Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #31
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Lady Blue, I bought Ryleigh a teddy bear kit for Christmas. We are saving it for a summer project. Hopefully it will bear (pun intended) a resemblance to the picture on the box when we're finished. I've done a lot of home, clothing, and costume sewing but never a stuffed animal! Your daughter's work is beautiful and she is very creative! Has she done anything else since then?
I didn't know they made teddy bear kits. I got my patterns out of hard cover books. After that first one, I advanced to movable heads, arms and legs, miniatures, etc. Haven't made any for awhile now. Hope Ryleigh's bear turns out beautifully.

Funny thing about my daughter and creativity. She had absolutely no interest in crafts of ANY kind until she was grown. I always tried to get her interested in SOMETHING creative. I had always been handy enough with stuff like that myself, but she was never interested. Then all of a sudden she just blossomed into a very creative person and has made some wonderful things. I'll post some samples later, but gotta go now. She's on her way over with her beau and we'll visit and order pizza and maybe watch the Rangers/Yankees game (if I have MY way.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #32
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I am so impressed by all the talent we have on this thread so far! My additions are nothing much to look at, but I made them all up (I don't know "how" to sew, really) and they took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. More tears than sweat (my machine likes to give me problems sometimes). A little blood. I did this bunch here during Christmas break from school. Got a hankering, knew some needy kids (lol, births), and just went for it....

tooth fairy pillows for a few boys I know (or, this is how I spent Christmas Eve): http://proteacher.net/discussions/at...7&d=1230699041

baby blanket with binding: http://proteacher.net/discussions/at...9&d=1230699441

different baby blanket, no binding: http://proteacher.net/discussions/at...8&d=1230699256

I have never been accused of being an "artiste," but people have appreciated the gifts. At least to my face .....
Ooops, none of your links are working. They ask to 'sign in'....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #33
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I just noticed that too.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #34
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Here's a few websites I've designed for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web1-ESCL.gif
Views:	283
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	29887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web2-1001.gif
Views:	272
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	29888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web3-Copy.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	29889  
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #35
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm one of those crazy crafters who tries a little bit of everything and has a dozen projects going all the time. My hands are never still. That reminds me....I need to pack a craft bag for my trip to Mom's this weekend.

I've already shared a few of my magnets with DixieGal, Slayda, and the others who attended our Alabama meet-up. I crochet, sew, and paint. This is one of my favorite paintings.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #36
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I'm one of those crazy crafters who tries a little bit of everything and has a dozen projects going all the time. My hands are never still. That reminds me....I need to pack a craft bag for my trip to Mom's this weekend.

I've already shared a few of my magnets with DixieGal, Slayda, and the others who attended our Alabama meet-up. I crochet, sew, and paint. This is one of my favorite paintings.

Dreamer
I did some of those magnets once, I took the idea from Bust magazine. Depending of the pictures you chose, the results can be astonishings, and apparently, you succeeded far better than me! Your crochet work is beautiful, and I love the painting!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #37
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
This thread is so GREAT! It's getting my crafter juices flowing! Uh...I hope that's not to personal. I used to watch a show on HGTV called "Crafters Coast to Coast" where they showcased the amazing skills of crafters across America. I was enthralled with the people who were doing things like book binding, doll making, etc. I would tell my husband about it and I could see his eyes glaze over and here him thinking, 'Oh, no! Here she goes again. She's going to start another new craft. It's going to cost a ton of money and where are we going to put all the new tools and supplies she'll need!!'

RSE - Spectacular books! That is definitely a skill I wish I possessed!

DG - I did a little quilting when I was in high school (remember Holly Hobbies ) but never actually finished it. The time and patience required to create something as extraordinary as your quilt is beyond my comprehension!

Daithi - I created a web page (using MS Front Page) for a class a few years back. It was so completely amateurish compared to yours that I can't believe I'm even telling you about it!

Grace - My son Zack showed me how to use a website called tinypic to upload pictures. I had to resize to the medium size, select Apply, select Save a Copy and then copy and paste the URL into my post. It worked like a charm with my pics!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #38
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
My two main creative hobbies are painting and jewellery making.

Jewellery wise, I've just finished making a couple of pairs of cufflinks - one plainer, unisex pair, and one very blingy pair. (Made as in sawed the silver bar to size, filed teh edges, soldered the loop and chain in place, pickled, tumbled, added beads to head pins (some I made, some bought), and added the beads to the chain)

Paintings wise, these two are my most recent - they are acrylic on canvas, one's 4x5" the other 5x5"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000259.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	29895   Click image for larger version

Name:	button.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	29896   Click image for larger version

Name:	cluster.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	29897  

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 05-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
My two main creative hobbies are painting and jewellery making.

Jewellery wise, I've just finished making a couple of pairs of cufflinks - one plainer, unisex pair, and one very blingy pair:

Paintings wise, these two are my most recent:
Where are the pics?!?!!? Not that I'm shouting or anything.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #40
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where are the pics?!?!!? Not that I'm shouting or anything.
Erm, managed to not upload them - they're there now!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To all who want to make p-books, it really isn't too hard, with the following caveats:

1. You have to have special equipment. The more equipment you have, the more like commercial books they'll look.

2. They won't be cheap. This is not a craft you save money at!

The minimum equipment you have to have is a book press. I got mine on e-bay for slightly under $200. Really nice ones can run over $2,000... If you want to do folded books (like commercial books, where the paper is folded over and the edges are trimmed) required a trimmer, which cost $600 for a cheap one (they're called a book plow). I couldn't afford it, so I don't make folded books.

It's easier to buy the materials off the 'net pre-cut for the size you want. (trust me, cutting boards is tough work - far, far, easier to buy them pre-cut, in bulk).

You'll need a computer and a computer printer. You print out the sheet on the printer - odd number pages on one side, even on the other side. Black ink will last maybe 400 pages, front and back. You do the math for your printer's cost. I don't use the cheapo ink reloads, because if I'm gonna do all the work, I want the book to last...

There's a lot more, but I figure I've bored y'all enough...

But the results can be real pretty. (The book I showed cost around $200 to make. Boy Howdy! Color ink is expensive....)

EDIT: After making 20 or P-books. I discovered e-books. Scanning and proofing e-books is a piece of cake compared to making p-books.... But it is still a fine handcraft, and at the end, there is a great sense of pride in the making...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-27-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Greg Anos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #42
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Okay, I'll show my first attempt years ago at a Teddy Bear type thing. I've made many different bears after this one, but we always think most fondly of our first, I think. And yes, he does have an entire body (including legs); I just can't find a photo of his whole self.

Attachment 29858

This is NOT my only interest.
Awww - that bear is so very cute!

Quote:
Here are a couple of bracelets I have made. Nothing like Yvan's work but it keeps me out of the malls!

There are a few more pics on my personal page and some pics of Shannon's work, as well.

They're great - I love the first one especially

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh Kaz, those are beautiful! I'm almost ashamed to show any of mine. Almost. The green one is an aventurine that I mined myself in NC. The red one is a chrysanthemum stone cabachon that I bought.
Wonderful! I love the wire wrapping (I've tried that - the stones fall out...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
OK I guess I will be the first geeky entry. Hope this is ok.

As I say in my signature I live with a number (currently 6) of semi autonomous robots. They are mostly built out of stock parts from hobby shops or robotics websites but all have custom programming and some of the electronics are designed and made by myself.

The yellow one in the picture below is probably the oldest one I currently have being somewhere between 10 to 15 years old. That one was an experiment in programming an artifical insect.

The red one is more recent. He has bluetooth for digital communications (with my PC and subsequently my lights and appliances), a voice for vocal communication, a digital compass and PID motor control for navigation and sonar and IR for collision avoidance. Oh and the cat loves to play with him because he reacts to moving objects. Again all custom code.

Right that's my geeky Show and Tell, sorry they are not pretty but it is what I do when I am not reading.

Pev
I'm keeping the yeti away from this post! They may not be "pretty", but they look fantastic!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
To all who want to make p-books, it really isn't too hard, with the following caveats:

You could have been on that show "Crafters Coast to Coast".

THAT would have been something to watch!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #44
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You could have been on that show "Crafters Coast to Coast".

THAT would have been something to watch!

I am camera shy. Besides I read the book on making P-books and the created new ways to cheat on the work required (without sacrificing quality).

One of my goals is after I get enough Red stories written to make a book, is to actually make the book!

Mine, mine, all of it mine!
Greg Anos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #45
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Erm, managed to not upload them - they're there now!
Awesome, Am! You and I will have to go bead shopping sometime!