Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Needed: Customization for ePub

The generic EZ-Reader fixes and enhancements list asks for user selected ePub fonts (33rd in the list for BOTH Basic & Pocket Pro) and there are several threads exploring the underlying issue of a poor default font, e.g. see My suggestions on getting the device to look blacker. However, I want to make a broader request - for user customization options for the ePub format.

No current implementation of mobile Adobe Digital Editions does this, but it is already possible for ADE to accept a User Stylesheet, see User Stylesheet for Adobe Digital Editions. Allowing this (e.g. in a fixed location on the SD card or on internal memory) on EZ Reader's would provide a mechanism to add user provided fonts and much more (e.g. bold all fonts, change justification, change margins, change line spacing). This capability is already available for individual DRM-free ePubs by explicitly modifying the ebook (Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!), but this would apply to all ePubs, including ePubs with DRM, without changing them. My impression is that this is almost trivial to implement, it is quite possibly already enabled (as it is in the Sony eBL viewer) but the folder that has to currently include the userStyle.css isn't visible to the user. The downside of this approach is that CSS stylesheets are not user-friendly, but it is easy to generate examples and just use an example "as is".

An alternative, which I think requires more work to implement, would be to offer a menu of customization options. These would at a minimum include an option to change the default font. The B&N Nook is the first mobile ADE implementation to offer a choice of three system fonts for ePub, although it does not allow user provided fonts. Other options in a customization menu could be all-bold, set margin width, etcetera.

Adding support for userStyle.css and/or a customization menu (the two are not mutually exclusive) would make EZ Reader's ePub viewer the best currently available. Since everyone is now using ADE, and ePub, the vendors who go the extra mile to add more features to ePub will end up selling more devices. This upgrade would be a win for everyone.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
+1
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I wonder if this ability is enabled in the LBook firmware. I have read that for files such as fb2 and txt you can put a .css in a /crengine directory, so perhaps it will work for all supported file types.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I have read that for files such as fb2 and txt you can put a .css in a /crengine directory, so perhaps it will work for all supported file types.
This is for CR3, which is only used for a few formats. It is the same idea though, use a .css to customize the way all supported ebooks are displayed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Wallcraft,

I think this is an excellent idea..
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erosco View Post
Wallcraft,

I think this is an excellent idea..
I agree. I had sent a similar proposal to Jinke but I added that they should create the .css file from a user menu option and maintain it as needed for all the user options. Besides font changes there should be margin changes, justification options, and more using the power of css to provide this for the user. Hopefully the added weight of this forum will cause them to work on it sooner.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The generic EZ-Reader fixes and enhancements list asks for user selected ePub fonts (33rd in the list for BOTH Basic & Pocket Pro) and there are several threads exploring the underlying issue of a poor default font, e.g. see My suggestions on getting the device to look blacker. However, I want to make a broader request - for user customization options for the ePub format..........

.....Adding support for userStyle.css and/or a customization menu (the two are not mutually exclusive) would make EZ Reader's ePub viewer the best currently available. Since everyone is now using ADE, and ePub, the vendors who go the extra mile to add more features to ePub will end up selling more devices. This upgrade would be a win for everyone.
+1
Excellent suggestion Wallcraft.
Could you please add this to the enhancement sticky thread?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I agree. I had sent a similar proposal to Jinke but I added that they should create the .css file from a user menu option and maintain it as needed for all the user options. Besides font changes there should be margin changes, justification options, and more using the power of css to provide this for the user. Hopefully the added weight of this forum will cause them to work on it sooner.

Dale
Do you happen to have a contact for someone at Jinke or do you use the contact email address on their website? Reason I'm asking is I'd really like to see the fb2 parser updated (the current version on the Jinke/Astak firmware is 17months behind the LBook and 7 months behind what Jinke have on their website as sourcecode).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Wonderful thread.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Do you happen to have a contact for someone at Jinke or do you use the contact email address on their website? Reason I'm asking is I'd really like to see the fb2 parser updated (the current version on the Jinke/Astak firmware is 17months behind the LBook and 7 months behind what Jinke have on their website as sourcecode).
There are two ways to forward stuff to Jinke. I have Astak forward my stuff but that of course gets their filter. After a while they just forward all I send to them these days. But I have been doing this for nearly a year now but I seldom get answers back although I have seen some get implemented.

The second way is direct to Jinke, the contact would be filtered by someone I am sure. You can also post in their forum. I have provided some feedback there. At least there you might get an answer.

Dale
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Totally and completely support!!

Dear Wallcraft and all:

I have known you for almost 2 years now and you have been one of the most insightful people I have known. Everything you write is clear and well thought out and meant to help.

So, I have copied entirely your suggestion and Dale DePriest's comments and added my own support and sent it to the factory.

IF they will do this it will help them immensely and help all Pocket PRO and EZ Reader users.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My 2 cents.
If it is too hard to implement the mechanism for doing the settings directly on the PEz, make a utility that runs on most platforms, that will create and place the needed user control files.
Since we all use some sort of a PC to transfer books, use that to set up customizations .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My 2 cents.
If it is too hard to implement the mechanism for doing the settings directly on the PEz, make a utility that runs on most platforms, that will create and place the needed user control files.
Since we all use some sort of a PC to transfer books, use that to set up customizations .
Like an mp4 to avi converter program? Maybe someone can write an executable that reads an epub and changes the CSS and writes it back out?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Like an mp4 to avi converter program? Maybe someone can write an executable that reads an epub and changes the CSS and writes it back out?
Actually Calibre already does this.

Dale
Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
well? and what if the font isn't on the PP?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote