Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-01-2024, 10:09 AM   #1
Gendered
Gendered began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Post Issues with page numbers in Pocketbook Verse

Hello, everyone! I'm new on the forum but have been using ereaders for many years and I'm on my 7th Pocketbook ereader.

I just received my new Verse yesterday as a replacement for my Touch Lux 5, the screen of which gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. The Verse is great in many ways including the keys which are much better than on the Touch Lux versions, but one thing that quickly became clear was the fact that the page number tool is unstable. First, I had to go into the settings for each separate book and turn it on. But even after that it keeps turning the page numbering off again, which is getting really annoying. Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't always hold the last page number that I was reading when I switch the device back on, which is a real nuisance.

I thought installing the latest firmware might correct this but so far I've been unable to do this. I tried to install the 'bright blue' version that I downloaded from the Pocketbook website manually and I got a message that this was the incorrect firmware for the model. So I tried the 'mist grey' version instead and I can't even get the reader to acknowledge that I'm trying to update it despite copying the file over and following the instructions in the manual. I don't use wifi so I can't do automatic updates.

Has anyone else had these issues and if so has a fix been found?
Gendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #2
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
No I don't have this problem.

But my goodness!! I like the verse pro, but, you and a couple of others are having different and varying issues with their new purchase. I think I will have to call the company with a warranty complaint. Maybe you should too. I think this all very strange. Folks on the forum here talk about the verse pro is just the same as the HD3, but I don't hear any HD3 folks saying: "oh yeah, it happened to me when I first got my HD3"

If I were one who is shopping around, I would want to hear from us (you and I) about how we were able to solve the issues we are now reporting on the forum, before they go out and spend their money and new (possibly untested) model.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendered View Post
Hello, everyone! I'm new on the forum but have been using ereaders for many years and I'm on my 7th Pocketbook ereader.

I just received my new Verse yesterday as a replacement for my Touch Lux 5, the screen of which gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. The Verse is great in many ways including the keys which are much better than on the Touch Lux versions, but one thing that quickly became clear was the fact that the page number tool is unstable. First, I had to go into the settings for each separate book and turn it on. But even after that it keeps turning the page numbering off again, which is getting really annoying. Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't always hold the last page number that I was reading when I switch the device back on, which is a real nuisance.

I thought installing the latest firmware might correct this but so far I've been unable to do this. I tried to install the 'bright blue' version that I downloaded from the Pocketbook website manually and I got a message that this was the incorrect firmware for the model. So I tried the 'mist grey' version instead and I can't even get the reader to acknowledge that I'm trying to update it despite copying the file over and following the instructions in the manual. I don't use wifi so I can't do automatic updates.

Has anyone else had these issues and if so has a fix been found?
I'm having I think a different issue with page numbers in that pages are jumping backwards when I lock or power off the device and turn it back on. I've written to the customer service to see what they can do about it or to find out if there is a fix coming down the pipeline.

I'm wondering if rolling back the firmware to a earlier less buggy version may help?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware updates, page numbering