Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
superium
superium began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Thumbs down Could Kindle3 be updated on PC ?

my kindle lost key response now, even if i reset it to factory.

(the memory and cpu is not in full use.it can boot/sleep quickly. the reason might be key-map or key-listener file fail.)

after i copy the firmware 3.1 to kindle ,i couldn't start update in kindle menu, because all the keys not response, so is there any way to execute the updater on PC ?
superium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
no. The PC will by default only have access to the FAT document partition of the kindle, not its "real" file system root partition.

The update also is not a full update, it is an incremental update. This means it might possibly not "repair" a defective root file system, that would depend.

Did you mess with your kindle (hacks, disassembly etc.) or did it just stop receiving? I'm asking because it could very well be a hardware defect.

I'm not too sure but you might get further with the boot-up menu (holding Enter when booting up). At least, you can check there if it's a hardware (keys don't work there either) or a software bug. Note to not start and try out all options before really knowing what to do in the menu (i.e. better try with the key for quitting first). Some options might render the Kindle unusable (even more than it is for you right now).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
superium

Red face

Thank you for your reply.
yes , i could enter the recovery menu by hoding the enter key when start up.
there's no hardware problem, it's a soft problem.

i think it may be caused by the following soft:
1.launchpad
2.the chinese input method.

because only these two has related to the key-maps or key-listners.

now I have to reflash or repair the rootfs.
so i copied the firmware 3.1 to kindle, and press U in the recovery menu, but is not work.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
As I told, the update won't do a full replacement of the installed firmware. There is _no_ update package that would restore each and every file, so you can brick your existing file system beyond repair (you might have done so, it's hard to tell).

I can't really see what launchpad would be breaking, so my guess is on the chinese input method. Do you have a pointer to a thread where you get instructions and software to install?

Maybe you're able to get USB networking installed and running (for which you'll probably have to configure it to autostart) and can better explore the "real" filesystem. But always make sure you know what you're doing.

Edit: arrgh, I forgot that you probably will not be able to install USB networking files. I think your back door might be launchpad, if it's working. Did you try if launchpad combinations work? Another option is the serial console. And the most prominent option is probably to send it in to Amazon....

Last edited by hawhill; 09-26-2011 at 06:48 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
superium

ahm, I understand the filesystem and partitions now.
the Chinese input method is from http://hi.baidu.com/canbefound/blog/...93bc763c3.html

I had the root shell with USBNetwork before, but when the keys lost response, I've excuted this command: factory-reset. and now ,loose the shell.
if i copy firmware 3.1 and restart, it did nothing but delete the bin.
if i copy other bins like jailbreak/usbnetwork, etc, and restart, it says:update error 3.

i may have to use the serial console now. And I'm in China, maybe it's trouble to send it to Amazon.
Thank you very much.
Advert