Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Conversion to Sony Format

I was thinking of buying a Cybook Gen 3 and have done all my research in that direction, however I have now heard that the Sony 505 may be released in the UK in April. I dont know much about the Sony ebook format, could someone tell me if for instance I can read this book, http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook28033.htm
which I would have bought in Mobipocket for the Cybook, on the Sony reader. I am using a Mac and dont really want to run windows in a virtual machine just to convert or download books. I know about libprs 500, but dont really know what it is capable of altogether.
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you couldn't read that book without using Windows-based conversion tools.

What you'd need to do would be to have an "activated" copy of Microsoft Reader on a PC, buy the Microsoft Reader version of the book, then use Windows-based conversion tools to convert it to Sony format.

A CyBook would make life a lot easier.

The rumoured release of the Sony in the UK this year is, AFAIK, just a rumour at present. Let's hope that it does happen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
tommy still
Connoisseur

Assuming I had a virtual machine running on my Mac, which would be the best tool or tools for conversion to LRF format. If I do buy a Sony Reader I am going to to have to go the Windows route at some time "IF" it is released in the UK with a Sony Connect store credit, otherwise the credit will be wasted.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a free program called "lit2lrf" which will do the conversion for you.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy still View Post
Assuming I had a virtual machine running on my Mac, which would be the best tool or tools for conversion to LRF format. If I do buy a Sony Reader I am going to to have to go the Windows route at some time "IF" it is released in the UK with a Sony Connect store credit, otherwise the credit will be wasted.
If you purchase MS Reader format eBooks and use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM you can then use lit2lrf to convert to LRF for the 500/505. Once the software is all properly installed, it is very easy to deal with.

If you go with a 505 or a Gen3, you'll be needing a Windows environment if you plan on doing content conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you go with a 505 or a Gen3, you'll be needing a Windows environment if you plan on doing content conversion.
But with a Gen3 there's rather less need to do it. There are very few LIT books that can't also be bought as Mobi books. There are a lot that can't be bought as Sony books.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are a lot of eBooks available for the 500/505 and it is increasing in number.

But really, if you don't want to end up with eBooks with DRM, you do HAVE to have a Windows system.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
tommy still
Connoisseur

DRM doesn't worry me, I only intend to have the one ebook reader, and if in the future I buy a different one I will cross the conversion bridge when I come to it. Am I correct in thinking Fictionwise are in the process of converting all their multiformat books to Sony reader format ?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
tommy still
Connoisseur

Another point has just occured to me, if I wanted to buy a protected mobipocket book on the Cybook, I believe I just enter the unique number provided by the reader to protect the DRM. Would it be the same on the Sony if say I wanted to buy a book from Fictionwise (assuming they can supply one) ?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy still View Post
Another point has just occured to me, if I wanted to buy a protected mobipocket book on the Cybook, I believe I just enter the unique number provided by the reader to protect the DRM. Would it be the same on the Sony if say I wanted to buy a book from Fictionwise (assuming they can supply one) ?
The Fictionwise books for the Sony are not protected files. They are part of what Fictionwise calls their "Multiformat" series. You buy the book and download it in a number of formats (Sony, LIT, Mobi, etc.) You can even download the same book in several formats.

At the moment only Sony sells protected books for the Sony. Fictionwise also sells protected (DRM) books in the Mobi, LIT, eReader, and PDF formats (as I remember.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The multi-format books that fictionwise sell are mainly "back catalog" stuff; new books are generally only available in DRM formats. Fictionwise also sell a nice selection of magazines (mainly SF/Fanasy and crime/mystery) in multi-format.

I should add that if you like SF/Fantasy, Baen sell a very good range, DRM-free, at very reasonable prices. They don't do Sony format directly, but they do other formats which can very easily converted to Sony format, such as LIT and HTML.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I should add that if you like SF/Fantasy, Baen sell a very good range, DRM-free, at very reasonable prices. They don't do Sony format directly, but they do other formats which can very easily converted to Sony format, such as LIT and HTML.
I've been converting their LITs and the results are good. Their books also have an RTF version which the Sony can read without conversion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
BTW if anybody has ever tried. I have successfully converted .lit and pdf files by directly dragging them to Book Designer. The .lit files take a while but they work; you get the front cover image at the right place and the back cover at the end also.

@HarryT
Just for fun I converted your BD tutorial to the reader. The formating comes out awful but readable. The screen shots are small but when turned landscapewise, the details are quite identifyable.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote