Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Pocketbook Color so far

Not really happy.
- jump back number of pages when reopening book
- does not remember settings for books (but always applies the settings from tha last book)
- Pdf freezes easily
- Dropbox sync doesn't work
- slowwwww
- colors are not convincing

Sorry PB, I think competition Clara is half price/better reader. You should upgrade your software significantly.

Last edited by adbosch; 08-28-2020 at 05:05 PM.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FYI: Dropbox sync only worked for me with the one Pocketbook folder in your Dropbox account.

I don't like that limitation either.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Dropbox works fine for me, but as Nate says only for the Pocketbook folder, which is fine for my usage. Haven't done much pdf viewing but not experienced big problems so far. The page skip back bug seems to be fixed in the latest firmware update. I just downloaded and applied this update via wi-fi.

After updating the reader did not remember one of my current book's settings (auto rotate was switched back on, when I set it to off) but otherwise it seems to have recalled everything else I set up.

I think there is a new sleep screen, with a cartoon graphic of your reader with z's coming in thought bubbles. I don't remember seeing that before, but I normally use the flip cover to put it to sleep.

I like the colours, they're subtle.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I already gave my opinion in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I confirm that small, grey dots remain. I don't think it is a software problem: I fear that it is the Kaleido level for color that causes the issue but I am not so expert to really answer the question.

I need to use it at 50% level of light, of course the lighting preferences are pretty personal.

After all it is a good device but not excellent: the color level is better than anything before and this is the first time that there is a usable color device. It is good with comics, especially for the color, but the 6" screen sometime is not great enough. It is not suitable for books of art or books of photos, not only for the 6" screen but also because 4096 levels of color are not enough for that kind of books.

I have a few non fiction books with colored photos or design, In that cases I appreciate the color but the vast majority of my books don't have them. To see the colored covers is funny but when You read it is not so important. When You read You see the colored headings or sup notes or link.

I don't write a complete review because I should talk about text to speech, send to pocketbook ecc but that features are not peculiar of PB633 Color.

I say only that it is quite small and light. And it is not very fast.

In conclusion: I bought it because I wanted to take away a whim. I'm not sorry I did it but all in all I recommend it only for those who have money to spend and love this type of toys, as it costs almost twice as much as a normal 6" device.

If you like comics it can be an incentive to buy it.
I can add some things: I tried text to speech and it is not so bad, it is text to speech of course (not a real actor or actress) but the Italian voices are fairly good.

Bluetooth is not very good, when I join the pocketbook with my Bluetooth speaker I can't hear anything and also with headphone the volume is just enough. Luckily there is the jack so that if I connect it to the speakers the volume is good enough, not exceptional but you can be satisfied.

Since my eye doctor advised me to rest my eyes I will try audio books (really? With audio books I can't change the font? ), I have already seen that it handles them very easily.

Send to pocketbook works well and also works the possibility of Pocketbook to handle ACSM files without passing trough ADE.

I like also the possibility to visualize the library or the real directory structure, on Your choice, I prefer to have choices also when I don't use some of them because I could always change My idea.

I like the possibility to highlight with color, I would prefer more colors but anyway it is nice.

I lack the possibility of increasing the sharpness of the font that I have in Kindle and Kobo, I use the workaround of installing the medium font instead of the regular, in google font among fonts I like only Literata and Lora have them.

The Italian dictionary is the wikictionary but what I find strange is the baroque usage of dictionary.

You can install on it KOReader but until now without color. Apart this I prefer it over the firmware reader.

I confirm my first impression: the device is slow, colors are good enough for comics where the low resolution is less noticeable but for many real photos (but not for all, sometimes it doesn't matter) the poor resolution and only 4096 color are evident. And also for comics the 6" screen sometime is a little smaller than optimal.

Last edited by ps67; 08-29-2020 at 06:16 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a PB Color support page anywhere?
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I have found the English support page of Pocketbook but nothing specific for PB633 Color.

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int/support

There is also the YouTube official Pocketbook support channel, but again I did not find any particular video for color.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #7
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Is there a PB Color support page anywhere?
You can write directly as well to: help@pocketbook-int.com
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Curiously, the Pocketbook Color has disappeared from the list of products on their company web site. And yet, it is still being promoted on pocketbook.de
Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
What do you think is more realistic?
1) They had it on their support website and took it down.
2) They have not put it on their support website because it is just some weeks in the market.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Crowriver
Groupie

I think it was never in the Support section. However there was a profile of the device on their main web site front page, which is no longer there. Units are on sale still, unlike the Onyx Boox Poke 2 Color.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Curiously, the Pocketbook Color has disappeared from the list of products on their company web site. And yet, it is still being promoted on pocketbook.de
It's still up on the main English website and on the Russian website.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/catalog/color/color-ch

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

But I don't see a support page for it(?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
Crowriver
Groupie

Okay, I take it back. Only disappeared from the "Pocketbook international" site.....maybe it was never there?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #13
adbosch
Addict

Guess I am just not smart enough to get things to work:
- Dropbox sync
- RSS
- even ReadRate
Got SendtoPB to work though (but I'm not very interested in this way of synching)
- almost get any pdf to freeze after a limited number of page turns/rotation, and the like
- comics: slightly better but really very slightly
- sudoku levels start way too complex (normally I solve the simple levels, not on Pocketbook)
EPUB works nice though (if quite slow)
Haven't tried bluetooth/text-to-speech/music yet

All in all: perfect machine, stupid user???? (this is at least my 10th ereader; I've never had so many 'challenges').
Old 08-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Guess I am just not smart enough to get things to work:
- Dropbox sync
You have to login into Dropbox account> There will be special folder created for sync. I should be something like Apps/Dropbox PocketBook. You can put some e-book there. They will appear inside the PB's library as well.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
- RSS
Useless

Quote:
- even ReadRate
It's like GoodReeads mainly for Russian readers. I don't know if it's useful for You.

Quote:
Got SendtoPB to work though (but I'm not very interested in this way of synching)
Well it's not syncing but rather sending similar to Send-to-Kindle service. Very comfortable for me, usually for sending articles from WWW pages using Push to Kindle plugin.

Quote:
- almost get any pdf to freeze after a limited number of page turns/rotation, and the like
Use "open with" menu feature from library to open in "speed mode". But anyway ask PB's support for beta firmware. It works much better than current "stable" one.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
adbosch
Addict

Cyfranek thanks. Solved Dropbox (didn't realize the folder was created in an app folder in Dropbox; works!). Hopefully speed mode helps with PDF. And I will asl PocketBook to become beta user.