Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
Using the correct AC chargers

I know this topic comes up now and again and I've read threads for about 2 hours BUT - I still don't get it -
can one use a 5V 1A charger on the PRS-600? all indications are that the correct charger should be 5V 2A but I already have a charger from my PRS-500 that is 5V 1A.
Is the difference that the 1A will charge at a slower rate? will I hurt my brand new PRS-600 by using the 1A? I don't get why the Sony chargers are almost as big as a laptop charger...not very compact to travel with. just curious. Thanks, as always, for all of your expertise. Mary
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I do not claim to be an authority on the subject.... all I can tell you is the "I" would not hesitate to use the 500 charger on the 600. It is actually closer to the amperage than one of the psp chargers that I use.....

edit.... actually I checked and my charger in question is actually 1.5 amp.... so it is closer that your 500 one... but I still would do it... but .... that is just me. I figure that if it is not a higher amperage, than it will not do permanent damage. But, I am not a Sony tech....

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Amperage on a PSU is potential max not auto output... a 2,000 mA PSU will happily deal with providing from 10mA to 2,000mA. It's voltage that's the killer for electronics etc... if it wants 20V and you give it 120V then bye bye. Equally a close mismatch downwards is usually fine provided that there is sufficient current (Amperage) so 5V will charge something requiring 5.2V (I've been using a 5V, 2,000mA charger for around 2 years with a 505) but 6V for same 5.2V is probably pushing it.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
I'd agree with elcreative, a lower voltage shouldn't hurt and the same goes for a lower current value. Worst case would be a slower charge or no charge.

Unless you need this in a hurry, there are a lot of cheap PSP chargers out there or use the usb port on your computer

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
rokr
rokr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Any charger which has a ~5V voltage and <2A current will do.

I 've used a charger from a Sony mp3 player which was 6V 0.8A

With my psp charging cable I've also used 2 different USB chargers 5.2V 0.5A/1A

Charging time varies depending on the current...
rokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokr View Post
Any charger which has a ~5V voltage and <2A current will do.
Why do you say that it has to be "<2A current"? The current specification of a charger is the maximum current that it can supply - the device that's being charged will decide how much current it "wants". If the device only requires 1A to charge, it doesn't matter if the charger is 2A or 20,000A - it will still work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I would be concerned about overheating the power supply if the device is trying to draw 2 amps from power supply rated at less than 2 amps.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote