Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Klippy
Enthusiast
Klippy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Moving Calibre Library Folder

I have my ebooks on an external hard drive. I would like to move the folder to an SD card. I have made many changes to the books in my calibre library. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I don't want to lose the tags and other things I have changed or added.
Klippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
its a folder!
so copy...paste...done

then point calibre at the new location..

test, then AND ONLY THEN - delete source...

but do you really want to trust an Sd card to be your only source
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Klippy
Enthusiast
Klippy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I am really looking for a way to make it easier to move from room to room with my lap top. How do you all back up your books?
Klippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Cloud?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippy View Post
I am really looking for a way to make it easier to move from room to room with my lap top. How do you all back up your books?
Extra harddrive on desktop computer.
NAS.
External 2.5" USB Harddrives.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippy View Post
One main copy on the desktop computer.
One copy on an external hard drive, which is updated when something worthwhile changes on the desktop compuer.
One copy on an external hard drive, which is updated once every two weeks and is kept off-site in another house.

This is basically the same for all my data.

I update the external hard drives by running a batch script based on rsync, under Cygwin. (If you run Linux, rsync is already installed by default most of the time.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
1 backup copy on extra hard drive on Desktop PC
1 backup copy on external USB hard drive
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I had a 16gb SD card - used only once or twice to send big files through the mail; I took it out of cupboard to use recently and it was totally dead, no PC would recognise it.
I tried other SD cards in same PCs, they are fine. Looked up purchase date & asked retailer about guarantee but was just out of 1 year guarantee - so no replacement

So when they die, they really die - no way you'd ever get in with a data recovery tool.

Maybe the last guy we mailed it to did something silly with it before returning it, but I no longer believe the "indestructibility" and the 1000's of writes claims.

& it was a play.com branded SD card, not a cheap ebay knock off.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Lanson
Lanson began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
its a folder!
so copy...paste...done

then point calibre at the new location..

test, then AND ONLY THEN - delete source...

Sorry, that does not work on each computer...means: crossplatform

Crossplatform= Long filenames can make problems on Windows.

Germans: Umlaute do make problems when syncing through mounted samba shares (wrong attributes)....to mounted SD-Cards

Last edited by Lanson; 09-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

ok well the slow way is
1. create a new calibre library on target media (SD card)
use the internal calibre function, under the library tab
2. select all books, right click, use copy to library... function

I would expect calbre to then manage any filename length issues, but having said that, I don't buy into your argument....

whatever OS you are using. the same OS will be interfacing with both source & destination media, all the time that SD card is connected to PC, so how can your issue arise ?

if you expect that SD to still show as a valid calibre library, after you take it away & connect it to some PC running a different or older O/S - well that is, shall we say, optimistic ?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Extra harddrive on desktop computer.
NAS.
External 2.5" USB Harddrives.
all that + an extra copy in drop box; you'd then have to try really hard to lose your precious collection

unless you are one of the biblio-klepto types we meet here sometimes, your entire book collection should fit into a free cloud storage deal from dropbox, sky drive, google, or amazon, Hell, sign up to all 4 if you want the ultimate in backups.

but if you are a real nuclear winter / armageddon type, there's a lot to be said for paperbacks & candles ( don't forget the matches )