Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
It took me a long time, but I am really glad I read it - I enjoyed it thoroughly, though the prose was at times beyond me, but as a non native speaker I am (sadly) used to it!

I am also glad I am late, as I have really enjoyed your comments - so let me only mention three that I don't think you have touched upon.

First, I wondered whether Dick's total obliteration in the end was really necessary from the narrative point of view: it is story of love that fades, and the final paragraphs describing Dick's demise felt a bit of an overkill to me.

Secondly, the Divers children felt a bit of an afterthought, and the scenes with them for me did not feel as compelling as the rest.

Finally, one thing which struck me is that, this book being written when it was, I was really surprised by the lack of any reference to what was happening politically (the rise of fascism and the Nazi), besides the funny hats of Italian carabinieri!

It is (shamefully) my first Fitzgerald book, but it won't be the last!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #32
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
...I wondered whether Dick's total obliteration in the end was really necessary from the narrative point of view: it is story of love that fades, and the final paragraphs describing Dick's demise felt a bit of an overkill to me.
When I read the following at the end of a chapter near the end of the ebook (book three chapter nine) I thought it was over and wish it had ended here. Being an ebook I didn't realize it was not finished yet until I clicked further.

Quote:
And suddenly, in the space of two minutes she achieved her victory and justified herself to herself without lie or subterfuge, cut the cord forever. Then she walked, weak in the legs, and sobbing coolly, toward the household that was hers at last.

Dick waited until she was out of sight. Then he leaned his head forward on the parapet. The case was closed. Doctor Diver was at liberty.

Last edited by hpulley; 03-09-2012 at 09:10 PM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
First, I wondered whether Dick's total obliteration in the end was really necessary from the narrative point of view: it is story of love that fades, and the final paragraphs describing Dick's demise felt a bit of an overkill to me.
I think the story that Fitzgerald was telling is that Nicole ultimately was a parasite, that her recovery took something vital from Dick. I think your your version also would work, however; why not have it be a love that ended without annihilation of one of the lovers? But I continue to see Dick as a Icarus-like figure, one who flew too high and crashed.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #34
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the story that Fitzgerald was telling is that Nicole ultimately was a parasite, that her recovery took something vital from Dick. I think your your version also would work, however; why not have it be a love that ended without annihilation of one of the lovers? But I continue to see Dick as a Icarus-like figure, one who flew too high and crashed.
I did not know (before reading this thread, shame on me!) about Fitzgerald's wife, so I definitely have to agree with you, I had not thought about this take on their story.

As somebody else said above, this is a book that keeps "growing" on you long after having finished it!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #35
mwtzzz
mwtzzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had a hard time staying interested in the first section ("Book 1"). It seemed to be dragging along, I had a hard time identifying with the characters, and especially a hard time with the writing - it didn't seem to flow naturally, his use of language is kind of sporadic and halting, at least seems so to me.

The second section, got a little more interesting so I kept on. Nonetheless, the whole book didn't really do it for me. Mostly he seems to be just hopping around random topics, none of them are particularly interesting. I mean, yes, there is some slice of life stuff, he's portraying these people in their self-centered lives, and he's fairly decent at getting across how dysfunctional they are. But besides that there doesn't really seem to be any point.

Occasionally there were some interesting bits, some moments of lucid writing with some hints of something meaningful. Occasionally some nice poetic passages, such as:
"she took his arm snugly, settling into it with a series of little readjustments, as if she wanted it to be right because it was going to be there forever". I thought this was nice when I read it.

But overall it seems like he doesn't elaborate on the poetic stuff. He throws out a few words or a sentence that seems like it should go somewhere, but then he just leaves it hanging.

for example:
"the constant carnival at Juan les Pins where the night was musical and strident in many languages."
This is an interesting choice of words - strident is an abrupt word to use in this context - he begins the the painting of a scene, a scene that seems like it could be interesting in its own right, but he leaves it there and doesn't develop it. I'm left wanting the scene to be developed - what are the many languages, what are the people like who are speaking them, why did the narrator notice it to begin with - is there something about carnivals the narrators identifies with? Things like that.
mwtzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert