Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
tarifelagund
tarifelagund began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Broken PRS-505 Screen?

My PRS505's screen has lines going through it at the top when switched on and you can even see it when the reader is swtiched off.

I'm suspecting that the reader had a fall.

What can I do?
I've done the soft reset and am going to attempt the hard reset soon...

I bought the reader off eBay (can't get the reader in Australia) and am currently in France for a few months.

HELP!

Last edited by tarifelagund; 12-09-2008 at 06:36 AM.
tarifelagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as though either the screen controller or the actual glass substrate of the screen have been damaged. Sony will replace the screen (for about US$180, I believe), but you'll have to pay to have it shipped back to you.

Might be cheaper to buy another one 2nd hand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarifelagund View Post
My PRS505's screen has lines going through it at the top when switched on and you can even see it when the reader is swtiched off.

I'm suspecting that the reader had a fall.

What can I do?
I've done the soft reset and am going to attempt the hard reset soon...

I bought the reader off eBay (can't get the reader in Australia) and am currently in France for a few months.

HELP!
I feel your pain my friend. Today I was in such a rush to get my reader out of my bag while waiting for the train I didn't notice that the corner with the tag to hang a wrist strap had caught on a loose nylon thread from inside my bag... the reader slipped from my hand onto the floor flat with a nasty 'thunk' sound and is now history. The warranty expires in 3 days and as Harry has explained the costs involved in a repair make a replacement purchase almost equivalent in cost and faster.

I will miss my PRS505 over Christmas...
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately if you drop your Reader and break the screen, it's not covered by warranty anyway .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately if you drop your Reader and break the screen, it's not covered by warranty anyway .
Hi Harry, a very good point, and with the benefit of hindsight, and for my next purachse I would purchase the accidental damage warranty if possible. I usually avoid any additional warranty coverage but given the costs of repair it makes sense for me with the Sony Reader.

B&H Photo currently advertise a third-parties accidental coverage for purchase with the PRS-505 which I am enquiring about. I need to check with B&H Photo if it is available outside of the US since on one page it states explicitly it is available to international purchasers but when added to the shopping cart it states that it is US-only (excluding Florida).

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
tarifelagund
tarifelagund began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
not having warranty a huge problem for me as I got my reader off eBay as they aren't selling PRS-505s in Australia yet, so even if I could ship my reader off to the US to be fixed, it's going to cost me probably the same amount for a good secondhand one!

I've consoled myself by changing the top margin of my ebooks to 100pts so that i only have two fairly unreadable lines rather than 10 while I wait for my new reader to arrive...

Oh... the pain...

My screen isn't broken though (physically/cosmetically anyway), I just have horizontal and some vertical lines going through the top third of my reader that are kinda similar to the lines you can get on a LCD computer screen.
No quick fix?
tarifelagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbagsh55 View Post
Hi Harry, a very good point, and with the benefit of hindsight, and for my next purachse I would purchase the accidental damage warranty if possible. I usually avoid any additional warranty coverage but given the costs of repair it makes sense for me with the Sony Reader.

B&H Photo currently advertise a third-parties accidental coverage for purchase with the PRS-505 which I am enquiring about. I need to check with B&H Photo if it is available outside of the US since on one page it states explicitly it is available to international purchasers but when added to the shopping cart it states that it is US-only (excluding Florida).

Regards,
Marcus
I noticed that earlier today on the B&H site when I was about to order a reader, having also damaged my 500 without knowing how I did it. I'm going to try and call them when their phone lines open up in a couple of hours, and if I can get to the bottom of it I'll post the result here.

I'm in two minds however; I could get accidental damage, or I could get a good quality case to protect it, like the BookArmor case. Both aren't necessarily an option since my budget is somewhat tight.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Dop2009
Dop2009 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Does anybody know if a replacement screen can be purchased online somewhere?
I have two broken 505s and would like to repair them myself as sending them to Sony service would be too expensive...
Dop2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
barryo2002
barryo2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Bump!!
I know this is an old thread, but screen breakage is a daily occurence and i thought that this might help some of you guys. I have a "Papyre 6.1" (Spanish OEM of the hanlin V3) which uses the exact same screen as the SONY PRS-505. The serial number for the screen is ED060SC3(LF), which apparently is in short supply so it can be substituted by the screen number: ED060SC4(LF). I have found what i believe to be the cheapest supplier of this screen, which can be found here: http://laptopparts.en.alibaba.com/pr...brand_new.html
I already inquired and the price plus shipping to Spain is 70$ plus 30$ shipping. 100$ total. If i pay by paypal they ask for 4.5% extra, (cheap buggers!!) anyway, hope this helps some of you guys. 100$ with shipping included is still a lot cheaper that 180$ plus shipping that sony or Hanlin charges, Fitting the screen is really quite easy if you have a tiny philips head screwdriver and a bit of patience.
barryo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Unfortunately even replacing the screen is only apart of dealing with a broken screen... each screen needs to have the electronics set up to match... not a task for the amateur without the correct tools/software etc... I'm sure there's more on this subject elsewhere on the forum...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Dop2009

True.. There are different settings for each production batch of screens. If you don't have factory settings profile for the screen, don't buy it.
I bought the screen for my PSR-505, installed it, but picture quality was really bad - lot's of artifacts, poor contrast etc. I tried about 10 of different profiles, but none of them helped.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #12
barryo2002
barryo2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop2009 View Post
True.. There are different settings for each production batch of screens. If you don't have factory settings profile for the screen, don't buy it.
I bought the screen for my PSR-505, installed it, but picture quality was really bad - lot's of artifacts, poor contrast etc. I tried about 10 of different profiles, but none of them helped.
Well then, you learn something new everyday!! good job i posted here! I was currently debating whether or not to buy the screen for my reader. I never saw anything about needing factory settings anywhere though. Could anyone give a brief description of what the setup entails? Is the settings profile updateable through the readers USB or is it something that should be done before fitting the screen with some special hardware?

On another note, I have already bought the papyre 6.2, still waiting on delivery, it boasts a llinux O.S, wifi, web browser, built in speaker etc.

To be honest, Im a firm believer that a coffee maker should be able to make good coffee, and a mobile reader should be able to display Ebooks as well as possible. These days electronics are too centered on doing everything and anything and often the principal function suffers as a result.

I would have went ahead and got another 6.1, same as the one that broke, but the store doesn't stock them anymore. ,Anyone know if it corresponds to another "OEM" Hanlin model? The Papyre 6.1 is actually a Hanlin V3, but i can't find any information on the parent model of the Papyre 6.2.
barryo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
Dop2009

You can buy eInk reader for under $150 these days, so this whole discussion really has no sense now

About "factory profiles" - they are called waveforms, I downloaded them here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=243715#243715
(it's in Russian, use google translator)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop2009 View Post
You can buy eInk reader for under $150 these days, so this whole discussion really has no sense now

About "factory profiles" - they are called waveforms, I downloaded them here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=243715#243715
(it's in Russian, use google translator)
The waveform page is gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Andresita
Andresita began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Question Help

I have a Sony Ebook reader 505. Yesterday I accidentally dropped it on the floor and now the screen looks like the picture shows.
I don't think the screeen broken, but I'm not sure.
Any idea?

Thanks!

Andresita is offline   Reply With Quote