Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #676
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am not sure the charge continues once the "remove plug" icon appears.
"Conditioning" batteries was a NiCd thing. Li batteries were supposede :^) to cure this problem.
Well, I'm not sure about this, but here is my understanding (guess?).

Yes, its true that Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect. However, battery tech has gotten 'smart'. Over charging a battery can fry a battery. As a result they use a system that senses how much charge is in the battery and how much charge is needed so that it does not overcharge. When the battery is full it stops the current going to the battery. In the case of the PPro, the three wires going to the battery (instead of two) are a sign that it uses a smart charging system.

So, when you are conditioning these systems, you aren't actually conditioning the battery. What you are doing is teaching the smart system how much charge the battery can hold.

However, I haven't actually tried to study this area. This is just what I've pieced together by reading between the lines. Hopefully, someone who knows what they are talking about will stop by and teach me the real answer .
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #677
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
This is a great read!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

Yes, its true that Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect. However, battery tech has gotten 'smart'. Over charging a battery can fry a battery. As a result they use a system that senses how much charge is in the battery and how much charge is needed so that it does not overcharge. When the battery is full it stops the current going to the battery. In the case of the PPro, the three wires going to the battery (instead of two) are a sign that it uses a smart charging system.

So, when you are conditioning these systems, you aren't actually conditioning the battery. What you are doing is teaching the smart system how much charge the battery can hold.

However, I haven't actually tried to study this area. This is just what I've pieced together by reading between the lines. Hopefully, someone who knows what they are talking about will stop by and teach me the real answer .
Dear emellaich:

This is full of great information and I am grateful! I am copying this and sending it to all my techs.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #678
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Robert,

I've been reading ebooks since Palm II. Now I use both Kindle app and eReader to read ebooks/enews on my iPhone. However, I'm now inclined to have a try on Pocket Pro. Just have 2 questions:

1. any chance to have the dictionary lookup feature in future firmware upgrade?
2. any chance to support Fictionwise eReader (non-DRM pdb format) in the future?

Thanks
Chote

Last edited by bthoven; 09-24-2009 at 11:48 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #679
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
2. any chance to support Fictionwise eReader (non-DRM pdb format) in the future?
They have said they plan this once the contract is in place with B&N. Of course something could happen to cancel those plans so don't count on it 100% until it's actually available.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #680
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear emellaich:

This is full of great information and I am grateful! I am copying this and sending it to all my techs.
if your 'techs' do not know this is how LiPoly batteries work, that speaks volumes...maybe the LiPoly has not had time to set and dry yet...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #681
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

That is pretty much how it works...and you really want to minimize how often you allow your LiIon/LiPoly batteries fully discharge...the only reason is to once or twice run a full discharge in order to calibrate the battery meter. Every time you completely drain your Li battery it harms the battery. A few times is no big deal, but constantly will take a battery that should last for years and kill it off in as little as a few months to a year.

BTW, this is because these are 'dumb' batteries rather than 'smart' Li batteries...and how most mall device makers do it now, it keeps the cost of the batteries a LOT cheaper.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote