Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
PapaJohn
Enthusiast
PapaJohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Author sort on Kobo Aura One?

I have recently purchased a Kobo Aura One. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to do an author sort by Fn Ln. I have a plugboard that I used with my old Kindle DX for series/index/author that works just great on the Kobo, but I can't seem to get the sort order that I want for authors. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
PapaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What's the problem you are having?

Kobo devices do not use the author sort, only the author. It assumes any author is "LN FN" but doesn't handle two word surnames ("von Soandso"). "LN, FN" will work when sorting in the book list, but, Kobo uses the comma as the separator for multiple authors. The author collections are built based on the commas. So, "LN, FN" will produce collections for both "LN" and "FN".

And for the record, the plugboard I use for authors is:
Code:
{authors:'re(re($, '(.*) & ', '\1 and '), ' & ', ', ')'}
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
PapaJohn
Enthusiast
PapaJohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What's the problem you are having?

Kobo devices do not use the author sort, only the author. It assumes any author is "LN FN" but doesn't handle two word surnames ("von Soandso"). "LN, FN" will work when sorting in the book list, but, Kobo uses the comma as the separator for multiple authors. The author collections are built based on the commas. So, "LN, FN" will produce collections for both "LN" and "FN".

And for the record, the plugboard I use for authors is:
Code:
{authors:'re(re($, '(.*) & ', '\1 and '), ' & ', ', ')'}
So are you saying it's not possible to sort by first name in book view?
Not sure what your plugboard does....definitely above my pay grade.
PapaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJohn View Post
So are you saying it's not possible to sort by first name in book view?
Not really. The sort in the book list parses the author information based on rules built into the code and sorts on that. There are several long discussions on sorting in the Kobo forum. From memory, someone did post a plugboard to achieved this by replacing the spaces with another character. I can't remember if they used an underscore or some other character like a non-breaking space.
Quote:
Not sure what your plugboard does....definitely above my pay grade.
Sorry, I pasted an old version of the plugboard. The version above uses "and" as the connector between multiple authors. It would produced "FN1 LN1 and FN2 LN2". This doesn't work with the author list on the Kobo. This would be treated as a single author, rather than two.

The plugboard I am currently using is:
Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
This puts a comma between each author name. That works in all places on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #5
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Take a look at this discution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287230
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The plugboard I am currently using is:
Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Just two days back I realised that multi author books show only one author in kobo and was going through multiple threads and trying different solutions.

Anyways, this is working for me; thanks.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote