Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #46
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Wondering if it's too late to request change.

@user_none

Just wondering if it's too late to request change to be included in V5. Namely to add a horizontal scroll bar to the bottom of the book browser? Doesn't sound like a biggy but I know how that goes.

Regards - John
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Meme
99% of my S&R is done in code view.
IMHO All should work for the current BV page (a known limitation of BV)

I think you found the reason I kept seeing some debris from my Global removal of a string (repeating the same S&R on the page, found and fixed). This may be a case where the page had the insert focus (not at the top) from prior activity on that page.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The 64-bit version for Linux, on Ubuntu 10.10:

When I click on the Search and replace button, everything goes haywire: the Sigil's center pane expands and the entire Sigil window expands beyond the limitations of my desktop (1024x768). Subsequent clicks anywhere result in the entire Sigil window jumping left to right (alternating every-other click—apparently to show first the right pane, and then the left pane of the Sigil window on my desktop) none of the panes will resize, and I can't close the app (in the normal manner) because everything has basically become a moving target that I can't hit.

Everything seems to work fine until I want to search for anything. Then.... BOOM!

(A higher screen resolution isn't really an option with my current video card in case that happens to be part of the problem)
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #49
BartB
BartB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64bit laptop with an additional 23" LCD screen and I'm not having any trouble with Sigil in full screen or windowed on either of the screens. My S&R, normal or regex, works well. I do find that Sigil is crashing when I'm working on a large epub (around 750k of text - no images) and I don't carefully save first, click on "new" and then load the next large epub..
Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The 64-bit version for Linux, on Ubuntu 10.10:

When I click on the Search and replace button, everything goes haywire: the Sigil's center pane expands and the entire Sigil window expands beyond the limitations of my desktop (1024x768). Subsequent clicks anywhere result in the entire Sigil window jumping left to right (alternating every-other click—apparently to show first the right pane, and then the left pane of the Sigil window on my desktop) none of the panes will resize, and I can't close the app (in the normal manner) because everything has basically become a moving target that I can't hit.

Everything seems to work fine until I want to search for anything. Then.... BOOM!

(A higher screen resolution isn't really an option with my current video card in case that happens to be part of the problem)
Ubuntu Natty 32 bit
Dual head
S&R is a laugh: Spans 2 screens and still wont fit or shrink so you can get at the close S&R arrow (we really need the toggle on that button.

BTW the whole Sigil grows to accommodate the S&R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-3480.epub - Sigil.png
Views:	164
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	79982  

Last edited by theducks; 12-15-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: BTW added
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #51
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
@user_none:
It might be worth looking at the Kate S&R panel ui, it expands more organically from the border(the Sigil one seems to have its own border, seems like the wrong widget type?), not too sure how it's done, but it seems to be a bit more well behaved.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #52
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
A way back in this thread Ahmad Samir gave a patch (from Kate) that fixes the S&R (F&R?) causing the windows to go large. user_none has already updated the code with this fix, but hasn't released an updated beta package with the fix. (The issue is that some of the S&R strings in the history are too large, and testing the patch shows that this does fix the issue).
Old 12-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
A way back in this thread Ahmad Samir gave a patch (from Kate) that fixes the S&R (F&R?) causing the windows to go large. user_none has already updated the code with this fix, but hasn't released an updated beta package with the fix. (The issue is that some of the S&R strings in the history are too large, and testing the patch shows that this does fix the issue).
Cool. I thought I checked the thread for similar issues, but I must've missed that one. As long as it's been accounted for.

What about stepping through a document (replace, then find and highlight the next occurrence)? Has anybody got that working. I can step through with just the Find function, but Replace/Find next, seems to be flaky (if it works at all). Replace All works fine for me, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #54
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Cool. I thought I checked the thread for similar issues, but I must've missed that one. As long as it's been accounted for.

What about stepping through a document (replace, then find and highlight the next occurrence)? Has anybody got that working. I can step through with just the Find function, but Replace/Find next, seems to be flaky (if it works at all). Replace All works fine for me, though.
How are you trying to use replace. When I use it, starting at the top of a document, I type in my find/replace strings. Then I hit Replace Next (right arrow next to the Replace box - tooltips coming soon...). This replaces the first occurrence of the found text and leaves my cursor at the end of the replaced text. To replace the next one I click on Replace Next again and it replaces the next one and again leaves my cursor at the end of the text. If I didn't want that particular one replace I hit Undo. I can then hit Replace Next for the next one (or Find next) and so on.

The only hiccup is when you do Replace Next across documents - you need to hit Replace Next again once the new document is automatically opened as it doesn't automatically replace the first found string.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
How are you trying to use replace. When I use it, starting at the top of a document, I type in my find/replace strings. Then I hit Replace Next (right arrow next to the Replace box - tooltips coming soon...). This replaces the first occurrence of the found text and leaves my cursor at the end of the replaced text. To replace the next one I click on Replace Next again and it replaces the next one and again leaves my cursor at the end of the text. If I didn't want that particular one replace I hit Undo. I can then hit Replace Next for the next one (or Find next) and so on.
That seems backwards to me... from any other S&R system I've used.

I'm used to seeing the text I'm thinking about replacing being highlighted, and then making the decision to replace it or not. Rather than just automatically replacing the next occurrence (without seeing it highlighted first) and then deciding whether or not the change needs to be undone. How can I know if it needs to be undone when I never got to see the original text before it was replaced?

I guess I could get used to alternating between the Find and the Replace buttons if I have to, but most S&R engines I've ever used have some sort of functionality to combine the "Replace Current" and "Find Next (but don't replace it yet)" functions into one button-click.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-16-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #56
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My vote is with diapDealer on this (note I haven't tried the beta so basing comments on what is described).

Please make it work like Notepad++ (or VisualStudio.Net). Clicking the Replace button goes to the next occurrence and highlights it. I don't see a point in putting the cursor immediately after the one you have just replaced - after all, I just replaced it, and I've already got to "see" it by the original Find or Replace click. Kind of horse has bolted situation to me.

My #1 hope for Sigil 0.5 is that all the find/replace glitches can be sorted out once and for all - by that I mean the sort of thing that meme has reported and those I have reported with previous versions (which still exist). My confidence level with Find/Replace while slightly improved with the last 0.4 version is still zero - there are way too many glitches with it where it either does not put the text on screen (it is at the start of a long paragraph that you only see the end of), does not actually do the replace (you do a replace all, then a Find and it finds more of them), or the ever intermittent click into the code view after doing a Find, only to have it jump to the top of the document so you have to do the Find again...
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude
Please make it work like Notepad++ (or VisualStudio.Net). Clicking the Replace button goes to the next occurrence and highlights it.
Notepad++, EditPad, Komodo Edit, UltraEdit, Bluefish, gedit... and just about any text editor's S&R system since time began.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
My vote is with diapDealer on this (note I haven't tried the beta so basing comments on what is described).

Please make it work like Notepad++ (or VisualStudio.Net). Clicking the Replace button goes to the next occurrence and highlights it. I don't see a point in putting the cursor immediately after the one you have just replaced - after all, I just replaced it, and I've already got to "see" it by the original Find or Replace click. Kind of horse has bolted situation to me.

My #1 hope for Sigil 0.5 is that all the find/replace glitches can be sorted out once and for all - by that I mean the sort of thing that meme has reported and those I have reported with previous versions (which still exist). My confidence level with Find/Replace while slightly improved with the last 0.4 version is still zero - there are way too many glitches with it where it either does not put the text on screen (it is at the start of a long paragraph that you only see the end of), does not actually do the replace (you do a replace all, then a Find and it finds more of them), or the ever intermittent click into the code view after doing a Find, only to have it jump to the top of the document so you have to do the Find again...
Absolutly.
I want to see what will be replaced if I am stepping along.

If I wanted to blindly replace, I would have clicked all
(OK, so my REGEX foo is not in the master class, so I step a lot )
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(OK, so my REGEX foo is not in the master class, so I step a lot )
Judging by the amount of obvious S&R goofs I find in commercial ebooks... everybody needs to be stepping a lot more instead of clicking "all." It's way too easy to overlook that one condition that screws the pooch.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #60
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Notepad++, EditPad, Komodo Edit, UltraEdit, Bluefish, gedit... and just about any text editor's S&R system since time began.
bbedit puts the cursor after the replaced text. must be a Mac thing since I don't think any of the listed examples run on os x.
Closed Thread