Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-09-2023, 08:30 AM   #1
WillW
Connoisseur
WillW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Pocketbook Era queries

1. Am I right in thinking that Pocketbook Era now works with AZW3 files? If so, then presumably I could simply drag & drop all my AZW3 books straight from Calibre into the Pocketbook?
2. Can the Pocketbook display a file tree like on a computer - main folder with sub folders within?
I’ve always wanted this on my Kindle, rather than just collections.
I love my 10th gen Oasis, but after 4 years the battery life, never great, is appalling, so I’m thinking it’s time to make the break to Pocketbook or Kobo.
One advantage I see with Pocketbook (assuming it does now read AZW3) is not having to re-convert my large book collection back from AZW3 to epub. I can do this of course, gradually, if I must, and if the Kobo turns out to be the better device, but it would be nice not to have to.
I’m certainly going to be dumping the Kindle (which I use outside of the Amazon ecosystem - never off airplane mode). Any thoughts on why I might regret going with Pocketbook rather than Kobo..?
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I don't think it's a good idea to buy a PocketBook device to read books in AZW3 format. The document styles don't handle them well. You will be able to read them, but in a very rudimentary way.

PocketBook allows you to view the books in your library by folders and also by collections. You choose how to view them.

In general, all PocketBook devices have good battery life, although today I don't think there is a device that comes close to the Kindle Paperwhite 5 in this respect.

Whether a PocketBook device or a Kobo device is better is a matter of personal preference and how you use your e-reader. I prefer PocketBook, which doesn't mean it's better.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #3
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Afaik AZW3 format is only supported if it is unprotected.
If all AZW3 files are allready in Calibre, converting them shouldn't be a problem at all. If you are doing this, just use some sensible output options for the PB like f.i.:
/Author name/series name/series_nr_title.epub
{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}_{title}
to presort it into a nice folder sorted way.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
WillW
Connoisseur
WillW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the 64GB Pocketbook Era. For some reason the 64GB was only marginally more expensive than the 16GB on Amazon. Also the only one supplied & dispatched direct by Amazon EU rather than 3rd party - I prefer this in case I return it.
The main attraction of PB over Kobo was the flush screen, which I like on my Oasis, and the different options for viewing books. I've already converted my hoard of AZWs to epub in readiness. I'll have a play with it over Christmas, hopefully it'll be a keeper.
I actually prefer the look & feel of my Oasis, which I only use in airplane mode, but the battery life is now much diminished, its memory is small, and it's getting a bit glitchy (bit like me..).
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote