Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #26431
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
It took me just over three months to read all 10 books (approximately 11,000 pages) in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. If you are a fan of epic fantasy I highly recommend. Overall, I'd give the series a strong 4 out of 5 stars.

I did feel the author went overboard at times providing to much philosophy/motivation for why certain characters took the actions they chose. Also, the character list can be a bit staggering especially as the author kept unveiling new ones while you are still trying to keep up with all the previous characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Lord willing, I'm going on vacation in July and I didn't want to mess with library loans coming available because I'm not sure how available wi-fi will be.

So, I decided to clear all my library holds, and start the 10-book Malazan series. I slowly added the books as I saw them come up on special, and I'm starting with Gardens of the Moon.

I figure this will keep me busy for quite a while!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #26432
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Been listening to Dracula all day while I cook.
Finished Dracula this morning. Started Frankenstein in audio. Still reading Provenance on my Kobo. And my hold for The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well just arrived at the library, so I will pick that up this afternoon.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #26433
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And then, a book from my Provincial Library, The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner, the start of a series that is currently at 5 books, all but one of which is easily available from the Library. An interesting book, and good enough I've started the next, The Queen of Attolia. We'll see where it goes.
Finished Queen of Attolia. The series is doing well, and I expect to continue with it. It's never going to be a "must-read" series, but it's enjoyable.

Now, however, a complete break. Time to read a good old BPP--British Police Procedural. Next up in the Inspector Dalgliesh series is the second, A Mind to Murder. I got this from the BC Library, which is just as well, since there's no way in heck that I'd pay the outrageous price that Simon and Schuster is forcing Amazon to charge. I mean really, $11.99 for an early back edition of a long running and popular series? What an incredibly stupid (but successful) way to make sure that you don't get any new readers to the series!

(Fortunately, those who aren't geographically challenged can buy this in the UK for substantially less - under £5. Or get it from the library, of course.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #26434
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Just completed the entire 'Sharpe' series by Bernard Cornwell.
Am currently on the 'Hornblower' complete set. Have read a
couple of these over the years, but never the whole lot!
Loved the 'Sharpe' series,and am so far enjoying the Hornblower
set!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #26435
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
set!
Both are excellent. I've read all the Hornblowers, but I'm working my way through the Sharpes in a leisurely fashion, one ever couple of months or so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #26436
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've finished Die Again by Tess Gerritsen. It was good, but not wonderful. There is one more book to read in the Rizzoli & Isle series. I'm hoping that one is better.

Now onto something different. I've started reading Star Trek: ENT: Rise of the Federation: Patterns of Interference by Christopher L. Bennett.
Quote:
The time has come to act. Following the destructive consequences of the Ware crisis, Admiral Jonathan Archer and Section 31 agent Trip Tucker both attempt to change their institutions to prevent further such tragedies. Archer pushes for a Starfleet directive of non-interference, but he faces opposition from allies within the fleet and unwelcome support from adversaries who wish to drive the Federation into complete isolationism. Meanwhile, Tucker plays a dangerous game against the corrupt leaders of Section 31, hoping to bring down their conspiracy once and for all. But is he willing to jeopardize Archer’s efforts—and perhaps the fate of an entire world—in order to win?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #26437
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Stoneskin by K. B. Spangler. Very nice, though it is apparently the first of several books yet to be published.

Now I am reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating & What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #26438
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Still reading Provenance on my Kobo.
Finished this in the hotel room last night. It was terribly fun, even though I wish there has been a bit more of some of the non-human species' stories. That I know of, this is not meant to be a series, though it easily could have been the start of one.

I have a few hours before the drive home, so I am going to start The Art of the English Murder: From Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes to Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock, which caught my eye at the library.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #26439
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters. The 13th in her Cadfael series.
Which I finished some time ago (24th September!), and was the usual 'fun'.

Since then I've been reading Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. The ideas and characters are all good, but wow, it's long-winded. About 3/4 of the way through it so far!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #26440
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Both are excellent. I've read all the Hornblowers, but I'm working my way through the Sharpes in a leisurely fashion, one ever couple of months or so.
I'm slightly over halfway through the Sharpe novels. They get pretty repetitive, but when you're in the mood it's good to know there's another on tap.

Hornblower is a pleasure I have yet to get to; no doubt had I grown up male I'd have read them long ago.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #26441
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Since then I've been reading Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. The ideas and characters are all good, but wow, it's long-winded. About 3/4 of the way through it so far!
Hamilton's a master of the Unnecessarily Long Infodump! Still ... those first two books of the Commonwealth Saga were--by far--my favorites by him (yet).

I'm just starting Stanley J. Weyman's The Castle Inn from our very own library (thanks GrannyGrump!).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #26442
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
set!
You'll definitely want to read the Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian, timebug. Of the three, it is, IMNSHO, the best. And by a goodly margin. I've read all the Hornblowers (twice, once when I was a youth, and more recently in eBook format), and most of the Sharpe series (I bogged down in Spain for a bit, but then picked back up.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #26443
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished Six Wakes (Audio) by Mur Lafferty. Read by the author herself. I own the ebook, and it was enjoyable to hear whilst driving.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #26444
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
It took me just over three months to read all 10 books (approximately 11,000 pages) in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. If you are a fan of epic fantasy I highly recommend. Overall, I'd give the series a strong 4 out of 5 stars.

I did feel the author went overboard at times providing to much philosophy/motivation for why certain characters took the actions they chose. Also, the character list can be a bit staggering especially as the author kept unveiling new ones while you are still trying to keep up with all the previous characters.
Thanks for the recommendation! That's one of those series that comes to my attention periodically. It sounds worthwhile.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #26445
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Finished! Well, it was a long read, but it was most enjoyable. But it may be some time before I start another of these massive books.

Next up: Sharpe's Company by Bernard Cornwall. I'm looking forward to a fun, quick read!