Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #61
Neshi
Neshi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS-T2 View Post
Hi Neshi,

I had that only once after I removed the Kindle from my Amazon user account. Logged back in on the device and the collections and also the vocabulary builder worked again. You've got to keep the kindle registered to an amazon account for full functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How to fake-register your Kindle, allowing you to manage collections via the GUI: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193260

I would recommend just registering though.
Assuming that is indeed the problem.
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I have registered it, so that wasn't the problem.

I have figured it out though. I didn't know the Collections Manager would show up as another book that had to be accessed from the list. I though it would show up as an option from the menu or something.

I have successfully synchronised my collections and everything works as it should. Thanks again!
Neshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #62
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshi View Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I have registered it, so that wasn't the problem.

I have figured it out though. I didn't know the Collections Manager would show up as another book that had to be accessed from the list. I though it would show up as an option from the menu or something.

I have successfully synchronised my collections and everything works as it should. Thanks again!
So they weren't yet imported from the collections.json through CM into the Kindle's database.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #63
CyberShadow
CyberShadow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi, I'm getting this error when running the "Create collections on the Kindle from Calibre" action:

Code:
calibre, version 2.12.0 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Failed to create/preview collections: Failed: Create Kindle Collections

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.create_preview", line 43, in create
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.calibre_info", line 168, in load_column_book_info
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 304, in search_getting_ids
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 941, in search
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 848, in __call__
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 890, in _do_search
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 477, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 327, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 348, in _parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 356, in evaluate
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 399, in evaluate_token
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 403, in _get_matches
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 651, in get_matches
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\fields.py", line 400, in iter_searchable_values
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\fields.py", line 380, in for_book
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\fields.py", line 369, in book_on_device
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1709, in book_on_device
IndexError: list index out of range
Edit: Never mind, it worked a second time. *shrug*

Last edited by CyberShadow; 12-09-2014 at 07:38 AM.
CyberShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #64
stevebw
stevebw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unable to continue voyage!

Hi NiLuJe - It's great that you are continuing work on the Kindle Collections plug-in. I use it all the time with a Kindle Keyboard and so did my wife (Kindle 3) but she's just upgraded to a Kindle Voyage and it's my fault(!) that Kindle Collections are no longer working for her.

When you try to "Customize collections to create" she gets a message box with the text:

"calibre, version 2.12.0
ERROR: Kindle Collections: Not saving customizations due to an unknown kindle model."

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

regards

Steve
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #65
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@stevebw: The KV can't be jailbroken without opening it up, so I've refrained form posting an update here, since it'd be useless for 99.99% of the user-base . At least this way you get a clear error message that the device is unsupported.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #66
stevebw
stevebw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi NiLuJe
Thanks for responding - it's a shame that Amazon have spoilt collections on the Voyage. The 'native' method for adding to collections is so slow and clumsy I find it pretty well unusable, so your plugin is essential for me and this issue is enough to stop me upgrading - I'll stick to my trusty Kindle Keyboard!
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #67
GreySloth
GreySloth began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I cant use a 'null' date to put a book in a collection ?

I have a custom date column in Calibre, where I enter the last date I read a book. When a book is first entered in Calibre that date is null (or what ever it is that Calibre uses to indicate no date yet).

I figured I could either "Ignore" using .+, or "include" using ^$ and then rename from ^$ pattern to "unread" to put the new books into an "unread" collection, but I cant seem to get any books to go into the my 'unread' collection.

I suspect the plugin code is seeing 'null' and then skipping pattern matching, so when combined with my pattern to discard all non-null ... there is nothing to put in the collection.

Are my attempts to pattern match incorrect ? or is this a plugin weakness ?

Thanks
GreySloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GreySloth: It probably depends on which value that column actually contains by default. Not familiar with those, but it might be 0, or a specific epoch? One quick'n dirty way to check would be looking at the DB itself manually ;p.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #69
GreySloth
GreySloth began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
The default value displayed looks blank, I have no idea what is in the DB or how to manually look at the data in the DB, or how to FIND what it uses to represent 'no value'.

I do notice that if I use no filters and no renames, it creates a bunch of collections of the form yyyy-mm-dd (this is not the date format I use for the displayed data in calibre). All of the names are valid dates (none of them could be used to represent 'no value').

I really suspect that what ever Calibre uses to represent 'no value' would result in a invalid collection name, and that the plugin is discarding these without passing them to the filters or rename logic.

I would be willing to try to look at the DB manually, but would need instructions ....

Thanks

Last edited by GreySloth; 12-22-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: missed a lettert
GreySloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #70
Freeballer
Freeballer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
is the newest kindle paperwhite 2nd gen supported?
I tried to import from kindle -> calibre after I did a software update.. I get a msg it "failed to get time of..."
Freeballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Freeballer: Yes, so I'm going to need way more details .
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #72
Freeballer
Freeballer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
without additional software or jailbreak?
I'm running the latest software (as of 12/26/2014)
Freeballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, you do need it to be jailbroken. Read the first post in detail.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #74
raiannon
raiannon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th Gen + Kindle Paperwhite
Okay, I'm having an issue, and it's most likely a simple solution, but I know if I work at it too much longer I'm going to get frustrated, so I figured I'd just ask.

I'm trying to reorganize the collections on my Kindle 4th generation, so that I can import them to my new paperwhite in the order I want and not have to jailbreak it (at least for now :P )

So I originally had 20 collections on the kindle, I have 28 now in Calibre, but when I go to preview before syncing to my kindle, it only deletes 12 of the collections on the kindle, replaces 8, and creates 8 new ones. So instead of my 28 new collections, I'd be down to 16. I'm guessing this has something to do with how my collections are named, so let's get some screen shots and reports for you.

Quote:
=== Kindle Collections 1.7.15 View Collections Report

Collections sorted by Most Recent (Kindle view "Sort by Collections"):

SM Reine (26)
Time Travel (16)
Mystery (5)
Historical Fiction (13)
Fantasy Supernatural (13)
Fantasy Magic (12)
Witch Fairy (14)
Godhunter (14)
Romance (7)
Outlander (8)
Secret Trinity (3)
Caledonia Fae (6)
SciFi (8)
Games (3)
World of Hetar (6)
Beautiful Creatures (4)
LJ Smith (2)
Stacey Justice (5)
Scarab (Complete) (6)
Reference (4)

Quote:
calibre, version 2.14.0
Kindle Collections: <P>Preview report generated 16 collections.<P>

=== Kindle Collections 1.7.15 PREVIEW Report

Preview only - no collections have actually been modified on the Kindle.

Collections saved to the Kindle:

Collection Managed By Books Change
---------- ---------- ----- ------
Ardis Cole Calibre 1 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Beautiful Creatures (Complete) Calibre 1 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Bonnie Lamer: Witch Fairy Calibre 2 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Caledonia Fae (Complete) Calibre 1 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Edward Crichton Time Travel World Calibre 2 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Fantasy Magic Calibre 6 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Fantasy Supernatural Calibre 3 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Historical Fiction Calibre 5 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Outlander Calibre 1 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Reference Calibre 1 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Romance Calibre 1 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Scarab (Complete) Calibre 6 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Secret Circle (Complete) Calibre 1 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
SM Reine Cain Chronicles (Complete) Calibre 2 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
Time Travel Calibre 1 Replaced (from column Imported Kindle Collections)
World of Hetar (Complete) Calibre 6 Created (from column Imported Kindle Collections)

Collections deleted from the Kindle:

Collection Managed By Books Change
---------- ---------- ----- ------
Beautiful Creatures Kindle 4 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Caledonia Fae Kindle 6 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Games Kindle 3 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Godhunter Calibre 14 Deleted "Godhunter" (did not meet minimum of 1 book for column "Imported Kindle Collections")
LJ Smith Kindle 2 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Mystery Kindle 5 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
SciFi Calibre 8 Deleted "SciFi" (did not meet minimum of 1 book for column "Imported Kindle Collections")
Secret Trinity Kindle 3 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
SM Reine Kindle 26 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Stacey Justice Kindle 5 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
Witch Fairy Kindle 14 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)
World of Hetar Kindle 6 Deleted (preserve kindle-only is False)

=== Settings:

Column: Imported Kindle Collections
Action: Create
Prefix: ""
Suffix: ""
Minimum: ""
Ignore: ""
Include: ""
Rename from: ""
Rename to: ""
Split on: ""

Never delete/modify these Kindle collections:
Action when toolbar icon is clicked: Show menu (default)
Preserve existing Kindle-only collections: False
Ignore prefix/suffix when comparing Calibre names: False
Ignore case when pattern matching: False
Reset collection times: True
Ignore exported collections db: False
Only build a diff database: False
Kindle Model: 400
Calibre Personal doc tag: ""
Kindle collections file: F:\system\collections.json
Plugin customization file: \calibre\plugins\Kindle Collections.json
System Encoding: mbcs

I appreciate any help you can give. I'm going to put the problem down for a couple hours and see if a solution comes to me when I stop thinking about it before I ruin what I've already done trying to fix it. lol.

Last edited by raiannon; 12-31-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Had to move the photo to another server to get it to show
raiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@raiannon: First of all, be aware that you *will* have to JB the PW in order to do anything with Collections .

Second, if some collections are unchanged, you won't get anything about it in the review report, so I'm guessing that it's as simple as that, and everything's fine .

(If what's on Calibre's side is important anyway, you could also simply clear the collections on the Kindle and reexport them).

Tags
collections plug-in, kindle