

I mainly read Fantasy, some American history, military history, horror, classics and the like. Depending on what the library carries I might have to branch out into other genres.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kwjones.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice and personal opinions on the devices.

Haunt the forums for info, and good luck with your choice! Either one is a great reader.

As a Kindle 1 owner, besides being pleased with my choice, I am also extremely pleased with Amazon customer service.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Kevin and welcome to the Forum. I have a Sony 505 and really like it. And I've had good luck downloading from the Fairfax (VA) library
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
QBColleen
QBColleen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi Kevin...I have foregone the intro merely by replying to 2 of you guys so far.

I have had the 505 for over 1 yr and thought I'd HAVE TO get the 700...oh, contrar. I got a new cover that has a lit glass to illuminate print in poorly lit places. I bought a "tin can case" with foam lining to protect it from getting crushed in my work sachel. And most recently I downloaded the sony "upgrade"...THAT made viewing .pdf's possible..before that the .pdf print was microscopic. I also get illustrations with the upgrade....who needs a 700..I sure don't need the touch glass page turner feature and to me that's all it has on the 505.

That's my humble opinion...I can read Eldest without getting carpel tunnel now too.

Colleen in California
QBColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Kevin. You might want to check out the "Adobe Digital Edition format cracked" thread.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Welcome Kevin. You might want to check out the "Adobe Digital Edition format cracked" thread.
Yeah, that's the thread that got me seriously interested in the 505. As someone who is a little behind the times when it comes to the current ebook technology, most of the formating stuff is still Greek to me. I'm in the IT industry, but I'm not a software programer because I hate semicolons, SQL queries...it's a long story. Lots of interesting information on this site. Makes the decision that much harder.

So my question for 505 owners...blue or silver? Which one helps improve the contrast of the text on the screen?

I don't need/want the light wedge cover as I have PLENTY of the Mighty Brite book lights laying around the house. My favorite book lite was a 3 led light that clipped on to the bill of a baseball cap. I found it in the hunting section at Walmart. Light where you wanted it, but nothing getting in your way. One of the clips broke and I haven't replaced it yet.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
I'm in the IT industry, but I'm not a software programer because I hate semicolons, SQL queries...it's a long story.
Ever heard of Ruby?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote