Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Downloaded ePub & now it says it is DRM'd

I bought & dnloaded an ePub & when I actually chose to "save file" I noticed the file name was "URLLINK.ccsm". How does this work? At some point I opened it in Sony Reader Library& an ePub file appeared, but Calibre will not open it. It says that I must remove the DRM first. I think I have the tools to do that, but I would like to know how this process will work in the future. How can I tell if they are DRMd before I buy them? The site mentioned that I should use Adobe Digital Edition, but I am trying to make Calibre my one manager for my eBooks.

Thanks,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
I bought & dnloaded an ePub & when I actually chose to "save file" I noticed the file name was "URLLINK.ccsm". How does this work? At some point I opened it in Sony Reader Library& an ePub file appeared, but Calibre will not open it. It says that I must remove the DRM first. I think I have the tools to do that, but I would like to know how this process will work in the future. How can I tell if they are DRMd before I buy them? The site mentioned that I should use Adobe Digital Edition, but I am trying to make Calibre my one manager for my eBooks.

Thanks,
kev
You most open the file with Adobe Digital Editions First, that is you [ass to get the real file.
Calibre can manage the file, but it can't do any conversions unless you jailbreak the file (legally questionable)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Thanks,
Just getting my feet wet & am trying to minimuze the apps. that are in play. I De-DRM's the file & all is fine. Tomorrow I will set down a work-flow for myself, so I can keep it all sorted & a folder structure that has copies of the files & the originals. I also had to learn how to un-DRM a Barnes & Noble ePub that had CC incription. Soooo much fun!
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
You can't know with 100% certainty that an ebook is DRM'ed before you buy it. However, the following are good indications:
- If it says that you need Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader Library it is 99.9% sure
- Most books from the big publishers
- Most books from the big shops, like Amazon, B&N, Apple. In fact there are only few exceptions. Most notable amongst them are Baen and Smashwords.
Public domain books from sites other than shops are almost always without DRM, but in the shops you can't be sure.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
At some point I opened it in Sony Reader Library& an ePub file appeared, but Calibre will not open it.
You most open the file with Adobe Digital Editions First, that is you [ass to get the real file.
Calibre can manage the file, but it can't do any conversions unless you jailbreak the file (legally questionable)
When you opened it in the Sony library the software went out and grabbed the DRM'd epub. So you already have the epub and don't need to use Adobe Digital Editions.

As theducks says you can add it to calibre and use calibre to send it to your device without a problem. Calibre just can't convert it or view it because of the DRM. Personally I remove the DRM so I can convert the file to a larger default font and format it the way I like.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert