Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
blorgon76
blorgon76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Verse Pro Review?

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Kindle PW3 with a Pocketbook after seeing a friend's Pocketbook Touch Lux 5.

I was about to make the order when I saw they just released the Verse and Verse Pro and they're already on sale on Amazon. I would order but I don't see any user reviews about it, only a few posts/videos that just go over the spec.

I was wondering if anyone got one of them (preferably the Pro) and can share their impressions?

blorgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:08 PM   #2
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Well, Verse Pro is Touch HD 3 in a new housing. So you can read Touch HD 3 review as well.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorgon76 View Post
I was wondering if anyone got one of them (preferably the Pro) and can share their impressions?
I don't think anyone has gotten them yet but, as Cyfranek mentions, the Verse Pro looks to be a repackaged HD 3 with a USB C port instead of a microUSB port. Same thing with the Verse, except it's replacing the Touch Lux 5.

That said, the PocketBook HD 3 is my favorite reader. So the Verse Pro basically being an HD 3 in new clothes is a good thing in my opinion.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-27-2023 at 06:56 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:09 AM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm just baffled as to why the Verse Pro doesn't have a microSD slot for expanding memory. For me that's a deal breaker. But the regular Verse has potential, or maybe I should look into the Touch Lux 5.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:38 AM   #5
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm just baffled as to why the Verse Pro doesn't have a microSD slot for expanding memory. For me that's a deal breaker. But the regular Verse has potential, or maybe I should look into the Touch Lux 5.
I think it's in order to keep the device watertight for it's IPX8 rating. The Verse Pro like the HD3 can survive being submerged. The less ports in the device, the easier it is to keep watertight.

I would have liked to have seen a much larger internal storage with this in mind however.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-10-2023 at 01:26 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2023, 01:01 AM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I think it's in order to keep the device watertight for it's IPX8 rating. The Verse Pro like the HD3 can survive being submerged. The less ports in the device, the easier it is to keep watertight.

I would have liked to have seen a much larger internal storage with this in mind however.
Okay the waterproofing is a good reason.

However, for those that don't plan on reading in the bathtub it would be nice if they had a 300 DPI version of a ebook reader with a microSD slot. Ebooks with artwork eat up so much space!

I'm not sure if 212DPI is that big of a difference, but I'm leaning towards buying the regular Verse reader to replace my Pocketbook HD2. Or I could look around and see about buying a replacement Pocketbook HD2.

That device has the 300 DPI and a microSD card slot. From what I can tell the newer readers have more processing speed but otherwise they feel like a downgrade from the HD2 ereader.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:50 AM   #7
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think there's anything in the 6" category (Lux, HD3, Verse pro etc) with both 300PPI and microsd.

There is the larger 8" Inkpad 3 though

There are various cloud storage solutions you can link to the device. With a mobile phone in hotspot mode you can easily transfer books even on-the-go if storage is a problem.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-11-2023 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #8
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Okay the waterproofing is a good reason.

However, for those that don't plan on reading in the bathtub it would be nice if they had a 300 DPI version of a ebook reader with a microSD slot. Ebooks with artwork eat up so much space!

I'm not sure if 212DPI is that big of a difference, but I'm leaning towards buying the regular Verse reader to replace my Pocketbook HD2. Or I could look around and see about buying a replacement Pocketbook HD2.

That device has the 300 DPI and a microSD card slot. From what I can tell the newer readers have more processing speed but otherwise they feel like a downgrade from the HD2 ereader.
If you like the Touch HD 2 (with its infrared screen that makes fonts very sharp and its old-fashioned design, not as nice as the current ones but more efficient), it will be difficult to find a replacement that matches it. For me it is still the best PocketBook device and the one I still use the most (and I hope it lasts for many years). But if you need to replace it, you'll have to choose from what's currently available. I'd go for the latest models even if they don't have all the features you're looking for.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #9
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Same for me, best reader ever!

PB631+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
If you like the Touch HD 2 (with its infrared screen that makes fonts very sharp and its old-fashioned design, not as nice as the current ones but more efficient), it will be difficult to find a replacement that matches it. For me it is still the best PocketBook device and the one I still use the most (and I hope it lasts for many years). But if you need to replace it, you'll have to choose from what's currently available. I'd go for the latest models even if they don't have all the features you're looking for.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:31 AM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
I think you may be right, I may have to give up the microSD card and rely more on emailing ebooks to my device and curate my current list a little better. Right now I'm putting everything on my ebook reader because I have the space, so why not?

My husband has the Pocketbook HD3 and I like the HD2 better in terms of feel and function.

Do you know if the Verse Pro has infrared screen?

Thanks,
Amalthia
Old 10-14-2023, 01:39 AM   #11
neil_swann80

Quote:
Do you know if the Verse Pro has infrared screen?
No, it's capacitive, as are most/all new e-ink devices. e-ink screen manufacturers seem to have made that decision.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-14-2023 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:41 AM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Mo, it's capacitive, as are most/all new e-ink devices. e-ink screen manufacturers seem to have made that decision.
I'm going to need to google to find out the difference between these screen technologies.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:48 AM   #13
neil_swann80

Quote:
I'm going to need to google to find out the difference between these screen technologies.
"Capacitive and IR touchscreens function in completely different ways. With capacitive touchscreens, a uniform electrostatic charge is applied to the top layer. Because the human body is conducts electricity, touching the display will absorb some of this current, which the devices uses to detect touch commands.

In comparison, IR touchscreens don’t use an electrostatic charge to detect touch commands. Instead, they use a combination of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and sensors to detect touch commands. IR touchscreens are designed with LEDs that emit light to corresponding sensors across the surface of the display. If you touch the display, you’ll disrupt the LED light in that area, which the device uses to detect your touch command."

IR screens basically shine IR light across the surface of the screen, thus the need for bezel and sunken screen. Capacitive screens have an additional layer to the screen itself which allows for the possibility of a bezel flush with the screen; however the extra layer can reduce clarity a little.

If the screen is flush with the bezel it's definitely capacitive. If the screen is lower than the bezel it may be either type. A gloved hand should work on an IR screen, whereas it wouldn't on a capacitive.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-14-2023 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:51 AM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
"Capacitive and IR touchscreens function in completely different ways. With capacitive touchscreens, a uniform electrostatic charge is applied to the top layer. Because the human body is conducts electricity, touching the display will absorb some of this current, which the devices uses to detect touch commands.

In comparison, IR touchscreens don’t use an electrostatic charge to detect touch commands. Instead, they use a combination of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and sensors to detect touch commands. IR touchscreens are designed with LEDs that emit light to corresponding sensors across the surface of the display. If you touch the display, you’ll disrupt the LED light in that area, which the device uses to detect your touch command."
Okay you were much faster than my initial google search results! I was going through articles to find out how these relate to ebook devices. Thank so much for the explanation.
Old 10-14-2023, 11:43 AM   #15
HvdB
Enthusiast
HvdB began at the beginning.

Device: none
I compared the specs of the Touch HD3 with those of the new Verse Pro. I think it' s almost the same. Micro usb- usb C.
I thought that the Verse Pro would have the dark mode, like my Era has. But today there were firmware updates for both my PB devices and my Touch HD3 now also has the dark mode. :-)

Last edited by HvdB; 10-15-2023 at 09:36 AM.
HvdB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buy, review, verse, verse pro