Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Best Way to Convert Bundles

I have some bundles of books in PDF format (no DRM). I usually convert them for my kindle with mobicreator, because Calibre was not working right (kept page numbers and author name on every page). Hyphenation is kinda funky, but readable.

But I would like to break the books up, instead of converting the whole bundle as is (usually 6 books). I do not have Adobe professional. What would be the best was to break a PDF file into pieces, and then convert it for my kindle?

Thanks,
Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
pdftk can do this (split PDFs) I think. Alas, command-line only, I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
pdftk can do this (split PDFs) I think. Alas, command-line only, I believe.
Sorry for my stupidity - what is pdftk?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
CutePDF Professional (unlimited trial) software will allow you to delete or extract pages from any pdf. Friendly to use free software

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks! I have that at work, and know how to use it.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Well, it certainly is just me, but I won't be splitting up anymore bundles. It was too much work. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, so I ended up deleting exerything except the book I wanted, one at a time. It ended up taking most of the game. Of course, if I hadn't been drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade and the Cubs hadn't been dropping their second in a row to hated St. Louis, it probably would have gone better.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, it certainly is just me, but I won't be splitting up anymore bundles. It was too much work. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, so I ended up deleting exerything except the book I wanted, one at a time. It ended up taking most of the game. Of course, if I hadn't been drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade and the Cubs hadn't been dropping their second in a row to hated St. Louis, it probably would have gone better.

It would have been simpler just to print each book section to a new PDF. For instance, you have a 100 page pdf with 4 books. In CutePDF, click the print button and print pages 1-25 as a new CutePDF, then print pages 26-50, then 51-75 and 76-100. Re-name each new PDF with the name of the book and you're good to go.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Of course. Thanks daffy. Amazing how much easier it is with coffee, compared with alcohol.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Sorry for my stupidity - what is pdftk?
It's just a little free program: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Are they ebooks you can freely share? I wouldn't mind separating out individual books from a bundle & sending them back to you. (Wouldn't mind doing it fairly regularly as long as it's not constant. Splitting a big PDF into ~6 pieces wouldn't take me more than a couple of minutes.)

Another potential option is to convert them to HTML, either with one of the free programs that's available, or by gmailing it to yourself & opening it in Google's HTML view, and then splitting that into pieces. (Since I'm pretty much worthless at HTML, I'd wind up copy-pasting the entire contents into Word, and splitting from there.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Red Sox can take the Cubs with the farm team.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Red Sox can take the Cubs with the farm team.
Here is the first email I sent out today at work (to a Card's fan, a Red Sox fan and a Yankee's fan)

For Sale:

Large Cubs "W" Flag. Rarely used. Will trade for team loyalty.

I bought it last September. It looks like new.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Are they ebooks you can freely share? I wouldn't mind separating out individual books from a bundle & sending them back to you. (Wouldn't mind doing it fairly regularly as long as it's not constant. Splitting a big PDF into ~6 pieces wouldn't take me more than a couple of minutes.)

Another potential option is to convert them to HTML, either with one of the free programs that's available, or by gmailing it to yourself & opening it in Google's HTML view, and then splitting that into pieces. (Since I'm pretty much worthless at HTML, I'd wind up copy-pasting the entire contents into Word, and splitting from there.)
Thanks Elfwreck, but I am one of those people who has to do it myself. I married an electrical engineer, and I no longer get to do the electrical work around the house (I only started one small fire).
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
raneeq
Banned
raneeq began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know a good software to split one flie to many pdf files.
here is a tutorial to show you step by step. however it is not free. you can have a try at
http://www.anypdftools.com/tutorials...e-pdf.html#153

Hope it helps!
raneeq is offline   Reply With Quote